3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

127 Smithfield, Frederiksted Beach, Frederiksted, 00841, Caribbean

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• vabchtraveler's Profile Photo

Perfect Day Trip for Cruisers

We stumbled onto a wonderful offer for cruisers from Sandcastle on the Beach. For $25 you get 2 lounge chairs, an umbrella, and 2 drinks - with or without rum. A $6.00 roundtrip cab ride took us from the cruise pier to the hotel. The cab runs every 20-30 minutes while the ship is in port. Perfect!

We reserved online with the very friendly Jayne and she was at the desk with a smile when we arrived. We were escorted via tropical pathways to the beach. We passed a crystal clear pool and an open-air restaurant on our way to our lounge chairs. Everything was clean and neat. Sublime is what it was -simply the perfect way to start a cruise vacation!

The beach is clean and beautiful, wide enough without being too wide. The water was free of debris and not too rough to be enjoyable. There was lots of sea glass to be found in the edge. At one point, I just sat in a pool at the edge and let the waves bring the sea glass to me. I filled a soda cup with very little effort. There was decent snorkeling to the right of the property (facing the water). There were some coral formations very close to shore that the fish liked which made for very easy viewing, even for novices like my friend. It was pretty good walk-out, shallow water snorkeling - mostly sargeant majors - but interesting.

Unique Quality: The facilities were completely what we were looking for a day at the beach. Besides the beauty of the beach location and tropical flora, there were hammocks for lazing and a nice, though small, pool. And then, there was the restaurant. I think it's only open Sat/Sun/Mon, but that worked for us as we ported on Monday. The food was yummy - a pulled pork sandwich for my friend and bbq chicken/bacon/gouda cheese sandwich for me. Both accompanied by some spicy (not too hot - jerk seasoning, maybe) french fries and our free drinks. I think the sandwich plate was around $12. What a great day - just sitting in paradise, enjoying a good meal, soaking up the warmth, gazing at the aqua of the Caribbean -it doesn't get better to me!

Comments