Mafolie Hotel

7091 Estate Mafolie, Mafolie Hill, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, 00802, Caribbean
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Mafolie Hotel

Mafolie Hotel is delightful!

We stayed at the Mafolie for several days and held my daughter's wedding reception there. We cannot say enough about the wonderful friendly service, great restaurant, and beautiful comfortable room, not to mention the spectacular view. It is a small family owned hotel and does not look like a major chain place, which is a very positive factor in our opinion. The view is incredible. They did a superb job with the reception in their restaurant, including accommodating special food needs with gourmet style. We were only sorry we couldn't stay more than three days, and are already looking forward to taking another trip to St. Thomas and staying there again.

ROAD SIGNS TO GUIDE ISLAND VISITORS

by catalysta

Tommy the Starfish Routes: On St. Thomas - the Virgin Islands Hotel & Tourism Association has posted Tommy the Star Fish signs to help guide you around the island. Just follow the signs to get to the most popular areas for visitors to St. Thomas:
Orange Route: Airport, Downtown Charlotte Amalie, Havensight Cruise Terminal, Morningstar Beach, Bolongo Beach and RED HOOK FERRIES.
Red Route: Four Corners to Smith Bay, including DRAKE’S SEAT.
Yellow Route: CROWN BAY Dock and Marina to MAFOLIE Hotel & Restaurant.
Green Route: Downtown Charlotte Amalie to MAGEN’S BAY BEACH.
Blue Route: Red Rook Ferries to Downtown Charlotte Amalie past North Shore Resorts and major Shopping Malls, including TILLETT GARDENS.

Extremely Unhelpful and Uncooperative Proprietor!

by TripAdvisor Member utqiagvik

The proprietor of the Mafolie Hotel succeeded in putting us off before we even set foot onto his property. I called sometime ago to make reservations for August, and (having looked at the hotel Web site and not found much detail there) asked the proprietor to give me some idea of what the various room categories were like and how they differed from each other (we are planning a romantic trip and thus want the best experience, price not being so important as ambience) and he immediately said "go look at our Web site." I said I had looked and wanted more details, and he just repeated "go look at our Web site for details about the rooms." I then tried a different tactic and said hey, at this point I don't have access to the Internet, so please help me out here and give me some description about your rooms so I can make a choice and get the reservation completed over the phone during this call itself. He then VERY RELUCTANTLY provided some very brief, cryptic details, ending with "go look at our Web site when you get near a computer." I said thank you and put the phone down, vowing never to give this horrible man my business. If a hotel proprietor is so unhelpful and dismissive over the telephone, I can only imagine how he must be like when one actually checks into his property? BTW, I subsequently called the Hotel 1829 and had a MUCH better experience booking with them.

Not one complaint

This place was great. The food was amazing, the view is incredible and the staff is great. Gina, the poolside bartender could not have been nicer. I would recommend the Mafolie to any one visiting St. Thomas.

great hotel for the price

We stayed here for one night on apr. 22 because we were taking a cruise the next day and I have to say I wish we could have stayed longer. The VIEW is amazing, you just can't get your eyes off the view, especially at night when at the restaurant. The rooms I felt more than adequate and kind of had a bohmian feel to it. Everyone at the place was helpful and you get a free shuttle to mayghan's bay beach, one of the most beautiful beaches, from the hotel everyday. The restaurant is amazing too, cmbined with the view the food could rival 5 star restaurants in the states and I have eaten at a lot of them. be sure to order the lobster bisque soup and mafolie plate, its excellent. Didn't care for the salmon. The prices were very reasonable.

Gem of St. Thomas

by TripAdvisor Member SaraBMaryland

We held our wedding reception here in April. We also had the majority of our wedding guests staying here. I can't say enough about how great this place is. From start to finish, Natasha was an enormous help. All of our guests loved their rooms and thought they were a great value. The pool is great - awesome different colored lights in the pool at night give a great vibe. The food at the poolside bar is excellent.

Our reception was amazing. I have serious food allergies and we met with Chef Rob the day before the wedding. He had a list of foods I could and couldn't eat and he created an amazing meal for me. Everyone loved their food. After the first bite, there was a collective "Oh my God" around the room because the food was excellent. The view is unbeatable. Natasha and the amazing staff at the Mafolie even helped my family decorate for the reception. They really thought of everything. My husband and I loved the food at the restaurant so much we came back for dinner 4 more times during our honeymoon. Everytime Chef Rob created an amazing meal for me (and for someone with food allergies who is normally stuck eating bland food, this was awesome!).

My husband and I have discussed it and we would never stay anywhere else in St. Thomas. The Mafolie is wonderful and the staff is amazing!!

Best bang for the buck

by TripAdvisor Member all121star

Just returned from the Mafolie. Two couples stayed there 1 night before catching the ferry over to BVI.

Not to brag, but I've stayed at numerous hotels around the world and the Mafolie may be the best "bang for the buck" hotel I've ever stayed in. The very large and clean rooms cost us $115 per night and included a continental breakfast. The rooms were large and the views have to be the best on the island. The close proximity to "downtown" (where all of the shopping is) allowed us to catch some shopping the day we arrived even though we got to the hotel around 3:00 and most of the stores close at 5:00. It is a very short $5 taxi ride. We took taxi's on two ocassions and waited less than 2 minutes both times.

The number one thing about this hotel is that it has an A+ restaurant on-site, which means you don't have to leave the hotel after dark. The food was world class and the sunset view and view of the harbor were breath taking. The chef was very friendly as he made his way around the restaurant.

I don't understand any of the bad posts regarding this hotel. I guess it's just hard for some people to remove their blinders and realize that standards are slightly different when you're out of the USA. One person stated that they didn't feel safe going out at night. Hello....you're in a foreign country and out of your element. I don't feel 100% safe walking the streets of NYC after dark, but you widen the blinders, open the mind and be aware of your surroundings.

Great hotel, great restaurant.

Charming Value

If you are looking for an all-in-one resort like a Marriott, this place is not for you. If you are up for some local flavor and charm then this is right up your alley. The service and staff were excellent. We had rolled up to the hotel very late in the evening and Mike, the proprietor, took care of us very well. He even held up the closing of the restaurant (which by the way is excellent… you must try it at least once during your stay) so that we could have a bite to eat before retiring for the night. They went out of their way to make our stay comfortable in every way. We stayed in units 8&9 which were the only ones I think that had a connecting door. This could be handy if you are coming as a family (we had a 2 year old and a 8 month old plus a set of grandparents). Cost is very reasonable so if you are a budget conscious traveler looking to maximize value, it doesn’t get better than Mafolie. As with anything, there are negatives but overall, the positives far outweigh them. Here is the list of the good and the bad.

Positives:
1.View. What a view !! The hotel is perched high above the southern shore and as far as I could see, most, if not all, of the rooms had this postcard-like view of the bay. The pool and the restaurant are sitting on the face of this mountain that took a little getting used to at first because it was so steep. But once you get your bearings, you will never get tired of the view whether it be in the morning as you enjoy your complimentary breakfast with the gentle breeze coming off the water or in the evening in the midst of one of the finer meals you will have on the island while taking in the breathtaking show of lights all around you. Downtown is directly below you as well as the cruise ships that seemingly come in every morning (ships came in 5 of the 7 mornings we were there)
2.Staff and service. As stated above, service was excellent and the staff went the extra yard in everything they did to make our stay enjoyable. Everyone from Mike down to the maid was very friendly. I have to admit that I have favored the comfort, convenience and reliability of the chain resorts in the past but after this experience I will definitely be more willing to try these cozy/charming places that are off the beaten path.
3.Food. The restaurant at the hotel is very well known on the island. And for a good reason. The food was very good. We had pulled in very late and placed our orders as the kitchen was closing but the dishes we had were excellent (I recommend the pasta dishes but that is only because we dined there one night and we didn’t get to sample the menu extensively). We even had the chance to talk with the chef who came to check on us as we were finishing up. After a long day running around the island/beach, there is nothing like sitting down at the bar with a beverage of your choice and watching the evening sky.
4.Breakfast. It is FREE!! And furthermore, for a complimentary breakfast, this was more than adequate and satisfactory. The list includes English muffins, bagels, waffles, choice of cereals, milk, orange juice and coffee. It is not gourmet but it is nothing to sneeze at either. After the first couple of hours in St. Thomas, you will realize that it is very expensive on this island so this was a relief. We stayed at the Marriott for the first couple of days in our trip and the breakfast buffet there was $20 per person. We had 5 people (my 2 year old eats like an adult) so you can do the math yourself. Plus, the atmosphere was so conducive to starting your day off right.
5.Location. I would recommend renting a car at some point during your stay. We were there for 7 days and rented a car for 4 of those, which was just the right amount. Driving around the island was fun (except for the first couple of hours as you constantly remind yourself to stay left) and the island has so much character. The hotel’s location is convenient because it is central to everything. We were no more than 15 minutes from any point on the island.

Negatives:
1.No bathtubs. There were no tubs in our units (8&9). Only standup showers. We had 2 little kids so giving them a bath was very difficult and inconvenient. I do not know if there are tubs in other units but if this is a concern, I would recomment you ask in advance. Furthermore, the stalls were very small. I am 5’9” and 170 lbs and it was difficult to soap myself without my elbows hitting the walls.
2.Water pressure. For some reason the pressure was very low during our stay. Might qualify as a minor quip.
3.Parking. All parking is on the street. This is fine for most of the day except from 6 PM to 10 PM when you have to compete for spots with the restaurant diners.

Couple more potentially useful items. You might want to pay attention to whether a cruise ship is docking on any given day. Understandably, the beaches are more crowded and the restaurants and stores are a zoo when these ships are docked. So if you want to enjoy the beautiful beaches without the fear of rolling over onto someone next to you or if you like to do your activities in smaller groups, take into account the ship schedules. Also, businesses close down completely or early depending on the ships so you may want to check that too.

St Thomas

by sramey1

January 7th, 2001 Cruised to the Eastern Carribean. St. Thomas again, only this time we had friends meet us and give us the "insiders" tour of the island. Try the Mafolie Hotel on St. Thomas for a quaint bed and breakfast atmosphere and a breathtaking view of the harbor below. They are set on the side of the mountain and provide all the service you will need for a wonderful vacation.

U. S. Virgin Islands - white sand, blue waters

by San_Diego_Evita

"Charlotte Amalie - the capital"

Charlotte Amalie's main attraction is the pier where many cruiseships dock every morning and the shopping center located in what used to be warehouses to house slaves. There is a good eatery in town called "Johnny Cake's." Driving is on the left and that's why I relied on cabs and my friend Roni's driving.

"Charming Hotel "Mafolie""

This small hotel is owned by a California couple. I stayed there in 1988 and years later I hesitated to recommend it to a friend because I didn't know whether it was still a nice place. Guess what? In the meantime the hurricane ruined the place and they rebuilt it even better. At least that's what my friend told me.

"Ah, the beaches!"

The most beautiful beach on St. Thomas is Magen's Bay Beach but I can't find the photos I took, so here's the second best beach, with me on it. The tall ship in the background just snuck into the photo. Can you believe the color of that water?!

MafolieMafolie

Accommodation St. Thomas

by pvobbink

In June this year we are planning a trip to St. Thomas. What I would like to know is what is a good place to stay on St. Thomas and what is the rate? I am looking for acco between US$60-120.

Re: Accommodation St. Thomas

by catalysta

It's off-season, so you should be able to find lots of good rates. I like the Island Beachcomber, for a laid-back & friendly place on a pretty beach. Mafolie is great too, if you don't mind staying up away from the water. It has a great view, and one of the best restaurants on the island. If you dive, both of them offer packages with Blue Island Divers (and they are the best to dive with!).

Have fun, I love it down there - going back myself in the end of January.

Comments