4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Excellent Hotel Jewel in Charlotte Amalie

Looked for hotels in St. Thomas where I could bring the whole family, saw the pictures of The Frenchman’s Reef, and I looked no more --- that’s where I’ll bring the wife and twins! (I said to myself, besides I am a fan of Marriott as I find their hotels around the world comfortable...)

So, we stayed in this 479-room jewel along one of the Caribbean’s most majestic harbors. From their café, you can see the docking ships and a great view indeed. The walks around the hotel towards the tennis courts are amazing as you descend several stairs and meet iguanas at the same time (along the way).

We were given a very nice suite, comfortable and clean beds. The beachfront rooms give a spectacular view of the Caribbean.

They also have 3 swimming pools with several lounges and my daughter enjoyed watching the sun go down at this beautiful seaside setting.

Definitely, this would also be a great place to get married at (lots of picture-taking possibilities), and so couple may visit www.weddingsinparadise.vi.

Unique Quality: Iguana's everywhere...has a port for going to St. John Island

• Marriott is the best non-luxury hotel

I think the Marriott is the best hotel in the USVI after the Westin and the Ritz. It is not extremely pricey like those two are, but the accomodations are worlds better than the other hotels on the islands. It has a private beach, which was hardly crowded while I was there (a few weeks before Christmas) and also has tennis courts and a number of nice restaurants. I didn't do the all-inclusive plan, but if I were going to go again, I would, as we wound up spending more money on meals than we did on the room rate. The room was a perfect size, overlooking the beach, and it was only about a 10-minute cab ride to downtown, to Red Hook to catch the ferries or to Havensight (where the cruise ships dock and has lots of little shops and restaurants around).

Directions: Frenchman's Reef

More about Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resorts

4 stars

by PrincessK about Marriott Frenchman's

Overlooking gossamer ribbons of turquoise and azure water, brilliant bougainvillea and impossibly blue skies, you’ll find yourself swept up in a moment that could only happen at the Marriott Frenchmans Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort in romantic St. Thomas. This garden spot of paradise will spoil you with Caribbean hospitality and charm, endless activities and unforgettable experiences.

Crowning the Southern tip of St. Thomas, overlooking beautiful Charlotte Amalie Harbor, the majestic Marriott Frenchmans Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort offers the perfect Caribbean, just steps away from the white sugary sand of the quarter mile beach. Each guest room has been designed to impart a sense of tropical paradise, and offers generous amenities, supreme comfort and, most of all, tranquility.

Awesome View

by csc0911 about Marriott Frenchmans Reef Resort

This St. Thomas resort has an awesome location. Perched up on a cliff overlooking the water. There are 2 major pools, one down by the beach and another up on the cliff right next to the main hotel.

During most days, you can watch as the cruise ships arrive into the port.

The beach has beautiful sand and it's not a far taxi ride into the main city to see all the street vendors setup for all the tourists. Great clifftop location overlooking the water.

Frenchmans Reef Marriott Beach Resort

by Zifu about Frenchmans Reef & Morning Star

Frenchmans Reef & Morning Star has a shuttle service from the airport its a 35 min ride, once you get there its like to step in another part of the island away from all the activity of the port. Is a excellent place to sit and relax and watch the cruises pass by. Great views they have a few kinda bungaloes by the shore with a breath taking view of the sea.

St. Thomas Must Stay

My husband and I stayed at this porperty in May of 2003. We had only been to the Caribbean on Cruises and had never stayed at just one Island. We were presently surpised. When we checked into the hotel the staff was very accommodating, we had arrived earlier than check in but we were able to check in at that time. When we arrived in in the room much to our surprise we had an amazing room with a view of the Harbour.
We had a balcony with a few chairs on it we sat our there many mornings and had breakfast and at night. We were there during Carnival which I would reccommend just because most the shops in town were not open because the parades were going on. Each night we watched fireworks from our hotel room. There was a private beach, that we walked down to each morning and were greated my some locals (eguana's). The food and service at this resort were like no other. I am a very picky person and it was much more than I expected. I would highly reccommend this to anyone.

Wonderful Experience

My husband, our two children, and I just returned from a trip to ST.
Thomas where we stayed at the Frenchman's Reef. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel we were welcomed and everyone was great, check-in was very quick. My husband was there for business so his company booked the room and unfortunately it was a smoking room, but one with a fantastic view so the hotel put a ozone machine in the room and after an hour one wouldn't even know that the room was a smoking room. The furninshings in the room could use an update, but who goes to the Caribbean to sit in the room. The pools were clean and the walk down to Morningstar beach was beautiful, I was able to easily go to the beach with a 10 week old in a front carrier and a 3 year old. If you are going to travel with an infant I suggest you take something for him/her to sit in while you eat because everywhere we went there was nothing for an infant to sit in, luckily we took something for him. If you rent a car and request a infant carseat it may not be what you expect; therefore, if you are able to do it I would recommend taking your childs own carseat but if you can't you can also rent strollers and carseats through Caribbean Nanny Care. Through Caribbean Nanny Care and Nannies in Paradise you can spend some alone time with your spouse if you are traveling with kids, of course it costs a bit but my husband and I used Caribbean Nanny care for a day to ourselves and it was well worth it. We didn't eat much at the hotel since they were a little pricier than going off the grounds. The fitness room was also very nice with good equipment. The Adventure Center desk staff are very helpful and they have menus to most of the restaurants on the island. We recommend Hook, Line, and Sinker their food was excellent and reasonbaly priced compared to other restaurants. We went to Magen's Bay for a day as it is rated one of the world's most beautiful beaches; however, it was very busy and I liked the beaches on ST. John better.
The highlight of Magen's Bay is when we left we stopped at Udder Delight for ice cream and it was great, you can get alcoholic milkshakes. We were also told that alcohol is the cheapest at Price Mart and if you need a grocery store go to Plaza Extra beside the Big Kmart. Overall this was a terrific time for my family even though my husband did have to work. I definitey recommend Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Resort and will not hesitate to stay there again. Have fun.

Some like it , some don't

Went with 2 other couples in Nov. 03. Thought the resort was very nice.
Beautiful beach!! Unfortunately there was not much night life. That was ok for my husband and I, but our friends enjoy a little more fun. We were there to relax and celebrate our anniversary, so we loved it. We were disappointed that were were not advised about several restaurants being closed during this time of year , so the choices were limited.
Food was good and people were very nice. Weather was not great either.
Rained everyday, with patches of sun here and there. We would go back but do not think our friends would.

Had a teriffic time!!

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon and a great time at the Mariott. We stayed at the Morning Star Resort which was very nice. The rooms were clean and the decor was very pleasant. It was great staying on the beach. Our room had a great view where we could watch the cruise/cargo ships arrive in the morning and depart in the evening. The nights were relatively cool so we opened the door to balcony so we could hear the waves break on the shore. I would (as have others) recommend the breakfast plan which provides for breakfast in "Coco Joe's" (a la carte) or "Windows by the Harbour" (I think this was the name - it was a buffet). We did the buffet every morning which was very good - lot's of fruit!!! and we were often waited on by Antoinette, a very friendly waitress. She greeted us every morning with a hearty "Good Morning Honeymooners!"

As to some comments before - food is very expensive at the resort, but it is off the resort too. For first time visitor's keep in mind it is a small island that has to import just about everything, as such, food is more expensive than in the states. I went into a local grocery store and found grapes for $5.50/lb (yikes!) You can eat less expensively than at the resort for sure in town but you have to get there either by taxi or ferry. Either way will cost you money. I read that hotels are not allowed to offer complementary shuttles to town by law, so you will have to pay to get there. We chose to rent a car, which in my opinion is the best way to get around if you are going to be there for a few days. Driving on the left takes a little getting use to, but after a day or so, I made the adjustment and we drove all over the place. I did keep to Charlotte Amalie and Frenchtown at night though. I made a point not to get caught on the hillside roads at night. The lighting is poor and the roads are extremely narrow in some spots.

Places I would recommend to eat are "Cuzzins" a caribbean restaurant in Charlotte Amalie and very good restaurant called "Craig & Sally's" in Frenchtown. It was recommended to us by a couple we met who visits St.
Thomas often. It is pricey (resort prices), but the food was excellent and it gets you out of the resort :-)

A great choice but pick the Morning Star

A solid choice but pick the Morning Star for more privacy.My girlfriend and I just got back from five days in St. Thomas where we stayed at the Morning Star hotel in a garden view room. Overall the Marriott was high quality and perfect for those folks who want convenience and comfort but not top dollar luxury. Seemed great for families.

Tips:* The Frenchman's Reef is a big impersonal hotel. Much better to stay at the Morning Star and take the five minute walk to Frenchman's when you need an amenity.* The Morning Star has garden view and ocean view rooms. Generally the ocean view rooms are thought to be nicer (ocean view, duh) but be careful - some of the rooms in building 1 and 5 face the restaurant and bar - not exactly private. * If you want to travel around the island, definitely rent a car. Taxis are moderately priced but you'll enjoy having the convenience of your own wheels. If you're a confident driver the roads are fine - a bit curvy with some potholes but not bad.* Dining: Herve is raved about but we found it average. Best bet on the island? The Old Stone Farm House by Magen's Bay. Excellent!* Beaches: Megan's Bay on St. Thomas is great but definitely go over to St. John's as well. 15 minute ferry from East End plus a cheap cab ride will put you at amazing beaches.

Morningstar - Part of Marriott

by Sld323

Can anyone give me a review on Morningstar - part of the Marriott Resort. I have rewards that I can use there..but I can't find pictures or anything on this resort.
Any information would be helpful.

by Agraichen

The Marriott web pages show a nice location..

by JLoeb

I stayed there many times. Last I remember it was all remodled after the latest hurricane. It seemsed pretty cool to me then. About 5 years ago. Morning Star is right on the beach the hotel is separate and the closet to the town. They had a water taxi called the little Reefer guess it is still there. Take a cab at nite if you go out. Watch your back!

by icu_nxtime

It is a seperate section from the hotel but right next door. Morning Star in my opinion had a nicer pool area and it is located right on the beach. The hotel is at a rockier part of the beach so Morning Star is better for that too our son played in fromnt of the morningstar section most of the time as it was nicer.

I never saw the inside of the rooms at Morning Star so I won't comment on that, the hotel rooms are the usual. Doesn't really matter where you go with Marriott you really can't loose !!!

Comments