5000 Estate Chenay Bay, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Warning

Since I knew someone who had stayed here and thought they were satisfied, I decided to make a reservation. But I saw something on the internet that said it was not available and was being sold. I tried to find the hotel website to make a reservation. But I found myself at HotelPlusPortal.com and made the reservation because they showed availability.

But I was worried. So I called and they called the hotel and the hotel said that they would prefer if I made the reservation for the week after the one I had made because it WAS being sold the week that I booked. So I changed the reservation, but ---

Advance Purchase Rate Plan 30day / The rate plan for this roomtype requires a prepayment in full via credit card, at the time of booking. Benefit from this advance purchase special without the usual restrictions. Our exclusive cancellation protection (included for only $33.00 USD) allows you to cancel or modify your reservation for any reason prior to 30 days of the check-in date and receive a refund of up to 80% of the advance purchase rate plan.*

So I was charged 20% for changing the reservation. Then when I talked to the people I knew that had stayed there, they said they would not go back there again on a bet, so I canceled. And was charged another 20% for a reservation which they should not have taken as it was not really available.

Unique Quality: Fully equipped kitchenette, Air Conditioned, Cable TV, Ceiling Fan and Private Porch

Directions: At Henry E. Rohlsen Airport Make left onto Rt. 64 follow to traffic light,(Route 66) Make right turn (Highway) follow to Route 70 (traffic light). Go thru light onto Rt. 70. Follow Rt.70 East to Route 75. Make right onto Route 75. Road becomes Rt 82 East.

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Anniversary Stay

We stayed here for a week to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and were generally happy with it. We had our own cabin with a kitchen and a great view. It was very relaxing.

But the electricity kept going off for no reason that we could see. I wouldn't stay here again.

More about Chenay Bay Beach Resort

Our 16 years at Chenay Bay

by TripAdvisor Member DickKarolOberle

Christiansted: Chenay Bay Beach Resort: "Our 16 years at Chenay Bay"
May3, 2005: A TripAdvisor Member, Silver Spring, MD

We have been vacationing on St. Croix for 16 years. Our first trip was to visit friends living there, and at that time we fell in love with the water, the beach and the sunsets! We stayed at Chenay Bay as a couple for several years. Then as our family grew, children married and grandchildren came along, we found it a wonderful gathering spot. The calm, protected beach offers safety for children and serenity for stressed adults! This same calm beach is a gateway to great snorkeling, scuba, windsailing and kayaking - all right there.

Chenay Bay has been constantly improved. The newly updated restaurant and its tropical entrance is a stunning example. The time share cottages are beautifully decorated and the rental units are updated as well. They all reflect a distinctive Caribbean flare.

The personal touch of the entire staff at this family owned resort, the beautiful sunsets, (which we gather to toast every night!) the excellent dining, both at Chenay Bay and the many high caliber restaurants on the island, have kept us coming back year after year. Our family always looks forward to this idyllic time together.

Decent but not above average

by TripAdvisor Member Havetimetotravel

Chenay Bay Beach Resort was not as bad as I expected it to be, based on the negative reviews previously written. We had a great view overlooking the ocean, there are nice trees and flowers throughout the complex, and the beach is close. We also got greeted by some very cute cats. The rooms were not dirty and pretty decent. Greg, the director of guests services took the time to greet us and gave us info about the island and the culture.

The resort is very laid back which also makes it pleasant.

The things and reasons that cause me to say this resort is not above average is the following:

The beds in our room only had a bedspread draped over them and NO SHEETS! I did not discover this until we were ready to go to bed so I called the emergency number and the woman that answered was not polite. I had explain the situation to her more times than necessary and pretty much had to talk her into giving us sheets that night. We ended up getting the sheets but went through unnecessary hassel to get them.

The beach is pretty decent but the sand is "sandbox" sand and not the nice white powdery sand that you would find in Hawaii, Cancun, and Miami. There are lots of rocks at the bottom of the water so you have to be careful when walking into the ocean. There are pretty nice kayak's you can use for free so take advantage of that. We kayaked to the island across the beach and it was one of the highlights of the vacation.

We tried getting an afternoon meal at the resort's restaurant but nobody came to greet us for 10 min. so we left. The people I was with overheard the waiter complaining about how he was overworked and did not like his job.

Other than that, everthing else was okay and we had a very nice vacation overall. Be sure to rent a car since you can't walk anywhere from the resort. The things I enjoyed on the island are the shops and restaurant at Christianstead and snorkling on Buck island.

Oh my, this looks like Wisconsin

I stopped in to Chenay Bay last week. We sat down on the beach lounge and immediately were asked to pay $5 per chair. We did and looked around at the cabins. Yuck! The "beach" is really rough grass and the cabins look like something out of a scary B movie. The sounds we heard were that of a blender squeeling out dacquiris at the beach. If you want to see what a real resort is, try Divi Bay Resort and Casino. You can use their beach, chairs, hammocks, etc. and no one will charge you a thing. Plus, at Divi there are cute cabanas and a fabulous beach.

Chenay Bay looks like the end of route 66 in the year 1960. I wouldn't consider staying here even if it was free.

Thank you!!

Let me start by thanking Peter and Debi for their wonderful hospitality! I can honestly say they went above and beyond to take care of us and make sure our stay was memorable. Shaun, Jennifer, Robert and myself spent a week at Chenay Bay back in May and had a wonderful time. The grounds were well kept, the food was outstanding and the activities kept us as busy as we wanted. We went to Christiansted a couple of times and the front desk was always happy to call us a taxi. Our taxi driver, Alphonso also took care of us! He even took us by Schooner Bay market so we could pick up a few groceries. If you are considering a stay on St. Croix, please give Chenay Bay a look. It is an outstanding property with outstanding hospitality and beautiful views. Once again, thank you Peter and Debi! You guys are simply the best!

Perfect Escape for "Chilling"

My wife and I (we are in our 50's) needed a week away after a particularly stressful 2004. We looked for a location where we could primarily relax, swim, snorkel, eat some good food (not necessarily at a fancy restaurant), and basically "chill out". After cruising the net and reading numerous reviews we elected to try Chenay Bay this past December.
Re. Chenay Bay:
Accomodations and Grounds: The resort is comprised of one and two unit cottages with a small percentage used as timeshares. The units are either efficiencies, one bedroom or two bedroom. We stayed in the basic efficiency which had a large bed, a table with two chairs, bathroom with shower, and ktichenette with a 2 burner cook top, microwave, and fridge. A front porch with table and chairs had a limited but nice view of the grounds.The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff kept it that way. The grounds were very pretty and well kept.
Ammenities: Laundry facility available if needed. Iron, ironing board, and hair dryers are supplied if requested. There is no extra charge for any of the beach items; chairs, mats, floats, snorkeling gear, sunfish sailboats, and Kayaks.
Beach: Excellent ! Calm water but for the best snorkeling you will need to go out to the point or kayak across to the Cay.
Food and Beverage: The food and drinks were excellent and priced in line with most of the other establishments that we tried. The menu is not very large so if you want a lot of variety, you will want to eat out some. Given that the restaurant and bar are "open air", we were pleasantly surprised by the relative lack of insects.
Staff: Very friendly, courteous, informative, and accomodating without being intrusive.
General: If you are looking for a resort with lots of "action", spas, loud nightlife, and organized daily activities then Chenay Bay is not for you. If you are looking to relax and enjoy the Caribbean at a resort that will accomodate you as much or as little as you desire, then you won't be disappointed at Chenay Bay.
Other: We were not going to rent a car but changed our mind when we arrived at the airport and calculated what the potential taxi expense would be for the week. It was well worth the $250 to go on a couple of road trips visiting the different beaches, bars, and sights (Yes, driving on the left did take a little getting used to but was not too bad since the cars driving wheel was still on the left). Food is fairly expensive both in the restaurants and grocery stores but that is to be expected since most of it has to be shipped in.
Things/Places we enjoyed in addition to the Chenay Bay environment:
Sunrise at Point Udall; Saturday night Blues Concert at Lobster Reef Cafe; driving through the rain forrest; Cruzan Rum Distillery; the mongooses; Big Beard's Buck Island tour, Christiansted, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Duggans Reef, RumRunners, Junies, Golden Rail Cafe (lobster nuggets and killer bloody marys).
Would we go back ? We will probably try out a few more of the Islands but I am betting that we will end up returning to St. Croix and Chenay Bay !

Everything we could've asked for

by TripAdvisor Member bupah

We just got back from an 8 day trip to St. Croix, 4/2 - 4/9 and stayed at Chenay Bay Resort. We got to the hotel at about 1 PM, about 2 hours before check-in time, but the folks at the front desk got us into our room immediately. We stayed in Cabin number 2 and it was great. Everything you needed was there or just a call away. For those who have spoken about the bugs and such in the rooms, there were not that many bugs in the room and some are to be expected with them being cabins, rather than a large hotel building and being on a tropical island. We spoke to both Greg, customer service director, and Peter, the owner, while we were there and both of them were so nice and helpful with any information you could want about the island.
The restuarant was above average for choices on the island. We tried a bunch of different places to eat. They all have a similar menu and for the most part similar prices. The staff was great and took care of us all week. They go out of their way to remember names and other information.
The pool and hot tub were very clean and enjoyable. The beach amenities are a very big plus for this resort. There are many kayaks and beach chairs for you to chose from. We kayaked over to Green Cay across the bay from the resort and it was a great half-day trip. We went over to the next hotel west of Chenay Bay and were a little shocked to see the prices for renting a chair, or hut, or kayak ($20 for a half day I think). So these "freebies" are a welcome inclusion.
One thing I will say regardless of the choice of hotel is, Rent A Car. There is so much to see on the island that it would have been a little sad to have missed some of them. It's only about 5-10 minutes to Christiansted from the resort and there were a couple of grocery stores along the way to get food to cook in the rooms.
The beach was pretty good, but I would recommend bringing Teva's or water socks or something as a lot of the beaches on the island are somewhat rocky. There are some fine sand beaches, but not too many of them.
Snorkeling just off the beach from the resort and at Green Cay accross the bay was great!! We saw pufferfish, tang's, a sting ray, lobster, etc. just off the beach. Only place we found better was the Buck Island trip.
All in all, the resort was perfect for our laid back easy vacation and we would stay there again in a hearbeat.

Laid back and relaxing!

by TripAdvisor Member misskitty45

Just returned from Chenay Bay two weeks ago (stayed over Christmas Holiday) and had the chance for the first time in six months to actually read a book. Whoo-hoo! If you're looking for laid back and relaxing this is definitely the resort/island for you. If you're looking for nightlife then you might want to consider going elsewhere. A few negative comments (very few), many positive and a couple of helpful hints.
NEGATIVES - rental cars were in short supply on the island and several people staying at the resort never did get one. Unfortunately, despite the website of Chenay Bay indicating there was a shuttle to the grocery store, that apparently has been discontinued, so unless you have a vehicle, it'll cost you at least $15 RT to go to the nearest grocery store. A minor inconvenience and annoyance, but they do need to update their site. The resort did seem to also have a shortage of beach chairs, but generally speaking there were sufficient numbers to go around.
POSITIVES - there were many many positives -- property was immaculate, staff were extremely professional and helpful and the rooms were very clean. It was great being able to save a bit of money on food by having a refrigerator/microwave/stovetop -- if only to have a bit of cereal & coffee in the morning or to make a quick sandwich for lunch and head for a picnic or to the pool. We did eat dinner at the restaurant which was very good and a beautiful view. Very pretty beach with a small reef off the shore. Pool and hot tub were great!

HELPFUL TIPS:

1) make car reservations during peak times or you'll have problems getting around -- we used Olympic Car rentals - 1-888-USVI
2) great resaurants - Duggin's Reef (right on the water); Luncheria (in town) - the best Mexican restaurant I've ever been to; Case Place (near the ferry) was superb although they allowed smoking which was a minor turnoff -- breath through your mouth! -- the food was exquisite; Cheeseburgers in Paradise was great.
3) The ONLY guy to do the trip to Buck Island with is Llewellyn Westerman who does a PRIVATE family trip (up to 6) on a sailing-only boat that I believe he built, Charis. He’s local color at its best—and he performs at CHEESEBURGERS IN PARADISE. Most of the locals recommend this person because he leaves from the St. Croix Yacht club close to Buck Island, plus he's quite a character. we met several people who took the other big tours to Buck Island and they didn't have nearly as good a time as we did.

Llewellyn Westerman
LLEWELLYN'S CHARTER
P.O. Box 222908
Christiansted, VI 00822
Phone: 340-773-9027

4) Not much in Frederickstead except for several beautiful beaches and very cool beachside restaurants
5) Cane Bay and the drive in that vicinity are not to be missed.
6) we went to the Whim Plantation which all of us (including a 16 & 11 year old) actually found interesting as well -- good place to learn more about the Island and its early history.
7) While Schooner Bay is the closest grocery store, we found it to be a bit pricey. if you have a car, best place to shop is where the locals do at Sunny ISle Plaza (big strip mall with several fast food places and a grocery store)
8) Internet access - we found a reasonably priced place right in Christiansted at a copy shop (very nice shopkeeper)

overall, we had a great time and would definitely consider going back.

Marvellous trip

We went to St-Croix the last two weeks of October (2004) to play golf. The weather was very nice, about 27-28 C (not sure what that gives in F). We were very impressed by the hospitality of the people living on the island. They were extremly friendly and always willing to help. Also the police were very friendly.

We played golf at Carambola and Buccaneer. Both courses were in very good condition. Green-fee guests were very well treated. Carambola was a little bit more difficult. Both courses are hilly. You are allowed to walk the course if you have your own pull-cart, you can not rent pull-carts only buggies (cars). The greens were fine (average speed). Both courses had nice facilities such as restaurants etc.

We stayed at the Chenaybay Resort in a very nice cottage (separate little house) with a lot of room. It was very clean and the staff was very helpful and always ready to help. The surroundings were very nice and calm.

To summarize, excellent holidays!

We loved this Island and especially this resort! It was Everything we hoped for.

My husband, 7 yr old son and I just returned from an amazing week at this resort. I will say that before we left I read the previous review of this hotel and was very concerned. However, now my only concern is that someone who was obviously mad at having been asked to pay a small fee for a beach chair because he was not staying at the Hotel would leave such an unfounded and misleading review.
When we arrived it was late so they had complimentary sandwiches and cheesecake waiting for us in case we were hungry. Our cottage #5 was steps from the pool/hot tub and just a few steps more to the beach. The interior had tile and marble floors, really pretty rattan and mahogony furniture, nice TV, and nice efficiency kitchen. The Bathroom had a large shower, no tub. The ceiling arched up with beautiful pine board accents. We Loved it!! Greg (director of customer services and map drawer extrodinaire), helped us with our luggage down the pebble pathways and gave us very helpful information regarding the island including some of the local customs which made us feel so comfortable.
This is a great place to explore a truly beautiful beach with your children in great accomadations and Kayaks/ water equipment to use at will. This is a small quaint place with a wonderful staff on all levels, no big nightlife, a basic but good restaurant on the beach (awesome rum punches), and a chance to experience island living in a very comfortable but non-commercial way. We took one of the Kayaks across the bay (10 mins) to Green Cay and not only found 100's of Conch/other shells but did some great snorkling right off the beach. The water/bay right off the beach of Chenay is very shallow and it is full of seagrass but we had water shoes and loved playing in it, we saw all kinds of starfish and other fishes right there. We explored the rocks off the beach every night with a flashlight and found awesome sealife. Rent a car. It's worth it and this place is a short drive to great restaurants, a market, and Christenstaid.
If you are looking for "commercial" resort life with lots of scheduled events and several waiters at your beck and call (which is ok at times) this is probably not your place. If you want a sunny, friendly, beautiful and quiet beach resort where you can reconnect (my son and I talked more in a week then we sometimes do in a month because of school and etc...) This is your place. We love it and will be back many times. We are already looking for airfare!!!
Thumbs up in a big way!!!

Comments