3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Alfine5's Profile Photo

Best Mid-Range Hotel on St. Thomas

I have stayed at the Emerald Beach Resort several times over the past three years and each time I am blown away by the level of service, the amenities, and the property.

The Emerald Beach Resort sit on Lindbergh Bay which is a five minute drive from the airport. Due to its location, we have always stayed at the hotel on our first night in St. Thomas. It is also only a ten minute drive to Charlotte Amalie, where most of the shopping and restaurants are located.

The hotel has a great pool, a restaurant, and a beach-side bar. The rooms are fairly large and incredibly clean. The property went through a remodeling a few years ago and it really shows. The rooms have balconies overlooking the beach. Each room comes with a safe to lock up your valuables and a television. Last I heard, they also have wireless internet available.

When we last stayed there in August of 2009, we paid $150 for a night which is an amazing price for this hotel.

Unique Quality: The amazing views from the balconies and the pool make this one of the better hotels in the area.

More about Best Western Emerald Beach Saint Thomas

Close to the airport but not a problem

by Electrcrio about Best Western Emerald Beach

What can I say about Emerald Beach?? This Best Western truly impressed me. Not that large (about 100 rooms) you really get to have some relaxation time here. The beach is virtually deserted since everyone usually goes around the island for the day. There is a pool bar that is almost sitting on the beach and they make pretty good drinks. The rooms are nice. Well kept and very clean. We had a problem with the air in our first room and the quickly moved us to another room. Please don't expect the Ritz Carlton when visiting here...It's a BestWestern and most visitors don't keep that in mind. With that said...Every room has a view of the Beach and the rooms on the first floor are literally on the sand! The hotel is right behind the airport, however, you can not hear the planes, especially in the rooms. At home I live under the landing pattern for one of New York's largest airports and the noise is terrible. This airport was nothing in comparison. It's even fun to sit on the beach and watch the planes landing. The ocean water is beautiful. Since it is a bay there is little to no current or waves, which is perfect for snorkling. St. Thomas all in all is a beautiful island that has alot to offer. Including great shopping and perfect beaches. I would recommend renting a car (they drive on the left which is not too hard to get used to) and explore the island...it has much to offer everyone. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great value and a wonderful time.

Awesome Beach Hotel

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort hotel on December 20th for 6 nights. Yes, we spent Christmas in the islands. It was amazing, the entire trip was great. With maybe only a few exceptions, everyone on the island was very nice and helpful.

We went diving three days and had some great dives. Blue Island Divers, located at the hotel, was very professional and was the best dive master that we have ever dived with.

The hotel was really nice. The rooms were fairly large with nice appointments. The view from the private terrace, ummm..very nice. The rooms sit right on the beach and have a very secluded feeling. All of the staff was great, most were very helpful. The restaurant was one of the best we tried, the Sunday Brunch was really nice.

We will be staying at Emerald Beach Resort next year as we already made our reservations. This is one of the best priced hotels on the island of St. Thomas. Disregard everything you hear about the airport, maybe two or three flights a day are noticable. No planes leave after 9pm.

The shopping was great in St. Thomas too. There are so many jewelry stores that we could not count them all. The hotel suggested Cardow, the largest jeweler on the island. We were very impressed by the low prices on exceptional jewelry. My husband bought me a wonderful 3 carat diamond braclet that I will cherish forever, and I am so glad that I bought somewhere I will always remember.

Can't wait to go back!

Myself and two friends stayed at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort in St. Thomas for 7 nights in late September, 2003. We had such an awesome vacation that we did not want to return home! Since we used Trip Advisor.com to help us pick a hotel, I knew I would write a review when I returned. So, I paid attention to details! The hotel itself was very clean. There were two places on the wall that they needed to paint over, but it was not dirty or unbearable. The air conditioning unit in our room worked very well. The water pressure was fine in our room, but I did know of others having trouble getting the temperature right in their shower. The hotel is right across the street from the airport s runway, but the noise is truly not a problem. Friday was the busiest day for hearing airplanes, but even then it was not bad. While lying on the beach one day, I counted how long I heard each plane. The longest I heard noise was for 12 seconds. I think they must have a rapid ascent and descent policy because I hear noisy planes longer when I am back here at home. The hotel staff was hit or miss as far as being friendly. Some moments they were extremely pleasant, other times I felt like a bother to them. The pool man, Donald, was the one person who was always happy to help. He peels fruit and feeds it to the iguanas that live near the hotel. There were two that were pretty big, but they weren t dangerous. I was somewhat afraid of them before I went there since I read that they were all over the island. They do not bother people though. In fact, they would run if you came too close to them. We ate dinner at The Palms restaurant the first night that we arrived. We were not impressed, especially for the price. Now, I ended up eating lunch there one day and I thought both the salad and sandwich was very tasty. The hotel bar serves an awesome rum punch, but it is more potent than you realize! The hotel lobby had a computer that guests could use to access the internet for $5.00 per half hour. I foudn that to be very convenient. The hotel s beach was awesome. It seemed very private. Of course, we were there at the beginning of the off-season, but I would think given its remote location that it is still only occupied by hotel guests. We spent every evening on the beach, lying in the lounge chairs and looking at the stars. It was so peaceful and relaxing. Most evenings we were the only people out there too. The water was clear and we snorkeled there quite a bit. However, the best snorkeling and the most beautiful beach I ve ever seen were over on St. John at a place called Trunk Bay. Well worth the $35 ferry ride to take our Jeep and 3 passengers over. I would suggest renting a car for your stay. We rented our Jeep from Dependable Car Rental. The staff was courteous and helpful every time I dealt with them. I would suggest asking for a new vehicle though. Our Jeep was not new, but it didn t give us any major problems. We were told that if you want a really nice vehicle that you have to request that specifically. I don t think they intentionally give you an old vehicle, but it s a matter of first come, first serve on the reservations. Taxis were definitely plentiful, but it looked like they didn t make their trip until they were full. Honking of car horns is overused on the island! While here at home we wave to someone to say thanks or that they may go ahead of us, there they honk. It took us a few times to realize that we hadn t offended anyone! We ate at several different restaurants while on the island. The best view that we had for dinner was at Mafoli s, but the best food that we had was at an Italian restaurant named Virgilio s. Jewelry shops were definitely plentiful on the island. Not being a jewelry person myself, I can t tell you if the deals were that great though. Some of the shops do not open on days when the cruise ships aren t in port. We found that to only be on Friday when we were there. The hotel lobby had a booklet that had a schedule for cruise ships in the back. Overall, we had a great experience in St. Thomas and at the Best Western Emerald Beach. I d definitely go back. I think it was well worth it for the price.

Excellent Choice for Budget Travel in St. Thomas

by TripAdvisor Member Blondesteven

My partner and I stayed at the adjacent Island Beachcomber Hotel and found it to be a terrible hotel. The good news is that we thoroughly enjoyed all of the perks at the Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel! The hotel is well located a few blocks from the airport (all planes stop at about 7pm), on a great beach with excellent swimming and relaxing, has a fabulous restaurant with excellent food and reasonable prices (service is a tad slow, but friendly), internet access, continental breakfast, comfy beach chairs & umbrellas, etc. If you're after a reasonably priced room this is it! Be warned that evenings in St.
Thomas are very QUIET, with little or no activity except the bar. From this hotel you can easily walk to Charlotte Amalie, about 1 mile.

Nice Beach... but that's about it!

Arrived at the Emerald Beach Resort on 1/29/04 for an eight-day stay.
Our rate was approximately $200/nite. Here's the good, the bad and the ugly:

Beach: Beautiful and calm. IMO it rivals Megan's Bay. No chair service or drink service on the beach. Many locals seem to come to this beach, as does the Kon Tiki party boat (a cruise-ship excursion) -- actually, the Kon Tiki docks at the hotel next door, which is very close to the Emerald Beach.

Pool Area: Extremely small and run-down. Pool and Pool Bar are not at all what one would expect from a "resort".

Staff: Friendly and accommodating; although they don't really have bellmen to help with luggage... this is a problem, since the hotel is really sort of a motel (outside entrances), and in order to get to your room, you need to cart your luggage down various walkways/sets of steps.

Restaurant: One (that's it!). Complimentary continental breakfast is a joke; consists of stale bread/english muffins, two types of cereal and 1% milk for your coffee (half & half is a must!!). Ate one lunch in the restaurant, and the food was expensive and extremely mediocre...
service was polite but chaotic (Note: lots of business people from St.
Thomas lunch here).

Planes from Nearby Airport: IMO not a big deal.

Rooms: Spacious and clean, but dated. Nice balcony overlooking the water. Nice dry-sink area with a fridge. Water pressure in the shower was non-existent, as was hot water!!!!

Bottom line... the Emerald Beach Resort would be a fine place to stay if the hotel were billed as a "budget property" and charged budget prices. However, since Emerald Beach bills itself as a resort and charges resort prices, it leaves a lot to be desired. The property is basically a motel, and a run-down one at that. Everything is simply mediocre and there are none of the activities, amenities, services or entertainment one would expect from a resort. After day four, we were so discouraged with the Emerald Beach, we checked out and went to the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef -- which was heaven in comparison. Our only regret is that we didn't check out of the Emerald Beach sooner.

A Nice Hotel on a Quiet Beach

My wife and I just got back Monday the 12th of January from five days at the Emerald Beach Resort. We read the reviews on Trip Advisor, and decided to give it a try. The hotel is on a very quiet beach near the airport, and is well-kept and clean. The beach is outstanding. Our overall impressions of the property were good, and it would be an excellent place to stay with kids (we didn't take ours on this trip, but wished we had). We initially thought airplane noise would be a factor, but flights in and out of the airport are relatively few, and noise was not a big factor (we weren't there much during the day). We would highly recommend a rental car if you're going to stay here, especially if you'll be running around the island as we did, since taxi fares from here can add up fast. The only complaint we had was the buffet breakfast, which was less than adequate (toast, a few muffins, fruit cocktail and stale cereal was about it). If you're looking for a relaxing place to sit back and soak up the sun, this is the right place for you.

I want to go back!!

This was a last minute trip and I checked this site for hotel reccomendations. We have been to St. Thomas before and stayed with a large group on the other side of the island. We wanted something a little closer to town and more convienent to the airport and this place was it! The hotel offers a free shuttle to town every morning (one way only) and from there you can shop, sightsee, or hop a ferry to another island. We spend a week and the hotel staff was great. Definitely ask for restaurant reccomendations as most places close around 5! And make sure you spend a day at Megans Beach, the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Enjoy the sun, sand, and tropical drinks!

Not bad...not great

My entire family stayed at the Emerald Beach over the holidays for a family event. The staff at the front desk was nice and the room was basically clean with a nice view. The beach was overall very pleasant if you did not mind the jets from the airport taking off in the background. The beach bar and restuarant staff seemed to be nice but could not have been slower. The night we actually decided to eat at the hotel we never got our food. We waited for 45 minutes for drink and after two hours without food we finally got up and left. The beach bartenders would take 1/2 an hour to make you a round of drinks and never moved at a fast pace despite getting busier and busier. The beach itself only has a few chairs and you have to get up very early to secure one before someone else takes them all. The hotel says they have beach towels but do not count on it and just take your own. Overall it was an okay experience but I would not go back. Acutally this was our second time to St. Thomas and for what it cost I would recommend changing your plans and booking a trip to Hawaii instead. Trust me you will have a better time!

Enjoy the Emerald Beach and St Thomas!

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Emerald Beach Hotel in May of 2003. We spent 5 nights and came away quite impressed. The rooms were basic but spotless. We seldom spend much time in a room when there is a nice beach right in front of the hotel. The beach was great, as was the water. I had read reviews that spoke about the planes and the noise, but I don't recall them being a problem. The staff (Rolston and Sam-bartenders)(Jenia and Vicki-Front desk) were great. They were always helpful and friendly. We had heard about a great restaurant called Craig & Sallys. We mentioned this to Jenia on the way to the pool. When we got back to the room, she already had a reservation set up for us. Service with a smile. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again. This was my third trip to St. Thomas and I have had good experience at both Best Westerns.

Accomodations

by susa01

I am traveling to St Thomas on 5-20-07 to 5-22-07 then to St. Croix from the 23rd to the 26th. I was wondering if I need to reserve something in advance and if so I would like some suggestions on places in the 100$ a night range.

Also should I rent reserve a vehicle in St thomas or are they readily available?

Thanks

Re: Accomodations

by Alfine5

If you are looking for true budget accomodations on St. Thomas, you may want to look into the camping sites available on Magens Bay.

If you want to spend a bit more, the Best Western Carib Beach Resort may be a good option. It is a short walk from the beach. One of the big drawbacks is that it is right next to the airport. Just a further down the road is the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort which is usually around $150 a night and it is well worth the extra amount. I have stayed there twice over the last three years and have loved my experience there each time.

Also, you shouldn't find it too hard to get a car rental when you arrive since you are going there during their low season. Either way, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. I would recommend Dependable Car Rental.

I'm sorry I can't speak for St. Croix though since I haven't visited there.

Comments