Divi Carina Bay Resort and Casino

Costs 160% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Divi Carina Bay Resort and Casino

Nice Resort

by Corinneao about Divi Carina Resort

The place is beautiful. Has a pool and bar/restaurant right on the beach. The villas were extremely large. 6 Girls stayed in on Villa and we all got ready on time- imagine? The service was not so great, may have been b/c it was off-season- no excuse as far as I'm concerned. There is a casino on the premesis but it wasn't the best. Also, by the villas there is a private pool/hot tub that is lit up at night. Grab a few drinks and go swim under the stars.

Divine Divi

by mpierre16 about Divi Carina Bay Beach Resort

I feel sort of guilty giving a great review of this place, having not spent much time on the property - WE WERE TOOOO BUSY this trip! We loved it though, the views were breath taking, room and staff were very accommodating except for a couple of black outs which delayed our check-in slightly and casino play for a few minutes. Casino very convenient location - golf cart ride across the street. The room was overlooking the pool area and beach, clean and sufficient. Only thing I would have preferred, the restaurant and gift shop didn't open early enough - we were up and out by 8:00 o'clock each morning. And nothing near by, to even walk to. We were fortunate to have our local friend pick us up and drive us each day. Our friend also booked the room for us as well which saved us a lot of $$$ - local rate is about $100 USD less. The hotel was not full, so there was a lot of peace and quiet. I loved it! Great views, peace and tranquility - EASTER weekend, not very many people around, check-in Friday am and check out Sun am.

Tito and Sue's Crab Races

by gdubyas

For a small fee, you can pick and name a crab (or more than one) and there are good prizes if your crab wins.

They did the races at the Divi Carina (outside by the bar). But they also have them elsewhere on the island as well.

Good but not Great

My 3 girlfriends and I just returned from St. Croix and Divi Carina. Generally, I thought the place was nice. The room and the grounds were pretty. It really is in the middle of nowhere so you will definitely need a car. If you are into gambling, this is the place to stay since it has the only casino on the island. The service was only average and we had one incident where the service was down right poor. Unfortunately, I found that to be the general experience of St. Croix. Though the people were friendly, they definitely were on caribbean time. Never the less I might return to St. Croix and Divi

Less than divi-ne

We just returned from a week at the Divi Carina Bay. Although the setting is quite lovely, there were quite a few problems with the resort. First, as other writers have commented, the service ranges from perfunctory to dreadful, with most employees indifferent (at best). On our first morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast and waited 45 minutes until a waiter noticed us. He asked if we wanted coffee (we did); it then took another 10 minutes for him to arrive with the coffee pot--but no coffee cup. Eventually, a waitress took our orders for eggs over easy with bacon and toast. What eventually arrived almost defies description: it appeared to be scrambled egg whites which were pale lime green in color. These plates were returned to the kitchen. After another 10 minute wait we received greasy fried egg whites with cold bacon, cold homefries and cold toast. Although the manager didn't charge us for breakfast and gave us a credit for dinner, we never returned for breakfast.

Although the rooms have mini-fridges and microwaves, making ones own breakfast is not a realistic option for several reasons. First of all, despite the presence of this "kitchenette," they obviously don't intend for guests to prepare a meal because no dishes or silverware are provided. Second, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping even a box of cereal there because of the presence of roaches in the room.

The Divi was not all bad. Dinners at the Starlight and Big Al's (the two restaurants on site) were adequate, but again, the service was slow and inconsistent. The pool and beach areas are lovely, but sometimes it was difficult to get clean beach towels. And if you want a chaise lounge, get out there early or you'll miss out.

great location

The location of this hotel is great. One thing to be aware of is that they have roaches. I was awaken by one as it crawled up my arm in the bed. We had a power failure and the water went out for about 6 hours. Please use caution if you stay at this hotel.

Had a Blast!!

I just got back and had an absolute blast. I never saw roaches or bugs or anything in my room. It was always perfectly clean. My room was always cleaned by lunch and the cleaining lady was super nice! Everyone was very helpful with driving directions and such also. I definately reccomend the Crusion Fusion at Big Als Bar. It's a mix of all the flavor cruzan rums and pretty fruity. Drinks were surprisingly not overpriced. you could get a rum and coke for 3.50 which is cheaper than the states. I booked a buck island trip with miles mark there at the hotel and it was beautiful! I definately reccomend the full day trip. I did a half day and it wasn't long enough. I didn't want to leave. It's some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. I've done it at cozumel, grand cayman etc., and it was definately right up there as the best. And turtle beach was just breath taking. I also did horseback riding at Paul and Jills in frederickstead and it was a blast also! You get to eat fruit and go all through the rainforest. I also reccomend renting a car. I found so many cute places that i would have never seen before if i depended on a taxi. And it will probably turn out cheaper as the taxi's are expensive. Talk to Ann or Melissa at the hotel. You can email them from the main website. They emailed me driving directions to the hotel, a cab fare spreadsheat, everything i needed to plan. They are both very sweet and helpful. The island is wonderful and offers so much if you take the time to explore it. I also spent one day totally at the hotel just relaxing on the beach and in the hammocks. You also have the best view of the sunrises at the hotel. I for sure reccomend it! It is definately one of the best vacations I've ever had! I didn't have one problem the whole time I was there. I only wish now i could move there... ha ha! It's wonderful which ever hotel you decide to stay at.... although i definately reccomend the Divi. remeber there is lots to do besides stay at the hotel all day. Take advantage! Email me with any questions.

Loved the Divi

by TripAdvisor Member MEV09

I just got back from a 6 day stay at the Divi in St. Croix. My family had two connecting rooms on the first level, and our patio doors opened to a absolutely beautiful beach. You could walk just a few yards to the water. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful. On Sunday they had free Bloody Mary's and Mimoso's for hotel guest and they told you all about what to do on the island, where to go eat, and gave you directions on how to get there. We rented a van, for our family of four and drove all over the island. The Divi is sort of out all by itself, so I would recomend renting a car for at least a couble of days so you can really enjoy all the island has to offer. For those people who don't have a car, the Divi offers round trip transportation into Christianstead for $16 which is less than half the price of rountrip cabfare. We went out to Buck Island with Captain Heintz on his sailboat and snorkled and had a great time. We were not so lucky with horseback riding at Jills stable over in the rain forest. She seemed stressed and overbooked and our girls were put on horses that were much too spirited for them. And to make matters worse she galloped and trotted the horses even after the girls showed they could not handle their horses. When they complained she acted mad, as if it was their fault. We would definitely return to St. Croix and stay at the Divi again. Our room was large and clean and we had everything we needed including beach towels. microwave, icebox and hairdryer. The front desk was very helpful, and the downstairs bar was nice as was, having the Dive shop on premises. They had a crab race with Tito and Sue on Wednsday and it was a blast. All in all a great place to stay.

Good, clean hotel....

by TripAdvisor Member D05

I stayed at the Divi for eleven days...July 16 to July 26. Overall, it was a good place to stay. My boyfriend and I were placed in a king sized room on the second floor. There is an ice machine on the second floor so that was convenient. The room was nice and had a microwave, coffee maker, and mini refrig. The bathroom could have used some updating. There was some mold on the tiles in the shower and also some ants were spotted on the sink in the evenings. The beach was somewhat disappointing. There was a lot of seagrass and half of the chairs were broken. We only ate at the hotel on the day we arrived. A rental car is a definite must. The Divi is away from everything. We did go to the casino one evning but we are not much of gamblers. The staff was nice and helpful. The grounds of the hotel were clean and well kept. Overall, the Divi was a nice place to stay..nothing fancy but a comfortable place!

Extremelly poor service

PROS: nice rooms and beautiful beach.
CONS: very poor service.
We spent ten days in this hotel.The restaurant was not open daily (June 2004) . Very limited menu selection from the snack bar. No other restaurant available nearby. Need to take a taxi ( $ 45/50) to get a restaurant in the city.
Lazy and discourteous staff. Examples follows:
1)An evening we asked the lady at the front desk for a taxi (the restaurant was closed). She was reading a book and without looking to us (I supposed the reading was quite an interesting one) she just said there no one available.
2)The snack “cheff” refused to make a small change in the preparation of a dish (salad intead of fried potates)we ordered although there were just two tables with people.
Poor security: our cellular phone was stolen at the beach (just a few people around) and nobody took any action. Moreover, when we asked again, in the afternoon, if someone had found the phone, the same lady at the front desk replied in rude manner that she already had said to us in the morning that there were no news.
We met the GM at our request to let him know about our complaints.(He is new in the Job). He told us he was aware of some of the problems we mentioned and that he is working to fix them. Good Luck! He will need it.
In summary, this hotel needs a complete turnover of the staff, but I will not waste my money again there to check if the new manager succeeded in the turnaround.

Divi Carina Bay CasinoDivi Carina Bay Casino

Storm shutters in the Steeple BuildingStorm shutters in the Steeple Building

Post office where the red van is parkedPost office where the red van is parked

Danish Customs HouseDanish Customs House