Parrot Cay

Parrot Cay by COMO
Hotels.com Expedia.com Splendia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Parrot Cay

No reason to leave the resort

by zeda61 about Beaches Resort

Turks and Caicos is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and Beaches Resort made everything very easy for us. We took our two under 10 year old daughters. Beach was beautiful, many pools, lots to eat and drink, good evening entertainment - there was no reason to leave the resort. Highly recommend it. Large clean pools and several of them. We stayed in the Parrot Cay in a Honeymoon Suite - lots of room for four of us. TV stations just like home!

In general

by miclev21

Club med was fantastic. You have tons of activities, there is a party every night.
You will probably not find that at the other resorts.
T&C is pretty much a golf place and relaxing except for Club Med which is very active. You can be romantic there; just escape to other parts of the island. I would see what others say at the above .com's.
You may want to look at Parrot Cay
Turk and Caicos Club
Grace Bay Club

Turks and Caicos is beautiful - water, beaches, etc. Perfect weather as well.

http://www.turksandcaicos.tc/ - some of the forums on here as well. The Sunset with Sharkeys.

SEADOO GUIDED TOUR

by islandjim

The Leeward side of Provo offers an excursion that should not be missed. It is the Seadoo guided tour. Similar to Jet Skis, the Seadoos are a sit down machine and very comfortable to drive. There is a compartment to keep your things dry, as well as a little glove box to keep a camera or something handy while driving. We took the 4 hour guided tour and on this day we were the only ones that signed up for the excursion. We arrived down at the marina, got our life vests and signed off on their release. We took off into some calm shallow water where you could see rays and nurse sharks only a few feet below the Seadoo. This was very exciting and as we continued our trip, we saw more. The tour takes you around the islands and past the vacation homes of Bruce Willis and Chuck Norris on Parrot Cay. The trip stops for a break at one of the islands that are used for picnics. You get off the Seadoo and can do some shell hunting or just explore the island. After about 20 minutes or so, you get back on the Seadoo to continue the trip. There is a supply ship that got grounded during one of the past huricanes and is sitting in about 12' of water. It is hard to believe that the waters were so bad that they actually picked this ship up and sat it down in the shallows. Deep water isn't anyplace close to where this ship sits. The guides are very knowledgeable about the area and will bring you to many interesting places. We highly recommend this excursion. Make sure you bring some water and maybe even a snack for your rest stop. Don't forget to tip your guide early in your trip.

All Day trip to Middle Caicos 2

by lkemerson

We took J&B Tours all day trip to Middle Caicos and loved it.

Captain Kevin was the only "crew" on our boat. It was the two of us, 3 gentlemen from Poland and one other couple.

The trip first stopped at Iguana Island, which we both felt was a waste of time. We saw iguana, but it wasn't that informative, and well...the iguana's were not that impressive.

Next we spend a couple hours on the boat, seeing the sights between Provo and Middle Caicos. Salt Cay, Parrot Cay.

The water out and away from Provo is even more impressive than the water around the island.

We stopped at Middle Caicos and were met by Ernst Forbes, our cave guide. The cave is very large. WEAR GOOD SHOES. No flip flops. Some of the surfaces are slick, there are no guard rails...it is you, your shoes, your flashlight and your balance. Ernst handed us all flashlights and in we went.

The caves were pretty interesting, and to tell the truth, made even more so by the 2 x 10 plank you have to cross at one point, and the no railing...and your scrambling to get from one point to the other and keep your footing. I loved it.

We left the caves and went to the beach for lunch. What a lovely place to luncheon. Lunch consisted of sandwiches, drinks carrots, rum punch. Was a good lunch.

I mentioned to Ernst that I would like to purchase a basket from one of the women of the island (population approx 300 souls) who weave them and sell them to shops. Better I pay them the price for a basket and they get the entire amount, rather than a consignment amount. He drove me to the home of one of the most lovely, warm, women. She sold me two baskets of very high quality for less than I would have paid for them in the shops on Provo.

On the trip back we stopped for a nice snorkel, and then back in to the dock.

It was a delightful trip. Well worth the cost.

I'd recommend the trip, J&B...and if Captain Kevin is still there, ask if you could go out with him.

not what we expected...

We went to Parrot Cay for our honeymoon. The service was inconsistent and a little aloof. The staff seemed to have difficulties with communicating in english (most are malaysian). The bizarre service became a joke ( to us as well as to other guests we met). We almost never received anything we asked for. We rarely received what we ordered. We'd call and ask for towels and they would bring one washcloth. We would order a sandwich and 2 sandwiches would arrive. I would ask for sparkling water and they would serve sparkling water to my husband (who asked for still water). It goes on and on and on... Some mistakes of note: our reservation was incorrectly booked - we had to produce a fax they sent us with the correct reservation. We were over billed anyway - around $800 in errors (good thing we spent over an hour of our honeymoon checking the bill). We were sent on a "sun and seclusion" beach picnic with walkie talkies to use that didn't work - we tried to call to have items brought to us and nothing ever came. Even though we heard a confirmation that they were sending it out. The fumigations are suspicious - I thought I was having an allergic reacion each night because I had hives and a racing heart beat. I later discovered that they sprayed our "garden area" each night and morning. The person spraying wore a ventilator. We slept with our sliding door open. Lastly, we observed that the staff seemed to prioritize guests. Certain celebrity quests had several servers attending to their tables, while we waited and waited for a server. There were so many more service issues... To summarize, I have worked in the service industry for over 10 years (fine dining and sales). I have received better service at Macaroni Grill, Amerisuites, and Sandals. It's very frustrating to pay 5 star prices at such a beautiful resort and receive some of the worst customer/guest service in your life. Parrot Cay is a lot of HYPE!!!!!!! I give Parrot Cay a 2 star rating.

Wonderful and breathtaking

My husband and I just spent a week at Parrot Cay. After seeing some of the reviews here, we were a little concerned with the hotel. However, after spending a week at Parrot Cay, the only thing I have to complain about is being at home now and not on the beautiful beach.

Compared to other places in the Carribean, the service from the staff was incredibly fast. Everyone was friendly. Got a complaint? Just let the staff know and they will fix it. Room service in your room? Call the front desk...Menus are readily available in your room. (the other reviewer claimed there were no menus, obviously they didn't look at the one provided in their room).

Despite having to deal with a day of no power and water (unplanned maintaince) we saw no reason to complain as management did a great job of complying to requests and offered free drinks for the evening at an impromptu cocktail party.

The water is absolutely beautiful and the white sand is amazing. The resort does a good job of making you feel pampered and welcome. The food in both restaurants was good, sometimes a little bland, but overall excellent.

We took an excursion one afternoon and got more then we paid for because it was just my husband and I, so we spent more time snorkeling and seeing things that we wouldn't have ordinarily seen.

If you are looking for a wild place with parties and lots of people and cheap service, go to Club Med on Provo. If you want some place relaxed, private and quiet, with beautiful beaches, Parrot Cay is the place.

Because the food is rather pricey, I would reccommend doing a package that includes dinner and bring your own alcohol. One martini is $15.00!

Overall an excellent place...we can't wait to return!

Best in Carribean!

This is the best resort I've been to in the Carribean, and I been to a lot. I have never written a review before, but after reading some on here about Parrot Cay, I felt I had to tell everyone it's great! I went with my boyfriend for 5 nights, and we are world travellers who normally stay at Four Seasons and the Ritz. This resort was great because it was a very high standard, but also unique. The food was awesome and the service great due to the hiring of mostly Asian staff, Unlike any of the other Carribean islands where you get quite an attitude. The other travellers there, were also really nice interesting people. I would definetly go back. My boyfriend and I are both around 30 and I would say that the resort caters to couples mostly in their late 20's to 40 's. I haven't relaxed so much in ages. I loved it.

Near-perfect Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member RichinBala

With a couple of exceptions (see below), my wife and I totally loved Parrot Cay. If you're looking for a quiet, elegant, expensive, and exclusive vacation spot, this is it. What we liked best was that it was not at all pretentious; no one was here to show off, since there were so few guests to impress (there were not many rooms). Just be sure to bring a few items to entertain yourself, such as a good book and CDs.

We liked the fact that each room had its own DVD player, and that for evening entertainment we could borrow from a list of hundreds of DVDs at the front desk.

What we did not like, and where there was room for improvement, was in the unnecessary, wasteful opulence. This opulence detracted from the experience, rather than enhancing it for us.

A couple of examples: All water was served out of plastic bottles. And they were ubiquitous at Parrot Cay. You can't get tap water--which tasted fine in the room--from any waiter in either of the restaurants. They insisted on bringing us a bottle every time.

Why do I harp on the bottles? Because they were a problem in the Caribbean. My wife and took three long walks along the gorgeous, "pristine" beach there (with the clearest water I'd ever seen), and each walk turned into a scavenger hunt! We picked up handfuls of plastic water bottles, styrofoam buoys, and motor oil containers (tossed overboard from boats) each time we walked the beach, and brought them back to the attendants so they could be properly disposed.

Undoubtedly, this problem will become more acute as more planned development takes place on the island and in the rest of the Caribbean.

Another unnecessary opulence: Give guests the option, which they don't have now, to re-use their towels so as not to waste water and energy. I've stayed at amazing five-star hotels where a simple cardboard or plastic "tent" in the room instructs guests on what to do if they don't want their towels refreshed. The hotel management should not assume that just because their guests are wealthy, they need to be wasteful. I continuously felt guilty about how much I was consuming just by being there.

Other suggestions for improvement are: 1) Offer something on the menu that is simple. Sometimes it's nice to have a break from gourmet foods for one meal and eat a basic PB and J sandwich...

2) Since the best snorkeling is some distance off the coast, include that in the price of a stay (even if that raises the basic price marginally) and offer that excursion a couple times per week to all guests.

All in all, it was a remarkably relaxing vacation. And ignore the earlier postings about bugs; if they were once a problem, they're not any more!

Honeymoon in Paradise (Just for the Rich)

The most amazing ocean colors anyone would ever find in a perfect white sand beach; outstanding service and a totally cool and relaxed atmosphere. To resume the experience, imagine yourself laying on a beach chair around 2pm and someone from the staff comes smiling with ice cold aromatized face towels. 15 min. later another smily guy passes with complimentary guava icepops and asks you if you'd like to suggest tomorrow's flavours. The room is comfortable (dvd player, Bose stereo, flat panel Sony tv, king size bed with extra soft pillows and great linen, ar conditioner, fully equiped minibar, reading chairs), the bathroom is also very good and the amenities are just right (excellent smells for all "shambala" products, specially the algie soap bar). The food is probably the only "if": while the asian " flair" of the resort requires ingenuity in the kitchen, the Lotus restaurant (beautiful asian architecture) requires the guest to be open minded about flavours and it's not for everybody (sometimes too spicy or just too different).
The Terrace restaurant is correct but not superb and portions are quite small (although price is really big). Thumbs up (really up!) for breakfast: just perfect in every sense, specially the carrot juice with ginger and the outstanding fruits and yogurts. A good tip: the Shambala menu can be ordered until 9pm at any of the resorts restaurants or at room service and have excellent "common" food alternatives. The issue with eating at Parrot Cay is more the price of it: these were the most expensive dinners we ever had at a resort, you won't leave the table spending less than $150 per couple without wine! The price of optional tours and spa treatments are also out of proportion and they should reconsider them. Bottomline: nothing to disappoint you if you're rich and are looking for the PERFECT BEACH. We'll be back asap!

Turks & Caicos Islands

by DivaKaren

"Living and working in the Turks & Caicos Islands"

I lived full time on Parrot Cay (a private island) in the TCI for 1 1/2 years until the end of 2007. I now live there part time and continue to work at Parrot Cay resort and spa. It is a challange to live on a private island with no stores or restaurants. The resort is the only thing on the island. It is perfect for a relaxing get away, but quite isolated to actually live there!

Working on this private island is also an adventure. The pace of life and work on this Caribbean island is quite different than the hustle of Washington, DC in the USA. It takes a little while to learn to slow down.

The islands are absolutely beautiful and have not been polluted by people. The water ranges from gorgeous shades of green and blue and blends into the blue sky on the horizon.

The beaches are pristine and have the most wonderful white sand. The sand does not get hot even during the highest heat of the day. You never have to run across the sand because it is burning your feet.

Work and life on a private island is difficult, but the scenery is so beautiful it makes up for it when you get the chance to enjoy it.

Parrot Cay from the planeParrot Cay from the plane

View of Parrot CayView of Parrot Cay

Liz and I in the Riviera PoolLiz and I in the Riviera Pool

Tee shirtsTee shirts

Where to go?

by mevelat

We would like to go to Turks and Caicos Island for our next vacation (in November), but where to go? There are too many islands and resorts. Where is the best spot for scubadiving, beach, nightlife and water activities (not necessary all-inclusive resorts, we would like to visit and try different things... Any suggestions? We will be two couples (4 adults). Thanks in advance!

Marie and Eric

Re: Where to go?

by Sergeyu

As I understood you don't want to ahve it quite ( in this case I would recommend Parrot Cay, if that is within the budget), then I had really good experinec at The Palms on Providenciles - teh rooms had indded good furniture, very nice staff, many from SEAsia, very god for the region food, good beach & iots facilities vs. any other hotel on the Grace Bay. When arranging the room, make sure you do not get it to Alexandra Villas side - in summer ether was a lot of construction, I don't know how it looks now - teh cfonstruction was far from teh beach, but to gte windows that side is not a enjoyable. To get seaview room in my opinion not good option too - as actullly most of these rooms looks straight to noisy pool- however in this case you be able to take alook on you kids, if left there. See pics on my travel pages.

Scuba diving and snorekelling not really strong feature here, but still you have number of options.

For the nightlife - you can go to Club Med for evening parties or to some bars in the town, not so many option and there is no large discos or alike on TCI .

Beware TCI is by far not cheap place.

If hav eany particular quation, tehn please inquire.

Re: Where to go?

by travelcoop

Provo is probably the best option for all that you want. If your interests are in hotel, Turks and Caicos Club and Coral Gardens, both on Grace Bay are nice, not too big. We always rent villas and there are some really nice one for small groups. If you rent a car, Grace Bay Rentals is very reliable and if something goes wrong, they will fix it. Todd Gray Owns its. There are two casinos on the island. Have not been in them but I hear they are nice. Horse Eyed Jacks in Blue Hills is a really casual cool restaurant/bar with pretty decent food. Plus you can sit outside on the beach. Coyaba is really a nice restaurant and I had the best cocanut pie ever at Coco Bistro. There is also a wonderful wine bar called Magnolia near Turtle Cove. The views in the evening are lovely, as is the food. We went snorkling with Big Blue several times. They were really knowledgeable and so much fun, especially Mark and Donny. If you like to ride, Provo Ponies gives a nice ride on the beach. Spas are expensive as are manicures and pedicures. Do it before you come. IGA is pretty good for food shopping and if you hit it right, you'll get to talking with Keith Richards. He parks himself out front sometimes. Hope ths helps.

Comments