The Palms at Pelican Cove

4126 La Grande Princesse, (formerly Cormorant Beach Club and Hotel), Christiansted, 00820, Caribbean
CheapCaribbean Expedia.com Tingo.com

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about The Palms at Pelican Cove

DO Something with this property.

Stayed there recently and was surprised at how run down the property is. The beach is a natural beauty, however, they don't clean it nor make it user friendly. The landscaping is overgrown, the sand dirty, the rooms are basically nice, but they could make the place nicer, with very little effort. The towels are thin and rough, the bedding cheap, the whole place needs some TLC. The food is good though, and the staff basically friendly - but the bartenders can be drama queens and like to talk about their problems. The owners peresent this place as an upscale property - and charge high rates. That's fine with me, but they need to make the staff more professional and add some luxuries to attract a repeat crowd - if you're looking for a gay bar with a cheap motel, nice pool, on a beach that no one pays attention to because it's so dirty and the water is too rocky, by all means make a reservation. If you want a comfortable, clean, upscale hotel, go somewhere else. There are polent of places in the Caribbean where gay men and women are welcome - and they are PROFESSIONAL hotels. These guys need to go to Hotel School for a basic course.

This is a Problem Hotel

I stayed here recently and was really surprised by how different the place was in reality - when the website and brochure made it look so inviting.

They sell it as an upscale resort - and chare accordingly, and there are some areas that are very good - and some that need serious attention. The location is fine, the food is good, the people are nice - BUT, the beach is dirty (rake it please), the vegitation overgrown so that some views from rooms are blocked - the beds are not that comfortable, the linens and towels are poor quality and rough, the whole place looks tired and in need of some TLC. It's sort ofd like staying at a friends beach house, one that he hasn't gotten around to renovating yet - this is OK if you don'rt have to pay top $$, but here, the whole experience left me undsatisfied. I travel alot and like all sorts of places - from basic to luxury - the problem here is that the owners call this place deluxe, and in all honesty, it's NOT. It has the potential to be special, but the rooms need attention, the bathrooms need better fixtures, the buildings look run down and the staff could use some training in being more professional.

Go somewhere else!

We just came back after a week in Feb '04 at the Cormorant...This was my second visit in 4 years and the problems I saw back then are even worse now: Bed linens that didn't fit; towels so thin you could see through them or with holes in them and most stained from years of being soiled. Floor tiles in the room were cracked or broken. Old furnishings in need of repair....I turned on the hot water in the bathroom sink only to have the handle fall off, cut my hand and spray me with scalding hot water. It took 2 calls to the front desk to find out that the one and only maintenance man was nowhere to be found so I had to find the main water valve to shut off the leak. Finally someone from the kitchen came over and mopped up the flooded room. When I complained to the management about the two gashes I had on my hand and the scald marks, they stared at me blankly. They tried to move us to another room but we couldn't get the key to work in the door. The bugs in the bathroom were a constant companion too. The tennis courts still have the same cracked and broken surface and when we asked for equipment they said they could find us rackets but no balls. The beach was dirty with dog poop and they didn't rake the beach to remove any seaweed.
Also, the pool was outright filthy. I spoke to a resort owner on the island who told me he heard the Cormorant is up for sale. That would explain the lack of upkeep. It looks like they don't have the money to maintain it. Also, in speaking to the actual owners I got the distinct impression they don't have a good relationship with the business community on the island and that may be causing them problems. Now I will say that overall the employees were nice and the food was excellent but with a very limited menu. I suggest not spending your money on the Cormorant's high room rates. Go to another more affordable, better run hotel on the island and stop by the Cormorant's bar for a drink.

Great place to get away.

My wife and recently spent ten delightful days at the Cormorant. We have spent our last four winter vacations there, and we always look forward to going back. The staff, and the owners are always very nice to us. We love the restaurant and bar, which are overlooking the beach.
The pool is very nice, and never crowded. Every room has a wonderful ocean view, and a patio. The Cormorant's location makes it easy to get to town for shopping, dinner, or a day sail. All in all, the Cormorant is just a perfect place to "get away from it all".

2 Years Ago

My girlfriend and I were at the Cormorant 2 years ago. Though I could not put my finger on it then, I knew something was not quite right. I got it now that things are more obvious based on the posts. The service is still painfully slow (and I love to enjoy a relaxed meal...this was tedious), poor Eileen the breakfast and lunch waitress (is she still there?) it didn't matter if she had 2 parties or 6...the pace was like "where the f is she?" Althoug the location is beautiful, it is not optimized. So much more could be done with that place. The room was ok.
Nothing like the broken facet post. I loved the view and waves rolling in background. One thing I did not like was the dissing I felt we got by the owners. We were there on a not so crowded week and saw the owners on many occassions. Neither man went out of his way to greet us or ask us how things were going. Felt like strangers all week. All in all I agree the place has great potential, but is missing the mark.
It's the little things that count!

New Ownership

My partner and I just returned from a week-long stay at the Cormorant and had stayed here previously in April 2001. I agree with other reviewers that not much had changed since our last stay and that the Cormorant really needs some quality refurbishment to the rooms. During our stay, the ownership literally changed in an afternoon. IMMEDIATELY, the service in the restaurant changed for the better. I agree with other reviewers that the former owners were not very outgoing and needed education in running a resort. The new manager is very friendly, outgoing and a hell of a nice guy. He made sure our needs were being met in the restaurant, in the bar and out by the pool. I don't know exactly what changes, if any, lie ahead, but judging from the recent change, I foresee better days for the Cormorant. The meals in the restaurant are superb, the quiet location great, fairly nice beach and a reasonable distance to Christianstead. This resort has tremendous potential.

Things are getting better at the Cormorant

What a difference a week makes! The Cormorant was just sold two weeks ago. We checked in on March 6, 2004 and already it showed that it is under new ownership.I'm not saying that there isn't work to be done. There is. What I'm saying is that it's clear the new management is up to doing it. In the week we were there, they had already started cleaning up the grounds and were very visible around the lobby area and restaurant.The property is a bit "tired" but the staff isn't. The rooms need some sprucing up but they are clean, large and comfortable. The view from every room is unbeatable! The staff is friendly, always helpful and gets to know the guests quickly. People from large cities will find the staff ?lazy? perhaps. I didn?t think of them as lazy so much as not rushed. When you live in a tropical paradise like the Virgin Islands, there?s less reason to run to your next appointment. We loved the temperment of the staff and learned to relax ourselves!St. Croix is not St. Thomas. Cruise ships no longer stop on St. Croix so the economy is struggling. If you want a relaxing vacation on a gorgeous island with fantastic snorkeling and scuba diving, go to St. Croix and be sure to take a trip out to Buck Island. If you want to be around tons of people and lots of loud night life, go to St. Thomas.

The Best ever Staff and accomodations

My partner and I planned and had our commitment ceremony and honeymoon surrounded by the breath-taking beauty of the Cormorant. From the start, Julie helped us plan every detail to perfection. Once there, EVERY (I mean that) staff member went far beyond the "call of duty" to make our event and stay PERFECT. The location is just moments from the shopping, in Christansted, and also the charters to Buck Island. We couldn't recommend this property more highly. What a dream trip :)

another day in paradise

by TripAdvisor Member sidbinks

We just got back from a week's stay. We had never been to the Caribbean - we loved it so much we bought a house! Julie was great and hooked us up with a tremendous realtor - Honnie Edwards! A woman with more energy and zest for living than I have met in some time. The staff were all very helpful.

Walking out of our very spacious room, onto our private patio and into the ocean where I could snorkel - right there! - was truly incredible.

The food was really great - breakfast, lunch and dinner! What a great chef for dinner. The jazz singer during dinner on Friday nite was a special surprise. The lobby is complete with iguana and exotic birds and the pool is large.

Remember to allow extra time for the airport when leaving the island.
It requires a customs check and it really delays getting to the gate.

Fabulous!

What a great time we had! Julie is fantastic! She handled every detail and was very accomodating. Rushe - the chef - is unbelievable, 5 star dinners every night and served by Alonzo who understands hospitality and is a wonderful asset to the organization. The rest of the staff was always a pleasure to see. many thanks to Eileen, Ivan, Pat, Danye, Kathy, Isabel, Michael, Jared. Be sure to treat yourself to a massage , you're on vacation! The resort itself is in a transition period with new owners and improvements are coming. The place could use a good scrubbing but we hear new bedding, fresh paint and a new pool are in the works. We look forward to returning next year. "The Rowdy Eight"

Comments