Hotel Seestuben

More about Villach

Burg Landskron close to VillachBurg Landskron close to Villach

Kaerntner Freilichtmuseum in Maria SaalKaerntner Freilichtmuseum in Maria Saal

Wappen der Stadt VillachWappen der Stadt Villach

The Dinner Table....The Dinner Table....

Moving to Villach- any hints?

by Undecided

Hi all,
I've been posted to Villach from September to teach English and am afraid that there'll be nothing to do there. Have read Lonely Planet's description ("nothing much to see") and am a bit nervous. Is Villach worth seeing or will I be travelling to Salzburg for the weekends?
Vielen Dank! Una

by Manara

You don't say how long you will be there. If you have many week-ends to spend there, Salzburg is not the only option, there is also Klagenfurt. And please note that the Italian border is very near. Going to Venice may take less, by train or car, than going to Salzburg.

by Undecided

Hi-- thanks for the reply. I'll be there from October 04 to the end of May 05. Just booked my Christmas flights home! Alles Gute! Una

by travelthrough

Villach is an industrial town. Better go to Klagenfurt and the lake.

by Manara

I hope you like skiing, you will have great opportunities there in winter.
About other ways to spend your week-ends, several Italian cities are easy to reach from Villach, for instance Udine is about 150 km away, and connected to Villach by train.

by STEFZAMM

Hi ,

I just came from Villach.. I loved it.. the centre I really liked.. it has all the good shops at very good prices... You'll be in the perfect place for skiing also and if Villach is quiet in the evening you can go to Velden which is only between 30 min and 45 min away from Villach... If in Velden you can take a boat trip and visit Maria Worth one morning.. its a quite village with a cute market, lovely church etc.. In Villach I went on the Gerlitzen mountains too .. which was fun... !
I was staying at the Ebner hotel which was fantastic and during my stay I visited places in Italy, Slovenia and obviously Austria... therefore good thing about this place is its on the border to Italy and Slovenia and in as little as 2hrs by car you can be in Italy or Slovenia.. Klagenfurt is another place which I recommend you should visit while in Austria...
To be honest I wish I had more time there in Villach.. I loved it... and mind you .. if you love travelling you shall take the opportunity to explore other villach and its surroundings while working there... No need to be nervous if I were you .. I'll be thrilled...

Greetings from malta
Stefzamm

by Manara

I see you have just started building a new page on Villach, Stephanie. I hope to read something interesting there soon!

by STEFZAMM

You will... just got the photos.. will soon create some good pages...

stef

Travel Tips for Villach

Roam around through the...

by Pavlik_NL

Roam around through the mountains. Walking in Austria, especially Kärnten (Karintia), Tirol, Salzburgerland and the Steiermark is of unique pleasure and the Autrian touristboard does everything to create new routes and pleasurable walks for all.

Ferlach - a great daytrip & technical museum

by globetrott

Historama Ferlach
Austria's largest transport-museum
This great museum is not only for cars, but also for old trams,trains, buses and trucks plus some other technical achievements like steam-machines and old industrial machineries. You will find this museum inside an old production-hall and some of the old post-buses of the museum will take you from the station of Ferlach to the museum on a regular basis. from that station there is also a museum-steamtrain leaving every day in summer, see the schedules in my transportation-tips !
The car-collection of this museum includes a lot of unique cars of Austrian productions - there are lots of photos in the travelogues of my Ferlach-page !
----------------------------------------------
Drivingtime from Villach to Ferlach is about 1 hour
Historama is open for visitors in 2010: July 3rd till Sept. 12th
Tue-Fri: 01.00-05.00pm, Mondays its closed
Sat & Sun: 11.00am-06.00pm
Sept 19 + Sept. 26th is open as well: 11.00am-05.00pm
Free entry for holders of Kärnten-Card !
entrancefee: 6 Euros for the museum alone, including the steamtrain-ride its 13,- euros !
For openingtimes for later years, please click here !

Kirchlein in Gratschach

by globetrott

Kirchlein in Gratschach
right under the castle of Landskronis one of the oldest churches of that area and it is dating back to the year 1195. Something interesting is the fact that you will see in the facade of that small church a lot of broken stone-arches and other stones that had been first used in other places and buildings, see my 2nd and 3rd photo here !
According to the church-descriptions there are some interesting frescos inside the church, but the church was closed when I was there.
Tuesday at 07.00pm there seems to be a regular time for prayers in that church !

Villach mountains

by alcalacurro

"Being free!"

When you cross the frontier with Slovenia, Villach, situated in the Alps, is one of the first poblations you´re going to met. Villach has the austian personality but with the lovely enchainment of the Alps.
If you dedice travelling by train from Ljubljana, during the journey you´ll see how mountains start climbing on the firmament. The frontier is quite peculiar cause austriac policeman pursue you showing them your personal identification in order to ckeck your name in an portatil computer. Is curious because when you return to Slovenia, the control is more simple, however you need showing your identification, but in this case, slovenian policeman don´t wear an portatil computer with them.
Villach is not a turistic poblation, and you´ll see a river in the middle of the village whose water provides from the Alps and walking by the Villach Alps´ forest is sure a good resolution. All this seems like a rainforest cause all of this is full, completly full of plants, thousands of deciduous trees with envolve you in your rute. Is fantastic.

Morning Walk About Villach

by mydreamquest

"About Walking a Morning in Villach"

After a hearty breakfast, it was 8am and my train wasn't to leave for Salzburg until after noon. So I decided to walk around to see Villach. By 9am, I was amazed in my one hour morning walk how vibrant and alive the city was with people shopping and going about their chores.

No it wasn't the weekend, it was a summer weekday morning. Over by St. Jakob, I notice these pigeons and their humanistic expressions and gestures looking down at me.

It reminded me of how Europeans often people watch from outdoor restaurants, bars, and cafes.

"A Mural in Villach"

I love taking pictures of murals in cities, this was the only one I found in my morning walk about Villach over on Italiener Strasse. I'm not sure, but I wonder if Italienerstrasse is the Italian neighborhood in Villach.

"Hans Gasser"

I found this statue of Hans Gasser (b Eisentratten, 2 Oct 1817; d Pest, 24 April 1868) located on Hans-Gasser Platz. Gasser was an artist who in my research, I've not discover much about who he was.

"Turkish Influence in Architecture"

This church in Villach, which I think is Heiligenkreuz-Kirche, has Baroque Style architecture. Notice the onion shape of the dome which is also common in Russian and Greek Orthodox churches. This is an influence from the fact that the Turks had at one time occupied parts of Austria. The Turks cultural influence is seen throughout Europe because of the one beverage they introduced: coffee.

"The Gardening Landscapes of Villach"

Throughout my walk of Villach, I was impressed as a homeowner looking for gardening ideas of the floral landscapes of Villach and the beauty of the trees.

Over here, I found much peace and beauty amid the nature about EvangKirche just in front of the Stadtpark

"Like a Klimt Painting"

Like a Klimt Painting I was moved as a gust of wind gave voice to the trees above me, in awe I saw the beauty of nature. This was taken somewhere along Pestalozzistrasse.

In music, this reminded me of the beauty of the 1st movement of Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony (No 6) .

Comments