Grace Bay, (formerly The Palms Turks and Caicos), Caribbean
Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about The Regent Palms

Passable but needs work at Palms

Most important, we enjoyed our stay and would return. Our two-bedroom unit was fantastic and had beautiful views of pool and ocean. The beach was beautiful and pool and spa wonderful, though just as crowded as other reports indicate -- reserve pool chairs early. The service was generally excellent though the concierge staff, and one women in particular, seemed especially indifferent. On the down side, do not count on the Palms for any rides, no matter what they say. The hotel promised we would be picked up at the airport, we were not. Every other hotel was there but we were abandoned and had to beg a ride from another hotel driver. The hotel gave us a substantial 10% discount for the inconvenience, but then the hotel left us without promised return rides two nights in a row when we went out to dinner. Thank god we took the card from the other hotel's driver who we called to pick us up each night. When this was reported to the concierge, the response was "oh, sorry." Not much of an answer when you are stranded late at night with children in another country. The main resturant, Parallel 23 was terrific, the chef wonderful and worth the expensive price tag. The pool resturant, Splash, was underwhelming, expensive, and not half as good as Hemingway's right down the beach a short walk away. The Spa was small but exceptional, we all had treatments and they were outstanding. In fairness, I have to say that we arrived just after the hotel was opening, and you have to allow for some growing pains. Although the concierge staff merits training on any number of fronts, the hotel is the perfect place to go in the right season (late winter, early spring). Last tip -- avoid Beaches at all costs -- people were trying desperately to leave Beaches and check into the Palms for all sorts of horrible reasons.

the palms-the good, the bad, and the ugly

by TripAdvisor Member jinferno

Just got back from The Palms and after reading the mixed reviews here on the site, I thought I'd weigh in with my humble opinion. First, the UGLY...NOTHING in this area. The BAD. Maid service that was bipolar--manic cleanliness followed by depressive apathy towards my room. Prices that were in another galaxy--$22.00 mohito ( I blame myself for this one--but it was hot and I was thirsty!). Costco toilet paper ( if you were lucky to get some--apparently Mr. Whipple was hogging all the charmin!). Our last day, they ran out of beach towels--forced to drip dry in the ever so warm and humid carribean spring time weather.
The GOOD!
-- My room was amazing! I had the luxury room intially( which was nice) and upgraded to the 1br suite which was fantastic . First class all the way! The shower and surround sound were the best parts.
--The spa was very posh. My sports massage was performed with professionalism and my therapist was so good that she is in my Will. The gym was very well equiped also.
--Free internet use in the business center was a plus and the included continental breakfast was a bonus ( try the reqular menu for breakfast, the prices for this was reasonable).
--Parallel 23 has good food so long as you are not very hungry ( the portions must be scaled for hobbits).

And now a few words about the staff--many guests that I spoke with had mixed reviews about how they were treated by the staff at The Palms. I can only say that my interactions with them were very positive. They were very polite and accomidating. When I had an issue or a request, it was adressed and resolved to my satisfaction in a timely fashion. They went out of their way to help me ( Alexis at the front desk and Paul in the gym were exceptional professionals at their jobs).

It all boils down to a guests expectations. For the prices, people expect Ritz Carlton/ Four Seasons like treatment. The Palms is trying, but needs time to grow, its at about the terrible 2's in terms of development ( some good days, some bad), but overall moving forward. I look forward to returning in the near future.

PS--go to Magnolias at sunset for dinner...loved it!

Lovely place but very very expensive!

by TripAdvisor Member cheekyyyzs

I just had to add another comment on the price of food/drink at the palms - we stayed there in june 05.

One morning i fancied pancakes, bacon and egg x2, I didn't imagine paying $70 dollars for it!!

We ate at one of the two resaurants (not parallel 23) and ordered the chicken(which was as if it had been dragged along the sea bed it was soooo salty), one salad, two sides of fries and one glass of red wine! We payed $180!

I don't know about you but I do really appreciate value for money!

I wouldn't let that put you off staying at this hotel as it is a very nice place and the staff (I found) were friendly.

Use the "Restaurants to go" service, you can pick up a list of all island restaurants from the concierge and have food delivered to you, costing considerably less.

Better still, get a taxi and go out of an evening!

Truly terrible

This resort ranks as the worst in service and treatment I have encountered in travel - ever. While I do agree with the previous review that some of this is based on expectation, why should we not expect above average service and guest treatment at a resort claiming 5 star luxury? If I was willing to settle for less, I would have stayed somewhere else to begin with.

I will also mention the good - Grace Bay was incredibly beautiful and relaxing, and the spa at the Palms was wonderful. The resort itself and the rooms were exquisite and if paired with a luxury resort service package and staff that makes a guest feel welcome and happy to be there would be a combination one couldn't resist.

We experienced several problems with the service (too numerous and detailed to give proper justice here), were told that the hotel did not have enough iPods for all the guests so we would have to wait until another guest was finished with theirs, and for several days were unable to find a seat at the pool (although we were told between the beach and the pool there was enough seating which was correct, we spent most of our time on the beacy). We communicated our issues to management and rather than receiving an acknowledgement and perhaps a simple apology - we received a shocking, insulting letter from management stating that our concerns were inaccurate. Can you believe that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all the places I have visited whether 5 star or not, I have never had to actually ASK for as much service and assistance as the Palms, and never before have I been that insulted, in writing, since the manager would not call or meet with us. I am uncertain as to what the management believed our motivation to lie about problems we encountered (the response actually documented that staff had refuted our "story") . Why would a guest put energy into communicating concerns if they were untrue? Perhaps there are reasons, but they did not, nor do they now enter my mind. I was simply distressed that I was not getting the luxury resort service.

I was so put off by the response, I started second-guessing whether these incidents really happened to us!! But we met and talked with several other guests at the resort during this time that had the same or similar problems. We were not going crazy, wrong, or lying -- this place has problems, and management tactics with guests I hope never to run into again.

I wholeheartedly recommend Turks and Caicos and Grace Bay, but really, this resort made me feel bad, and you don't want that on your vacation, especially if it is valued time off from a hard working schedule. Stay somewhere that makes you feel good and enjoy your time!!

Horrible

i agree 100% with the below. service was non existent and the staff was incredibly rude. you will meet a better staff at a holiday inn then at what is supposed to be a "leading hotel of the world". we knew it was risky to go to his new hotel and it was not worth the money at all! trust us and don't make the same mistake that we did. it is very frustruating to try and get a chair, towels, drinks and service - that is not what a vacation, expensive or not, is about. go to an established hotel with a great reputation.

one more thing - you are looking at and listening to construction right next door. is that a caribbean vacation?

it was horrible.....

Dieter's paradise!

After reading some of the reviews, I went to the Palms with few expectations. The hotel is quite beautiful, our room was lovely and the gym was great! Overall we had a great time, despite the obvious growing pains the hotel is experiencing.
We really had to ask for everything! I often found myself asking for what should have already been on the table at Parallel 23, such as salt and pepper and napkins. The staff was generally polite, but not necessarily pleasant.
At the beach, we had to ask for towels, and the attendants would give them to us with attitude! They never seemed to have enough towels, even though the resort was obviously not even close to capacity!
Two out of our five days there, I had to call housekeeping to ask if they were coming. We actually didn't mind if they didnt' clean every day, but we did mind if we didn't have dry towels or toilet paper, which there also seems to be a shortage of!!
Finally, we live in New York City and were a little shocked at the prices and portion size at Parallel 23, as well as Plunge. What seemed like two pieces of lettuce and a third of a chicken breast, was passed off as a main course salad, costing a cool $13!!!
For dinner, the entrees were in the 30's, and we mostly left the restaurant hungry. I've never really seen such small portions before in my life!
Some restaurants serve small portions, but they're usually part of a tasting menu that includes 7-9 courses. This was tasting menu portion size, at the bargain price of $34!!!
My husband was so hungry that he ordered a dessert, hoping that would fill him....big mistake....the dessert was literally three tablespoons of chocolate something or other. It was unbelievable!
At least we didn't gain weight on vacation! That's a first!

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member uk_beachman

Not much to add to the previous 2 reports. The service is mediocre, the food good but very expensive. If you dine at Parallel 23, you better bring a magnifying glass because they're still living in the 1970's.(Nouvelle cuisine reigns supreme.)Also extremely irritating is the music throughout the resort. You can't get away from it. It's like Beaches without
the kids. Turks and Caics are still wonderful, especially the outer islands, but as for the Palms: Never again !

Come down to earth!

by TripAdvisor Member Alex012

We ate dinner at the Palms main restaurant, Parallel 23 on 20th June.
First of all, the music was so loud (and very inappropriate for this kind of establishment) I thought I was at a disco and not in a restaurant. I managed to get the volume reduced and was happy to hear my wife and the waitress with her "specials".
The service was "bon enfant" meaning friendly enough but far below the level you would expect in such an establishment.
A suggestion: bring a microscope to find what is on your plate if you go there....the portions are minuscule! This is what "nouvelle cuisine" was 20 years ago and this is also why it was not successful.
The food was quite good though, original in its presentation but the whole experience does not command such prices. Way overrated.
A final coment: the concept of an open kitchen can be attractive but to make it so, have a glass partition installed to cut on the terrible noise.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member RandyWest

The hotel is very luxurious with great decor and fantastic service. All the staff are very friendly and I don't understand why it had such bad reviews regarding staff. Of course being the Caribbean, people are a little laid back but everyone was very friendly and seemed to go above and beyond to insure that our stay was a pleasant one.
Our room was great. The decor was very tasteful with some great amenities such as a small fridge and kitchenette. Each room comes with a balcony and a sitting area with TV etc.
Because everything is so new it was all spotless. We did not have any problems regarding noise even though there is some construction going on beside the hotel.
The restaurant is beautiful and food is definitely 5 star. We noticed that the restaurant was very popular among locals who come from all over the island to enjoy the food and atmosphere at The Palms.
The pool and beach area was superb. There are even large round sofa type loungers surrounding the pool. These are great to spend the day lounging on around the pool. The swim up bar is very popular at lunchtime and is a great way to stay cool in the summer months.
The island itself was not very pretty and we found that everything was very overpriced.
If you stay at the Palms you must visit the Spa. It has a very Zen type atmosphere with beautiful gardens and ponds. I recommend the Zaruba treatment, which is one of the hotel's signature treatments. It consists of stirring some herbs in a pot whilst sitting in a sealed tent. This helps to open the pores and sweat our toxins. This is followed by an incredibly relaxing massage. I enjoyed every minute!
If you are looking for a very relaxing and romantic get away I really recommend The Palms Hotel.

absolutely perfect

by TripAdvisor Member Chip2010

I'm writing this because of other reviews that I read which were very negative. We just got back from this hotel and our stay was absolutely perfect. When we arrived, we were greeted with a cold beverage and immediately introduced to a greeter that performed an in-room check in where everything in the room was explained to us. We were also provided complimentary ipods to use during our stay. The room was unbelievable. It was slathered in marble and other stone. The toiletries provided were Acqua di Parma, which are sold in Saks and other top stores. Their pool had an infinity-edge which seemed to disappear into the Caribbean and which had stools where you could sit in the pool while at the bar to enjoy lunch or a cocktail. To be fair, there were a couple of things that I think they could improve on: First, do not eat at their signature restaurant, Parallel 23. It is overpriced, the food is fair at best and the portions are so small that you need to go somewhere to eat afterwards. Second, there were 2 beach attendants that cursed a lot, which did not bother me, but would have if my children had been with me, and they cared a lot more about steering guests away from certain watersport vendors and towards the ones that gave them a kick back.
However, these are minor things and would not prevent me from returning. In fact, we will do so. Please remember that when you read some of the negative reviews, that this Hotel has only been open for several months. It will take some time to work all of the kinks out, but they have a great thing going there and you should experience it for yourself.

Comments