100 Frenchman's Bay, , St. Thomas, 00802, Caribbean

Agoda.com Hotels.com

• Been There, Loved It

We have been to Bluebeard's twice now (November 2007, Christmas 2008) and are returning tomorrow to spend Easter 2011 there. We liked the peace and simplicity of the resort so much that we purchased a timeshare in it. First we bought a studio, then upgraded to a one-bedroom. We love the pool particularly the swim up bar with it's great hamburgers and our daughter likes the "Bubblegum Smoothies". I can't wait to see how it has been upgraded and spruced up. The beach is awesome!! I spend hours in the 80+ degree water and snorkel to my heart's content. We love bbqing our meals in the provided facilities. We have gone both without renting a car and with renting a car. The van shuttle service my Mr. Nice Guy is dependible and safe. Plus the hotel shuttle takes you into town to get food only a couple of times in the week, and you only have about an hour, but it works. Once we get groceries, we're set and find it convenient to make our meals.

We LOVE going over to Coki Beach where the colorful fish come right to the water surface to eat french fries from your fingers!!!! Very cool. The Ocean Aquarium is nice for families and kids. We also take our rented car over to St. John on the ferry from Red Hook. Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay are some of the most specacular beaches. We plan on seeing the other side of St. John this time.

Yep, this is a no-frills resort. I do wish there was no smoking at the pool bar. It's gross to have to smell that while out in the fresh air. We will miss the restaurant, but hope the swim-up bar still serves food. The resort is clean, quiet, and safe. Our daughter always makes friends and has kids to play volleyball in the pool, chess on the oversided chessboard, and swim with. I hope they have some sort of Easter things going on, but if not we'll make our own fun.
    Enjoy this little gem.

Unique Quality: Best features:
    Clean, crescent-shaped beach.
    Warm ocean waters.
    Clean pool with swim-up bar.
    BBQ facilities.
    Life-sized chess set.
    Clean rooms, adequite kitchens
    Incredible ocean views.
    Quiet grounds.
    Iguanas running about. Cool to photograph.
    Hammocks by the beach.
    Massage facilities by the beach.
    Away from the crowds.
    Rentals for snorkels etc. by the beach.
    Chaise lounges on the beach.
    Tennis courts.
    Nice landscaping.
    Picturesque site.

• Clean, Private and Affordable

This was the best vacation I have ever embarked upon and my stay at Bluebeard's was a large part of it. We happened to be staying in one of the buildings where the rooms had not yet been renovated but the friends that we went with got one of the newer rooms. It didn't matter either way because we were never in our room but just to be accurate,our room was fairly dated. The air conditioner was leaky and blew hot air onto the balcony. The colors on the walls, couch and curtains were pretty 80's. The bed was creaky and old looking and the windows needed to be replaced. We had a view of the ocean from our room.

Our friends room had been updated and did not have any of the issues that we had with ours. There was construction on the room below us that would have bothered me if I wasn't in paradise but it has to be done at some point during someone's vacation if they are going to fix everyone's woes about the outdated rooms. So all of the building renovations will be done within the year.

With that being said, let me talk about the great. Unlike the other Wyndham which is located in town, this Wyndham is off the beaten path a little. Unlike the other Wyndham which allows beach access to everyone, this one does not. So, when the cruise ships come in and the beach real estate is scarce, you have it all to yourself. At night, when you want to sneak away for some late night beach intimacy or a skinny dip in the pool, you will likely be alone instead of having that creepy guy in the corner looking at you.

For the kids, the "Cat Cafe" ensures that the cats roaming the premises are fed. It also keeps the iguanas a little more safe. The crabs in the crab village pop out on occasion but are generally scared of humans. You can't spear them and throw 'em on the grill because they are endangered and you wouldn't want to anyway because they're really interesting to have around.

The beach has perfect and the water offers great snorkeling because of the reduced traffic with it being a private beach. Sea Turtles, Rays and a variety of fish are available for viewing. My girlfriend and I made a few late night trips out there to be alone and stare at the stars. It was all very serene.

The hotel is also located between to two main cities on the island so it is easy to get to either but I highly. highly, HIGHLY suggest renting a car. It will save you money in the long run and make getting around much easier. Just remember to stay left and think a little before making your turns. And just because it's legal to drink and drive, doesn't mean you should get tanked and be an idiot on the road. They are very windy and one accident can create major delays.

In conclusion: The renovated rooms are great. And even though the older ones are a little dated, it shouldn't matter because paradise is outside the door and Bluebeard's has one of the best beaches on the island.

Unique Quality: PRIVATE Beach
    Swim-up bar
    Cathouse (Real Cats)
    Endangered Species Crab village
    Pool Volleyball
    "Life Size" Chess set
    Cheap Kayak Rental
    Affordable Buffet by the beach

Directions: In between Charlotte Amalie and Redhook.

More about Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas

Bluebeards Beach Club

by ms_obvious about Bluebeards Beach Club

We like Bluebeards beach club because they are condo units that have kitchenettes. Beach is ok but some rocks. It is a very reasonable place to stay when you compare. Great pool, view of cruise ships leaving harbor at night, nice bar and restuarant staff, be sure to rent a car...shuttle runs infrequent.

we have stayed at Bluebeard...

by bhodgson

we have stayed at Bluebeard Beach Club Villas-great!
we got a deal for the week of $400 swim up bar
studio and one bedroom with small kitchen

Okay for our stay

by TripAdvisor Member JJnCJ

My wife and I just returned on Sept 11 2004 from a week at Bluebeards Beach Club. At times after reading the comments I have to say we were a little worried, but much to my surprise, we had a very good time. This resort does not have the bells and whistles of other resorts, but for us, too much activity would have kept us from seeing the island. The room was one with a loft where our bed was, which was cool until you had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. (Note-Keep the bathroom light on all night and crack the door for guidance.) The view was great. The rooms all look out to the beach. Ours was right in the middle building so we had a small porch with a view directly overlooking the pool and beyond that the Caribbean Sea. Actually I think they all have porches. I’d read where a lot of improvements have taken place. Those are ongoing but did not affect our stay. It seems they are headed in the right direction. As I’ve come to learn after visiting the islands over the years, don’t expect major projects to happen quickly. There is still work to be done (like the tennis court) and improvements to be made, but all in all I’d give it a 7 (for effort) out of 10. The grounds were clean and maintenance was done daily. The pool is not large, but when we were there, it was mostly adults who were content with lounging in a chair or sitting at a chair at the pool bar. We did meet some great folks at the bar. Ask Jeff the bartender about the island. He’s been there a few years and will give brutally honest opinions, but good info. The staff must have been reading some of these comments because we did not find the nonchalant attitudes that I’ve read about. HOWEVER, there was an issue with our safe, which was not resolved until Tuesday, the 4th day of our stay. Because of a problem with the lock, we needed to be there in the room for maintenance but when we told them the safe had no valuables in it, they finally replaced it with a one from another room without us having to wait for someone to show up. For activities, there is not a lot to do at the resort other than breakfast, dinner, and a buffet dinner advertised one night. They also had a lunch beach party, but we really wanted to see the island after getting our rental. The resort location was fine for us. We were within 10 minutes of downtown depending on traffic, about 15 minutes from Red Hook and Sapphire where we took the ferry to St. Johns for a day (Red Hook) or went on a couple sea excursions (Sapphire), and after concentrating on staying on the left side of the road (adjusted sooner than I thought I would) we were going all over to other beaches, restaurants, and points of interests. Overall, this resort is fine if you want quiet and are willing to go elsewhere for fun activities. We would stay here again, but would check first on other resorts if only to see what they have to offer since we have something to compare. But if Bluebeards makes the improvements I’ve read in other letters, it could be a very nice resort in a few years.

Find a place on the beach like...

by bhodgson

Find a place on the beach like this one-This is Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas-take your drink and just soak up the sun and the atomosphere.

First visit to St. Thomas.

We have never been to St. Thomas before, and have just arrived home October 16th. We read some of the reviews written here after we took a Get-a-way from IntervalWorld, and were a little nervous about what to expect from Bluebeard's Beach Club. We were pleasantly surprised. Bluebeard's has been taken over by Fairfield (not Best Western) and has been a neglected property. But since the takeover you can see that each day something is being done. If you expect a 4-star or a high-class place this isn't for you --- yet. The rooms were spacious - we had a loft. It could be a little difficult getting up and down stairs inside if you were older or had walking difficulties. I recommend a first floor. All rooms faced the water and beach and you can watch the cruise ships come and go with the beach being private in its own little cove. The problem with the beach being so rocky will be addressed - as will other problems over-time. The food on premises was good albeit a little over-priced. The pool is very small but adequate because people don't tend to hang out all day. There were plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and the hammocks added a nice touch of comfort. The "lounge lizards" were cute and Jeff at the pool bar was fun and friendly. All in all we would go back and go back to the Beach Club. We loved St. Thomas - better than Aruba. Restaurants were very good except for The Frigate. Shopping was excellent. And the location of Bluebeard's Beach Club couldn't be better. The water was right there and Charlotte Amalie only a few minutes away. Go to Duffy's Love Shack and of course the Banana Tree at Bluebeard's Castle. It was a great place. Can't wait to go back!!

Great beach & villa if self-service is your style

by TripAdvisor Member jwendler

The beach and it's amenities, such as hammocks, lounge chairs and thatched-roof huts are very good. Lots of peace and quiet. Small waves, good snorkeling, great quantities of shells washing up. Being on the beach and having a balcony overlooking it made this a great spot.

The villa (we had a studio) was of good quality. I would rate it on par with the nicer Best Westerns I've stayed in. It was quite clean, with a very comfortable king bed, large refrigerator, cable tv, decent shower/bath, a/c unit in the dining area which cooled the whole place if running 24/7.

The property is huge, spread over a wide area adjacent to the beach. Large parts of the facility, such as the former restaurant & tennis courts are unattended and not maintained. Only expect the front desk and the bar to be attended. If you don't mind self-service (in fact, if you prefer to be generally "left alone," this is a good spot to land. You will feel like it's a private beach you share with a few other guests.

We stayed 09/25-10/02 and had a fabulous time in the Islands. We HIGHLY recommend renting a car, even just to and fro the place you stay. If inclement weather is expected, rent a 4WD for peace of mind. Making uphill left hand turns on wet road is very difficult.

We highly recommend dining at Room With a View up at Bluebeards' Castle, excellent food /service/unparalleled view. Buy your groceries (including lots of bottled water) at Pueblo and your dry goods at Kmart. Kmart's postcards, mugs and t-shirts were quite decent and among lowest prices we saw.

Enjoy the slower pace of the Islands, and know that Bluebeard's Beach Club is better than most in terms of location and cleanliness. It's just not a resort or hotel.

Relaxing Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member juliedodge81

My sister and I stayed at this property over the Columbus Day weekend.. the room was clean and spacious for 2 people.. had a pretty large refrigerator, range and microwave. The view was great.. geckos and iguana's everywhere..hammoks and lounge chairs for lounging.. when they said they were opening the pool the next day I really didn''t think they would .. from the other post.. but the pool was opened on Sat as promised.. Service was friendly the appetizers we tried were not that great..Marinara was kind of like ketchup.. but we were they for the beach not the food.. We rented a car as encouraged by other postings.. used it to get there and back from the airport.. Taxi's are extremely expensive on St Thomas. We were glad to have the car for the trip back was great to have a place to put luggage and packaged while shopping in Charlotte Amalie. I wish I were a braver driver we would have checked out more of the island. Red Hook is just a $6 taxi ride away and the passenger ferry to Cruz Bay is only $3 per person.. beautiful views and cheapest transport.. taxi's are less expensive on St John and seem to be better regulated.. Lots of great restaurants and fruit stands, shoppes ect in Cruz Bay.. Truck Bay was beautiful.. The shrimp skewers at Woody seafood were wonderful!!
All and all it was a good trip.. I'd reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for a peaceful weekend in St Thomas..and St John is just a ferry ride away.

Resort with Problems

by TripAdvisor Member Biancat73

We just returned from our one week stay through a time share Interval Exchange, at the Bluebeard's Beach Resort in Saint Thomas.

There are a couple of things that we thought we should share with other potential travellers at this location.

1. Upon our arrival the checked us in very late (2hours late, in fact) even though the check in time on the reception wall and in our reservation documents was 4:00PM. The reception service was as bad as you can get. We had to complain to get a room. I don't think this is a way to start a vacation, with so much frustration only to get what you have been promised in writing. Should I mention, that even when we returned to the reception the second time the room was still not ready and they suggested to come back at 11:00Pm at night?!?

2. This resort offers a wifi internet service in your room if you have a laptop with you. We did have one and tried the internet connection for a week. They have a website that is free where you could sign up and buy a pre-paid card for a wifi connection at the resort within a period of time of your choice: a day, three days, a week or a month.
We paid $30 for our connection for a week. The problem was that the connection worked good/ fast only the first time, before they got our money. After that it would work on and off and would take sometiems even as long as three hours to send an email (the connection would be lost and then you try to sign in back again, and repete).
It is very hard to understand why the quality of the service deteriorated ( very low signal) so much right after we made the purchase and not before. In our last day, we made a notice to the technical support online, who as soon as we complained had us back on fast speed.
They did not found any technical problems with our connection. We are inclined to believe that they have a lot more customers on their wifi network than they can actually support.
So if you want to get an computer connected online, try to get it somewhere else.

3. The weather was nice, and the nature at this resort is very specatcular. However, the level of maintenance except the rooms is very low compared with the sister resorts: Elysian Resort and the Bluebeard's Castle Resort owned by the same Fairfield Resort.

4. Upon our check in they require a deposit we gave it in cash for $250.
The receptionist put it in a sealed envelope and made us understand it will be untouched until our departure.
On the day of our departure when we checked out we expected of course the famous deposit back minus some energy charges of $3/per person per day a total of $42. They told us they don't have our money, because they deposited in a checking account with their bank. We needed our money right away because we had a flight to catch. Even though she (the receptionist) had the money she said she cannot give it to us because she does not want to give us " her change". We tried to explain we are losing our flight and she said she does not care.
After much aggravation, some 40 minutes later we recovered our money, but again with so much struggle. Needless to say we were so late for our flight, that in fact the airline no longer had any time to check our luggage.
The advice that we want to give is to probably give your credit card for the deposit rather than cash in order to save so much time and aggravation.

5. Final piece of advice is if you go at this resort try to stay out of the timeshare scam they will try on you. Fairfield has recently bought this resort and has very ambitious plans to construct new developments on the land of this resort. However they enconter one big problem at this time: lack of funds. The way they want to raise the money is of course by selling timeshare points at this resort. The price for one week worth of points at Bluebeard's Beach Resort is $12,400. We went online and we found that the selling price for a deeded unit at this resort sells for only $3,500 plus maintenance fees. I am sure you can draw your own conclusions.

I hope your stay will be enjoyable and try to fall into the pitfalls we mentioned above. If you have a choice of going to other resorts, don't hesitate to do so, at least for now until Fairfield will start making more changes at this Resort.
Please do contact me if you have any questions about the island or the resort and I will be happy to give you an honest answer.

St John Better...

I went to St Thomas recently (this summer - July/August) and stayed at this mediocre "beach club" and learned the following thing the HARD way. I hope to relieve someone's stress by telling you some things I wish I knew before we left for vacation.

1) St Thomas and the rest of the USVI are beautiful islands. The turquoise waters were beautiful - in St Jonh. The "private beach" in front of the hotel (or whatever you want to call it) was NOT turquoise. It fact, it was more of a gray-blue water with waves crashing down on your head every 7-9 seconds.

2) The place is infested. Not only with geckos, but with cocroaches the size of a baby mouse. I DID learn this the hard way. I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom and my friend was cooking in the small kitchenette just outside the door. I was rinsing and I heard her scream. I open the door and, none-the-less, i see a ginormous cocroach crawling on the floor. I run out of the bathroom and as far away from it as possible (the cocroach crawled into it). My friend slammed the door shut leaned againt it. Because of the huge gap between the floor and the bottom of the door, i threw a towel to cover it. Not until after did we realize that we forgot the sunscreen inside and were too scared to open the door and get it. (about the geckos, they aren't bad but are everywhere).

3) "Fortunatley, I do not play tennis since the courts looked like they have never been maintained (a real swamp)" was the exact quote of another critique. I feel absolutely the same way. Unfortunatley, I do play volleyball and was upset to find that there were no nets on the beach, only in the pool. I did not step foot into the pool after I had recieved a piece of...surprising...information. I walked into the pool and realized little, black dots on the bottom of the pool. Being here the first time, I did not know what they were. I swam up to the pool-side bar and, as I ordered, I asked the man at the counter what the black things in the pool were. He looked at me and started laughing. He replied, "The iguanas take a swim in the pool when everyone leaves..." I took the hint and got out of the pool ASAP. The management needs to curb their, erm, iguanas.

4) Taxis. Can I say enough? Some good services out their but they must be on something. I realized I didn't want to take the risk of driving on the left side of the road so I passed on renting a car. I called a taxi service (you have to call the service beforehand with the time you'd like them to pick you up...-sigh-) and asked them if they could pick me up at about 9:00am. I waited at the "taxi-stop" for the taxi and got in when it pulled up (my friend passed). I asked the driver to bring me to the main town to go food shopping. I was looking outside the window and didn't realize that I didn't have my seatbelt on (which i RECOMMEND you DO!!). The driver came to a turn and i SWEAR that the side wheels lifted off of the ground!!! I clung onto the seat for dear life the rest of the ride. Plus, I suggest you go in a small company in taxis...the prices pile up heavily at the end!!

I hope this has been helpful and have a nice stay :)

Fairfield resort -Bluebeard's Bech club info?

by Tlturner

Anyone know anything about Bluebeard's Beach club owned by Fairfield resorts? Address is 100 Frenchman's Bay,St. Thomas. Going there next month and trying to decide if we need a car or how far away things are and is it nice or what. Thanks- Tlturner

Comments