6500 Estate Smith Bay, St. Thomas, 00802, Caribbean

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• My views on Sugar Bay resort

I just returned from my trip to Sugar Bay resort. For a resort in its category, I think it's a solid three. First of all, my room was clean, but it needed a facelift. It was very comfortable though - nice bed and pillows. Cleaned nicely each day, and plenty of soap, etc. I had an ocean view, which was spectacular, breathtaking! Long hike each day to the pool and beach via the infamous steps or up to the main lobby for a shuttle. Not much they can do about that I think, except the shuttle, which I found to be reliable. Very helpful tour desk, and in general, I found everyone at the hotel very helpful and friendly. I do think being aware of and respectful of local customs and culture is important at the hotel and everywhere else on the islands. This includes not walking around the hotel lobby in bathing suits, and saying good morning, good afternoon or good evening and generally being polite... Not that much to ask, if you ask me. The food in all the restaurants and buffets was good, but choices were limited except at buffets. Boci, the Italian restaurant, was indeed the best although they need to put some art on the walls! The $20 breakfast buffet was delicious with almost nothing missing, but definitely, they need other options so that you don't have to pay the same $20 if all you want is a bagel. Gaming room with slots was fun - nice attendant there who wanted me to win! Pool is big, love the in- pool bar. Not much going on at night and not great quality when there was entertainment. The beach is small and must be very full during peak times. It is
    also rocky, which was disappointing. But the beach was lovely even still, and the snorkeling was fun. Biggest issue at the pool and beach was never enough towels, which was very inconvenient. There is lots of wildlife of all kinds at the hotel, which I loved. Cats, ducks, gecko, iguana, birds....all are there amongst the guests. Would i consider this hotel again? Yes, but i would look at other options first. My biggest words of advice to the managers of the hotel would be to improve the breakfast options and correct the problem with towels at the pool and beach.

Unique Quality: Views are gorgeous.

Directions: Located close to Redhook.

• false avertisment

staff was pleasent but unorganized. They had a daily calender of events, but never did any of the events. They said it was kid friendly and there wasnt anything for them to do. The bummper boats were broke, the kids club did no activies with the kids.The food wasnt very good, never hot always cold. Very dissapointing. The rooms were outdated. They need to be updated and the rooms werent very clean. For the money we spent i was never dissapointed. The pool was dirty, there was a foamy gross film around the egdes of the pool. No resort shuttle from resort to other places. Cabs/ Taxis are very pricey (5 to 15 dollars a person to ride a cab/taxi). WYNHAM RESORTS NO LONGER OWNS SUGAR BAY!

Unique Quality: Water was outstandingly beautiful.

Directions: 37 east right to sugar bay resort.

More about Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort And Spa

3 and half stars

by PrincessK about Wyndham Sugar Bay

The Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort & Spa is a beach and watersport lover's paradise. With breathtaking mountain and ocean views - this resort is the perfect Caribbean island destination.

Carved into a mountainside, Sugar Bay is the most spectacular all-inclusive resort on St. Thomas.Private balconies overlook lush mountains, white beaches and sparkling waters. Outside, enjoy a host of pleasures including golf, tennis, scuba, snorkeling, sailing, kayaking or windsurfing. Or take a swim in the ocean or any of the three fresh-water pools.

All-inclusive

by eight_08 about Wyndham Sugar Bay

Wyndham Sugar Bay is an all-inclusive resort near Charlotte Amalie (pronounced Ah-mahl-yuh). It is a sprawling place--we walked like crazy between rooms and facilities. There were 15 of us staying there for my wedding. We did not choose to use their wedding facilities because, to be quite honest, they are just not that great. The beach is small and not overly picturesque and the gazebo on the rooftop is disappointing. We took the ferry to St. John to get married on Hawksnest Beach instead, and didn't regret it. The resort has two restaurants--the buffet restaurant by the pools and the nice restaurant in the hotel. The buffet restaurant, pools and beach are about 100 steps down from the main hotel so don't fear indulging; you'll work it all off in the climb back. There is an excellent shuttle service for those who cannot manage all the walking. Our room was very nice and the view from the balcony fantastic. The place was clean and well maintained (except for the elevators, which tended to break down frequently) and I've never slept so well in my life. The food at both the Manor House restaurant and the buffet restaurant is excellent and there is always a good selection. The drinks at the pool bar left a lot to be desired--if it wasn't a daiquiri, a slushy margarita or a pina colada they really didn't know what to do with it. The bar in the hotel was good, though. The beach is man-made (blasted out of the rock) and is therefore a little rocky but the snorkeling is free and pretty darned good and the sand is white and pretty. It's worth leaving the resort to check out nearby beaches, though. Apparently there is a trail somewhere on the resort that cuts over to next-door Sapphire Beach but we didn't hear about that until after we left. All-in-all this is a great place to stay, especially if you can get a good airfare/hotel package at the travel agent. The resort is only a 5 min. cab-ride to the ferry to St. John and the British VI so it is a great base location if you plan to take day trips.

Stay-a-Way

by travelqueen7 about Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort

Well well wasn't this hotel a treat. It looks beautiful on the website, but I don't think they are advertising the same hotel once you get there.
I had first called ahead and asked question and I was told what I wanted to hear, but then the truth came out when I arrived and it was the total opposite.
Then I go to my room and open the door and was welcomed by a wonderful smell of mold and mildew with wonderful red stains all over the carpet.
After looking at the view and checking out the room my sister and I head down to the beach only to find out it's the size of a peanut smelling like sewage. On a windy day the smell over took the restaurant, pool and beach. As they are located on top of one another. After going back to the room a couple times I decided to count how many stairs we were walking and it 99 down and 99 up or you can take the unreliable shuttle then walk 15mins to your room.
If you asked the employees about the smell, they ignor you or make up some story. Kinda hard to believe when you see the pipe run out into the see.
But at least it was place to sleep and an encouragement to get out and about everyday. *caribbean island + carpeted rooms = smelly

*hotel has a dress code for everything that they don't tell you about

*lame entertainment

*2 restaurants that serve the same menu on the same day, just presented differently

*2 bars, 1 located at the bottom of the 99 steps

*only all inlcusive on the island

*15mins walk to a honeymoon suite

Sugar Beach

by agapotravel

We ate dinner at the Agave Terrace. Before dinner, we walked a short nature trail to Sugar Beach. It was so peaceful in the evening. I honestly don't know what it is like during the day.

It is part of the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort, so I imagine it is quite crowded with guests during the day.

rent a car and get a map from the hotel

by Nantesha

If you are comfy driving then it is worth getting a car. our hotel was far from the airport (the Wyndham sugar bay and resort) and we drove daily so it was worth it. If we were to take cabs everywhere, it would of cost 10-20 p/person from the hotel to town. We took two maps from the hotel and airport and used all the sites that tourists go to and went there on our own. If anything you can follow the tour buses, although slow waiting for everyone. We also took the barge for 40 dollars and went to St john's and drove all through the island too. It was fun. There is a fab coffee spot in the main town. I have the reciept somewhere and will write more

good time at sugar bay

just got back from 5 days in st. thomas, from 5/25/03 to 5/30/03, the wyndham sugar bay resort turned out to be better than expected. having read other reveiws i was sceptical at first, but i had made up my mind my wife and i were going to have a good time no matter what. hotel was first class, room was great, we had a garden veiw and a partial of beach, but it was great. food was good, you just have to try everything to see what you like, its by no means american food but good enough. a lot of choices in the buffet and the grill was great. the main dining room was good, service a little slow, but ive waited longer in american restaurants. breakfest was outstanding. the beach was a little rocky take some water shoes with you, snorkeling was good to the right of beach, big rocks and plenty of fish to see. if you want good swimming walk to your left a little ways and your at coki beach. pool was good a little small nice waterfall and plenty of room to lounge by pool. watch out for iguanas, they are sneaky. i kept warning my wife about them liking painted toenails and one got me by the big toe while i was on my stomach, didnt hurt. he spit it right back out. had no trouble getting drinks. tip the bartenders a few times, just a dollar and youll get good service. the staff were always friendly, especially if you took the time to talk to them, make sure to say thank you and hello alot. the guests were snobbier than the staff. a good tip take your own beach towels, you can wash them out at night and they will be dry the next morning. they had a few activities during the day, bingo and a few games, birdlady came one day with parrots, its worth seeing. they could use a few more things for kids and adults to do. did not have movie at nights for some reason,cable tv was good enough. place wasnt packed out like i thought it would be, no long lines.taxis are rather expensive to get around in but most all the drivers were friendly and helpful.they have rates posted for taxis and if they treat you good give ted out, 3 cruise ships there at one time. store owners and vendors were nice, they will bargain, shop around some before you buy especially at vendors area. you will be hustled some by tour guides, just tell them no and keep walking. the island is beautiful away from downtown, it was clean but rundown some, needs alot of paint. get the taxi driver to take you on the scenic route to town or back to the hotel. cost you a little extra but worth it. if you go, go with a smile and enjoy yourself, the islands are beautiful.

I repeat..stay in red hook. ...

by leah_monique

I repeat..stay in red hook. Here are some good resorts nearby. Wyndam sugar bay (all inclusive)and Point Pleasant. Ritz Carlton(although probably very expensive)and I heard that the Elysian is nice.

Not much better than average

My family and myself just returned from a week stay at Wyndham Sugar Bay Hotel & Spa. We were very disappointed with several items. One, the beach is not good for swimming at all. It is rocky and dangerous to wade in. Second, the food was terrible. The breakfast was okay (how could you destroy eggs?) and was only in the main dining room. Lunch was from 12 - 2 pm at the pool. Considering there were 300 guests that is a large amount of people. The hotel stopped putting food out at 1 pm and did not replenish anything. There is an outdoor barbeque grill that you can get a burger, hot dog from til 6 pm but not everyone likes burgers. Dinner was a buffet at the pool (6-9 pm) with food stopping at 8 or so. Also, you could have a sit down meal and be served but the menu never changed from the 8 items offered. The staff servers were not friendly nor proficient. The views etc will not entice us back ever!!!!! Also, the taxi to get anywhere is $8 each per person so going into the city was a kings ransom.

We would definitly go back!

My wife and I just returned from our 10 day honeymoon at Wymdam Sugar Bay. We had a wonderful time! I Was a little aprehensive after reading some reviews, but non of the negative reviews became an issue. On arrival,check in went very smoothly. All the staff were freindly and courteous. Our room was in building B on the 2nd floor. It was considered a partial ocean view, non the less it was still a fantastic view. To the right you could see Water bay,Coki point, Thatch Cay, the Wyndham beach,To the left you could see the water park, and the St Thomas country side. The room itself is probably the only thing close to negative. The carpeting was a little tired, the bedspread a little worn, the walls could have used new paint. Other than that , the room was layed out well. A large bathroom, a second sink outside the bathroom, and a refridgerator. The hotel and grounds were absolutly beautiful. Access to the beach and water park was a concern. there is a long stairway down to them. My wife has a disability and requires the aid of a wheelchair. There is a shuttle that runs to the pool area every ten minutes. The drivers were more than accomadating. The whole property is fairly wheelchair accessable. Many reviews of the beach complained about the rocks. We found this not to be a big problem. They made for great snorkeling, especially off to the right , where there were some submerged boulders, that shelterd schools of colorful fish. The three pools were alittle cold, but warmed up toward the end of our stay. The iguanas were more interesting than annoying, especially, during the iguana feedings. Rawn, one of the staff does the feedings, and will answer all your questions.The food was pretty good. Some we liked, some we didn't. The manor House restraunt was excellent, especially the breakfast buffet. The Mangrove restaurant by the pools was good they had a differnt theme buffet every night. The iguana grill for lunch was great, especially the marinated chicken breast sandwiches. We found the servicear would have as many as three bartenders at busy times, so there was never a very long wait. We really had a great time here. If we ever go back to St Thomas, We will definitly go back to Wyndham Sugar Bay.

Wonderful Hotel!!

After reading the reviews on this site and others before going to the Wyndham Sugar Bay I was very nervous about our choice of hotels. However, from the moment we got there (around 2 pm and our room was not ready yet) they welcomed us and got our vacation off on the right start. We went to the beautiful pool area and the Mangrove Grille allowed us to eat lunch even though they close at 2 pm for lunch serving. My husband ordered a beer and before it was gone the waitress had brought him a new one knowing that we had just gotten there. I had requested building D because I had heard that this was the best view and I was disappointed to find that we were in buiding B on the first floor. However, we had a beautiful view of the ocean, beach and pool area - and of the hotel across the way. Not to mention we were close to the steps to the pool/Mangrove restaurant. There are alot of steps but they are broken down into groups and very easily manageable - it helped us excersise after all the food. We ate every night in the Mangrove Restaurant with the exception of one night at the Manor House. We loved the Mangrove and were never disappointed with the food selection. The fish was always the best. The Manor House was good - the ceaser salad was awesome and the service was great. The breakfast here was also great - the omelettes are huge! The poolside grille was great too, the fresh chicken with cheese was very good and the burgers were great too. Loved all the fixings and the Nachos. The beach is great - there were hardly any people on it which made it even nicer. We always got a spot near the sandy shore area and hung out in the water every day. The rocks are a super spot to snorkel-better than Trunck Bay at St. John. People insisted on going into the water on the rocks when if they walked a few feet to the left they could have just waded in. The bars were fun - with the exception of the Ocean Club. My only complaint about the entire vacation is that this bar is kept very hot and is much more suited to the eto wait in line for a long time to get drinks and the karoke is only the employees. It is a shame because when you pay to stay you want to enjoy the only two bars you can go to. The steel drum music at the Turtle Rock was great! And the entertainment there was great also. Overall, we loved the hotel and the fact that you can get Coors Light and Miller Lite in cans whenever you want them. The mixed drinks are very strong! Beware! You can't beat this hotel - a great value for your vacation on St. Thomas - a beautiful island!!

Wyndham Sugar Bay ResortWyndham Sugar Bay Resort

Sugar Bay Wyndham, St. Thomas, room viewSugar Bay Wyndham, St. Thomas, room view

Sugar Bay resort room viewSugar Bay resort room view

Sugar Bay Resort, Sunrise view from our roomSugar Bay Resort, Sunrise view from our room

Wyndham Sugar Bay

by buzzlegum

Me and a few girlfriends are planning a trip to st. thomas this summer and I was wondering if anyone had stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay resort, I called them up and they said they had made major changes and I was wondering if this would be a good place to stay.
I also heard that you don't need a passport but I wasn't too sure about that one, does anyone know?

Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

by Jesperp

Hi
I cannot help you. St. Thomas was a part of Danish West Indies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_West_Indies
Jesper

Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

by flabum

We stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay July 7, thru the 14th 2007. We had a great time.
our view was beautiful, but we had a deluxe, partial oceanview and looked out over BVI's, St Johns. The Turtle rock bar is Great and Karen is a great bartender. We were all inclusive and this is the way to go. If you are nice to the staff, they will be nice to you. Also tipping is greatly appreciated.
the food is good, epecially the pool grill. I would suggest going to Coki Beach around the corner great snorkeling. I would invest in a pair of water shoes.

Beautiful part of the island, can't wait to go back.

Hotels on St Thomas

by cmcarney

My husband and I would like to go to the Virgin Islands for our second anniversary and would like to spend half the time at an all-inclusive and the other half at St John at a campground. Does anyone have oppinions regarding Bolongo Bay Resort versus Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort. I can get them for comparable prices but was wondering about the experience and beaches withen walking distance - oh yea and of course about the food.

Re: Hotels on St Thomas

by pacompay

wyndham and no ?
beach,food every thing is good
walking distance is not a problem
we just be on ST Tomas

Re: Hotels on St Thomas

by gp777

I can only speak for going to Bonlongo. I was there this time of year, last year, due to lower costs you enjoy in late August and early September. Bolongo was just fine. The only thing I would do different, next time, is get a hotel either in Cruz Bay (Red Hook) or their downtown area (Charlotte Amalie). The reason is because you spend so much money on taxi fare, that if you stayed in one or two of the "hotter spots" you would cut your taxi costs in half. The Bolongo location assures you that no matter where you choose to visit, you have a taxi fare waiting for you ($6 to $10 one way per person, I believe). No complaints have I toward Bolongo, but "location, location, location" is key. I hope this helps.

All inclusive resort?

by lisaloves2laf

My boyfriend and I are planning a vacation in late May, but we can't decide where to go. We have been searching online trying to find the best island to visit, but have had no luck narrowing down our choices. We have been looking at US Virgin Islands but we are not opposed to British Virgin Islands. We prefer all-inclusive. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be wonderful! Any resort that provides transportation to local sights would be a plus. I dont know if taxis are even an option in the virgin islands?? We are in our mid 20's and just want to get away!! Thank you

Re: All inclusive resort?

by Vulindlela

www.bolongobay.com

We stayed here for a week and loved it.
It is all inclusive.

You can take a taxi and it is about 30 minutes from the airport.

Re: All inclusive resort?

by MichaelStx

I wasn't aware that bolongo bay was an all-inclusive, but it may be now. The Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort on St. Thomas has all-inclusive packages. But, unlike some other Caribbean islands, the Virgins don't really have many all-inclusives. On St. Croix particularly you don't want to limit yourself to just whats offered on the resort. We have great restaurants, great beaches, a plethora of historical sites, galleries and studios, snorkeling and scuba sites. Unless you just want to hang around the pool all day, I wouldn't limit your search to all-inclusives in the USVI.

Taxis are plentiful, though a bit pricey if you're doing much traveling around. Car rentals are not bad, starting around $40/day, $300/wk. Some local places run 3 days for $99 specials. There are also a couple good tour companies on St. Croix to get you around and show you the island for a day.

Sweeney's Safari Tours (http://www.gotostcroix.com/safaritours/)takes you around in a big open-air safari van to the more established tourist destinations, The Whim Plantation Museum, The St. George Village Botanical Gardens, The Cruzan Rum Factory, and through the rain forest.

To get off the beaten path a bit, try Tan Tan Tours (http://www.stxtantantours.com/). Wave Phillip and his crew will, as their slogan says, "take you anywhere the tan tan grow", by jeep. Which is pretty much anywhere on island. Places they'll take you that you might not go with Sweeny include the Annaly/Wills Bay natural tide pools, the monks baths, to the top of Goat Hill on the East End, and through the lesser traveled sections of the rain forest.

Comments