Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina

Rte. 6 Smith Bay, Smith Bay Road, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, 00802, Caribbean
Travelocity Booking.com BookIt.com

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina

I'd like to thank the friendly...

by cobaltlite

I'd like to thank the friendly and helpful staff of Sapphire Beach Resort for their top-notch service. We visited them from 3/11/01-3/17/01. I just couldn't wait to tell you how wonderful it was.

Their Seagrape Restaurant and their Steakhouse were wonderful. The fish was fresh and the steaks were juicy. The Desserts were tasty as well.

The rooms were wonderful and spacious. The cleaning staff was meticulous. The kitchen had everything that I could ever need except food, ofcourse. We went to Red Hook's Marina Market to buy food to cook and drinks.

The view from our room was so beautiful that we sat in our living room at night just looking out. We also made great use of our patio and Sapphire Beach. Sapphire also has events that you can take part in (live entertainment, Shop Talk, and an Orientation).

When it came time for us to go to Coral World, St. John, Charlotte Amalie and Mountaintop, we went to the Front Desk area to get a Cab. There were always cabs waiting to take us out because VI Taxi is based in Sapphire Beach. Normally the fares are posted.

I thoroughly enjoyed my vacation and I look forward to my return. Thanks Sapphire!!!!
200 Close to Red Hook Dock and great view of St. John

by monica71

Sapphire Beach Condominium Resort is one of St. Thomas's premier resorts with complete amenities. The resort's beautiful beach is over a half mile long, with plenty of sun, shade and sand. Sapphire Beach Condominium Resort provides few accomodation options: Beachfront and Yacht Harbor Suites and Villas.
We opted for a Beachfront Villa. The room was big, with a queen size bed, a living room with a pull out sofa bed and full kitcken. A/C, cable TV, fridge and stove, fan ceiling, phone and safe were other things that we really enjoyed having available to us. Big and clean rooms, perfect location, free parking for residents. The resort has a breath taking multi-level cascading freshwater pool overlooking the Caribbean Sea.
The beach is one of the best in St Thomas, with white sand and clear water. There is a water sports center on site, with snorkeling, windsurfing and sunfish sailing. Guests enjoy complimentary tennis on two courts, lit for night play.

OK for our needs

by arissat about Sapphire Village Condominiums

This was good place to stay for our needs. We were most of the time away from the hotel and needed just a place to take shower and sleep.
The only complaints I have: the AC that didn't work that well and the shower, which was a nightmare. Overall it was good. It had a little kitchen, so we could cook for few days to save some $$. Small pool, laundry. Great view of the Sapphire Beach

Crystal Cove Beach Resort

by globetrotter_2006

We stayed @ the Crystal Cove Beach Resort in Sapphire Beach in sep. of 2000. We had a one bedroom apartment that could have easly fit six people. It had a balcony, and a full kitchen which we should have taken advantage of, but instead we spent all our money eating out. The apartments are right next to the Hotel, and both are right on the beach.

All-inclusive

by eight_08 about Wyndham Sugar Bay

Wyndham Sugar Bay is an all-inclusive resort near Charlotte Amalie (pronounced Ah-mahl-yuh). It is a sprawling place--we walked like crazy between rooms and facilities. There were 15 of us staying there for my wedding. We did not choose to use their wedding facilities because, to be quite honest, they are just not that great. The beach is small and not overly picturesque and the gazebo on the rooftop is disappointing. We took the ferry to St. John to get married on Hawksnest Beach instead, and didn't regret it. The resort has two restaurants--the buffet restaurant by the pools and the nice restaurant in the hotel. The buffet restaurant, pools and beach are about 100 steps down from the main hotel so don't fear indulging; you'll work it all off in the climb back. There is an excellent shuttle service for those who cannot manage all the walking. Our room was very nice and the view from the balcony fantastic. The place was clean and well maintained (except for the elevators, which tended to break down frequently) and I've never slept so well in my life. The food at both the Manor House restaurant and the buffet restaurant is excellent and there is always a good selection. The drinks at the pool bar left a lot to be desired--if it wasn't a daiquiri, a slushy margarita or a pina colada they really didn't know what to do with it. The bar in the hotel was good, though. The beach is man-made (blasted out of the rock) and is therefore a little rocky but the snorkeling is free and pretty darned good and the sand is white and pretty. It's worth leaving the resort to check out nearby beaches, though. Apparently there is a trail somewhere on the resort that cuts over to next-door Sapphire Beach but we didn't hear about that until after we left. There is also a spa on the resort that is supposedly very nice but I didn't go there so can't say from personal experience. All-in-all this is a great place to stay, especially if you can get a good airfare/hotel package at the travel agent. The resort is only a 5 min. cab-ride to the ferry to St. John and the British VI so it is a great base location if you plan to take day trips.

wonderrul week

My wife and I had a wonderful time last week at the Sapphire Beach Resort. The Beach front suite was fine and the view and beach were great. We found the staff pleasant and helpful. We stayed near Red Hook, so that we could sail from there to St. John, etc. We especially enjoyed an all day trip to the Baths at Virgin Gorda & the snorkeling at the Caves on Norman Island, BVI.

Not terrible, but OH! My achin back!

by TripAdvisor Member Qzee

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Sapphire Beach Resort. We were VERY concerned after reading the reviews here, and I must say, we were greatly relieved when we arrived that the place wasn't as bad as we'd expected! The views were gorgeous, and the staff were quite friendly, but the love-fest stops there! My main problem was the beds. There was a queen sized bed and a pull-out sofa bed in our suite, and both were lumpy and impossibly uncomfortable. The lack of sleep from trying to find a comfy position made me cranky and tired the whole time I was there! I was so relieved to get home to my tempurpedic mattress! We had also read about the little black bugs in the room, and issues of cleanliness, but I would imagine this is fairly common with any beach-front hotel, so we didn't mind this so much. We also thought the whole place was way overpriced, a taxi ride into town was $16 each way for both of us, and food was outrageous also. We found it more cost effective to buy food at the nearby grocery store and eat in our room for breakfast and lunch. I had an omelet for breakfast at the resort and it cost us $12. I would not go back to the Sapphire Beach Resort, but I heard great things about the Ritz!

Prettiest Beach Ever!

by TripAdvisor Member Ginny01OT

Before our 2/04 trip, we were concerned about Sapphire Beach after reading some of the reviews. We had not been to this resort in about 10 years and didn't know how it might have changed or what to expect.
Well, we once again loved it. Sapphire Beach is by far one of the prettiest beaches I have ever seen and we have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and Hawaii. The snorkeling is great----easy and convenient. Our kids loved it. Granted the rooms are not gorgeous; however, the kitchenette allows for easy access to food and drink while you relax on the beach or your patio. The beach can get crowded because of the numerous cruise ships that visit St. Thomas--and that can be a little disconcerting---it is so peaceful and beautiful before the hordes of cruise ship passengers come in; however, I am a people watcher and that also added some spice. Sapphire Beach is conveniently located to Red Hook and St. John. We took a sail boat cruise to St.
John, which was great, we only had to walk from our room to the marina, which is part of the resort (New Horizon). We were not bothered by persons trying to sell us time share, and we never ate at the resort--with all the wonderful restaurants St. Thomas has to offer, it was never and issue. Car rental is easy and there are always cabs at the resort lobby, although it can get a little pricey. We would most definitely go back to Sapphire Beach Resort--particularly if a little R & R on a beautiful beach is required!

Quit your whining!

I just returned from spending 6 days at the Sapphire Beach Resort, and I was very nervous after having read some of the reviews about this place. All I can say is: Quit your whining. True, the SBR is NOT the Ritz; if you can truly afford the Ritz, by all means stay there, because you will be sorely disappointed, if that is the lifestyle to which you've become accustomed. Having stayed at the Ritz before, I can say that it is fabulous (it's the Ritz for Pete's sake), but it is a bit sterile, lacking real character, and flava (sic). My wife and I found the SBR to be clean, friendly, and worth a return trip. The staff was very nice, and very helpful. Granted, the restaurants aren't going to earn any Michelin stars, but how many restaurants on the island are?
The food was tasty and the waitstaff were very nice. With our 2 yr old in tow, we made use of the kitchenette, a lot. The beach is the star of the show, and the view from our balcony was very cool. The electricity did go out twice during late morning, but a quick walk around the building and a relatively nicely asked question netted me an explanation: They were fixing the electrical system in the building.
Things break, need to be upgraded. When are they supposed to do it? At night? They figured most people would be at the beach. Anyway, I'd go back.

Great beach, but tired and worn hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dudeks

Our group stayed at the condos at Sapphire Beach last week and were not impressed. The Antilles complex was difficult to find somewhere to check in. We tried to ask people, but knowone knew. We eventually went down to the hotel and someone was called to meet us. This extended our taxi expenditures, which was a bad start. In booking via Lodging the site offered free airport transportation, but the hotel disputed this amenity. While the beach itself was great for lounging and snorkeling, the hotel and room are in need of some TLC. From our 3 rooms, some had some leaky sinks, poor working toliet, and worn furniture. Definitely not what we expected. It appears that this is also a timeshare/resort concept, that is struggling to maintain their property.

Sapphire Beach ResortSapphire Beach Resort

Sapphire Beach Resort Parking LotSapphire Beach Resort Parking Lot

Sapphire BeachSapphire Beach

Sapphire BeachSapphire Beach

Renting a boat?

by mrsparks07

We'll be in St. Thomas in July & would like to rent a boat while there. Neither of us are experienced boaters. Do you think we'll be ok going out by ourselves? What company would you recommend? We are staying near Red Hook & Sapphire Beach.

Re: Renting a boat?

by mrsparks07

Wow, I guess there isn't too much traffic on this site. Browsing travel pages, I found www.sailingvacations.com, which only charters yachts for a week at a time. However, they were extremely helpful & gave me the name of a company that rents powerboats by the day & I also found another- Nauti Nymph & Awesome Powerboat Rentals.

st. thomas coki beach

by vabchtraveler

On my last cruise in November, I hailed a taxi at the cruise terminal (shared)to go to Coki Beach. The driver wound up taking us to Sapphire Beach because he said that Coki was too rough. Since the cruise, I've heard that this may be a common ploy to get folks to Sapphire Bay. Has anyone else had this happen? Forewarned is forearmed and I won't let them get away with it next time if it's a local scam. Please let me know if this has happened to you.

by grandmaR

It hasn't happened to me, but I have been on a charter and the charter captain would decided on which beach to take us to depending on the way the wind was blowing. So it might be rough at one beach and not at another. Coki is more the locals beach and the crowd may be a little rougher. But it well may be a ploy.

If you really want to go to Coki Beach, say that you want to go to Coral World (the aquarium) which is right next to Coki Beach.

by traveltime10

Coki has a reputation for being calm water, clear and good for snorkeling and scuba. So, unless he was refering to a rough crowd, it would be unusual for Coki to be termed "rough". Crowded,yes- since it is near Coral World. Sapphire is also a good spot for sparkling water, windsurfing and snorkeling- and you can see BVI.

Magen's Bay and Limetree Beach are also gorgeous- I've had no problems at either. (except maybe people getting so excited about seeing iguanas at Limetree that they squeal and act silly)

The beach is wide at Bologo Bay and Bluebeard's Beach isn't usually crowded.

Perhaps it would be handy to always negotiate the price and specific place before you get in the taxi- and get a business card with the driver's name. At least you can complaine specifically about the driver if anything goes wonky.

by grandmaR

The last time I got a cab to Coki Beach, the driver had a laminated rate card - there are set rates for going to various places. And it does depend on how many there are in the cab too.

Comments