Gjirokaster Hotels

Our Members Say

• Wojtek_R profile photo Wojtek_R
  • Reviews: 45

Kotoni Bed & Breakfast: A warm welcome to Albania

Mr.Kotoni welcomes you to his house located in the old town up on the hill a short walk away from the castle and the Ethnographic Museum.

Great rooms, great stories, great atmosphere, great food and great Albanian hospitality, all for a great price (1500 leke)

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 23, 2004

• Argjiro profile photo Argjiro

Hotel Kalemi: Gjirokaster's Best Hotel

In Gjirokaster, there are hotels in the center of the town but the Hotel Kalemi (++ 355 8463 724/7260) – with original hand-carved wood ceilings, spotless décor and superb views of the Lunxheria mountains – is highly recommended. Rooms start at around US$30 a night.

Hotel Kalemi is a renovated house. It has 11 single and double rooms with AC, TV, parking, reustorant and 24 hours service.

• Related to: Festivals, Castles and Palaces, Museum Visits
  • Written February 18, 2005

Hotel Kalemi, Gjirokaster, Albania

Hotel Buci: Hotel Buci

Hotel Buci stands along Rruga nacionale, the main highway coming from the south. I suppose it is Puntore district.
It is certainly not the best hotel in town but we arrived there a bit late, it was clean, the staff was friendly, it was inexpensive, they could make dinner, then we stayed there andwere perfectly happy about it.

• Written August 18, 2007

• SirAliztare profile photo SirAliztare
  • Reviews: 11

Hotel Tuto: Most definately affordable

Whilst looking for a hotel on the main street down from the taxi square, an oldish-looking man accosted us with the word 'hotel?' while gesturing towards his eyes. A swap of glances between my travelling companion and I led us to repond in the affirmative. The gentleman beckoned us down a side-road, continually looking over his shoulder and waving us on at a brisk pace. A couple of hundred yards later and it transpired that the 'hotel' to which the gentleman was alluding was in fact a spare room at the back of his house. Negotiating an old pallet and some spectacularly awkward steps, the 'hotelier' showed us into a small hall with a washroom off one way, and a double and single bed in an adjoining room. The gentleman marched over to the bedside table and, picking something up, turned and proudly presented us with his business card: 'Hotel Tuto' and a phone number scribbled onto the back of a torn up cigarette carton. According to the gesticulations of our host, the whole building belonged to Tuto and his family.

After instructing us, in detailed Albanian, how to use the shower (something about turning off the electricity to avoid...and I didn't quite catch the last bit), we agreed a price of 700 Leke for the pair of us (about £5, I think). With that he marched out of the door with a smile on his face.

The alarm call in the morning was Tuto knocking on the window bars and saying 'Checkout' whilst holding up ten fingers, then 'Chelsea' while signalling a double thumbs down. If only I knew the Albanian idiom for 'I'm a Kidderminster Harriers fan'.

• Written February 22, 2007
Tip Photo

Looks like it but no fleas in the beds

• illumina profile photo illumina
  • Reviews: 1057

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Cajupi: Lingering communist decor

The Hotel Cajupi is located prominently in the main taxi square, just before the old town.

I didn't stay in the hotel, as we were only there for a day trip, but after the 4 hour coach journey from Ksamili we were all a bit desperate, so nipped into the hotel to use the toilet facilities. These weren't impressive - a bit dank and dirty - but the interior of the hotel is well worth a look. Apparently it was a state-run hotel during communist times, and still has the red carpet and decorations to prove it.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written April 11, 2006

• njonjo profile photo njonjo
  • Reviews: 59

"CAJUPI": Old times of regime

Hotel 'Cajupi' seems to be the biggest in the town. It is the typical hotel building of communist architecture and the interiors still reminded me that time, but I liked my staying there. We had a twin room with bathroom for 20 $.
But I'm reading here on VT other interesting tips about accomodation in Gjirokaster, so search around.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Architecture
  • Written March 31, 2005

Hotel Çajupi

Hotel Çajupi stands on Sheshi Çerçiz Topulli square at the entrance of the Bazar (Qafa e pazarit). It is the largest hotel in Gjirokastra as it was under Enver Oxha regime, the state hotel. On our passage in 2007, it was closed and looked more or less dilapidated. In 2009, it had been entirely renewed and from outside (we did not visit the inside) looked very nice and modern. It has 30 rooms.

It is named after the pen name of poet Andon C. Çako (1866-1930), who was born in a village near Gjirokastra. He settled in Egypt where he became a successful layer. He is best known for its translation from French of La Fontaine’s Fables.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Architecture

Hotel ��ajupi on Sheshi ��er��iz Topulli

Hotel Kalemi: Hotel Kalemi

Hotel Kalemi is a family run hotel with 11 rooms. It was established by Drago Kalemi in a traditional family house on the heights of Palorto, close to Zekate house. Most rooms are lare. Our was rather small but had a great view on the old and the modern city as well as on the

Hotel Kalemi

• Steve31 profile photo Steve31

KOTONI B+B: Best Guest House

Kotoni B+B is the best guest house, Haxhi (the owner) is so friendly. the service is amazing at KOTONI's. You can get to KOTONI's from Tirana (the capital city of albania) or Greece. KOTONI is located 200 meters fram from the center of the old Bazar, close to the only mosque in Gjirokastra.

A wonderfull hospitality at Kotoni's, reasonable prices and a good cook. KOTONI ofers a guide to the town of Gjirokastra and even the Whole south of Albania. You dont need a plan what to visit... just stay at KOTONI B+B and you will be told everything (what to see, where to go..etc)

Everybody who stays at KOTONI B+B do not forget to see the KOTONI's IMPRESSION BOOK. thats the whole amazing story of KOTONI. you will read there impressions of people freom all over the world.

• Written June 17, 2007

Hotel Kalemi: Hotel Kalemi

• Related to: Architecture

Hotel Kalemi

• KOTONI profile photo KOTONI

KOTONI B+B: The first and best guest house in Gjirokastra

You can get to KOTONI B+B from Greece, Tirana or Saranda. Kotoni B+B was opened in 1991 in characteristic building, built in 1808. Kotoni B+B offers 5 wonderfull rooms 15€/person -25€/2persons including a cooked breakfast. The languages spoken at Kotoni B+B are: English, Greek, Italian.

You can find Kotoni B+B 200 meters far from the only mosque in the town. The service and the hospitality at Kotoni is amazing. The guest house organizes trips all over the south showing you views you would never forget!!!

...IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN AT KOTONI B+B, DON'T SAY YOU HAVE BEEN IN GJIROKASTRA!!!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written June 10, 2007

• Jetgirly profile photo Jetgirly
  • Reviews: 1226

Hotel Çajupi: Most Helpful Staff Ever

Although I didn't stay at Hotel Çajupi, I did go inside when I absolutely could not find a taxi to take me to the Sarande-bound bus. The girl working at the reception desk was the single friendliest and most helpful hotel employee I have ever encountered. She spoke excellent English and immediately helped me contact a taxi. The hotel looked very clean and well-equipped, and that, combined with the awesome receptionist, would make it my first choice if I returned to Gjirokastra for an overnight visit.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Seniors, Luxury Travel
  • Written September 9, 2012

Gjirokastra, Albania

• TomJohnes profile photo TomJohnes

Kotoni Bed and Breakfast: Gjirokastras' best B&B

I visited Albania almost a year ago. I got there from the Greek border "Kakavia" and my first stop was in Gjirokastra, the closest town to the Greek border. I was looking for a good hotel and reasonable prices, to spend 2 days in this town. Gjirokastra is an old town, with a lot of museums and history. Every corner of that town has its own history. It was amazing!

I stayed at Kotoni's guest house. The owners were so friendly and welcoming. They spoke good English, Greek and Italian. I stayed in a room with two characteristic arches, but Haxhi and Vita (the owners) let me see every room of the house and take a lot of pictures. Every room was different from the other, but the style was traditional from Gjirokastra. I definitely wanted to spend more than a couple of days in this place!

The food was delicious! I enjoyed every single bite of all that traditional Albanian food.

• Related to: Family Travel, Historical Travel, Horse Riding