Pension Haus Beate

Booking.com eDreams

More about Villach

Burg Landskron close to VillachBurg Landskron close to Villach

Transportmuseum in VillachTransportmuseum in Villach

Stones and mineralsStones and minerals

Cris' Dad fighting the cold!!Cris' Dad fighting the cold!!

Vienna to Villach

by Ronski

I will be travelling from Prague to Vienna then villach, on my way to Venice by car............

Does anyone know any campsites near either Vienna or Villach ???

Thanks for looking

Tel +43(1)9142314
Fax +43(1)9113594
E-Mail: camping.west@verkehrsbuero.at
WWW: http://www.tiscover.at/campingwien

The website allows you to view a map, rates, etc.

Enjoy

Travel Tips for Villach

VILLACH AROUND X-MAS

by Nykaenen

Holiday atmosphere was everywhere and we really enjoyed walking around, even doing (a lot) X-mas shopping... We found some really cute gift shops - so cute that I ended up buying almost all X-mas presents in Villach.

Maria Saal : 'Kaerntner Freilichtmuseum'

by globetrott

'Kaerntner Freilichtmuseum' in Maria Saal is a great halfday-excursion from Villach or Klagenfurt and maybe its best to combine it with a visit to Hochosterwitz castle & St.Veit an der Glan ! Lots of wooden houses from all parts of the county were rebuilt there again and you get the feeling to walk through a genuine village of the 17th or 18th century. There is a small chapel there, lots of farmhouses, some mills and a grocery-shop and in most of the buildings you can also step inside and take a look at the interesting furniture of the ancient times !
--------------------------------------------
This museum is open for visitors:
daily except mondays from May 1st till October 17th
between 10.00am and 06.00pm
last entrance is possible at 05.00pm !
the entrancefee is 6 euros

SKI JUMPING COMPETITION

by Nykaenen

I was present at the 2001 World Cup competition. The cream of ski jumping was there. The best were at their best - Adam Malysz of Poland won individual competition, Matti Hautamäki of Finland placed 2nd, Kazuyoshi Funaki of Japan 3rd, Sven Hannavald of Germany 4th,... Those of you who follow this sport will know that Adam, Matti and Sven went on dominating that whole season and are expected to dominate this coming 2002/3 as well.

So far Villach brought most WC podium places to Japan, Finland & Germany. Masahiko Harada won in 1995 & 1997, Janne Ahonen in 1999 & 2000 and, as I've already mentioned, Adam Malysz in 2001.

Unfortunately, Villach is not among regular World Cup venues. After the first competition in 1995, Villach hosted WC events again in 1997, 1999, 2000 & 2001. There will be no competition in season 2002/3 as only K120 hills are included in the schedule. The word is that K90 hills will be back next year - I sincerely hope so because Villach is only 3,5 hrs by car from Zagreb.

Not For Any Reason in Particular

by phastphreddy

Have you ever gone somewhere just to say that you've been there?

I have, just last Sunday (01-25-04). I was in Slovenia, on lake Bled and I had to make my way to Venice to catch a flight the next morning. The normal approach here would be to take a train or a bus to Ljubljana and then take the train to Venice. I would have done this execpt that Austria, a country to which I have never been, is a scant 20km from the Lesce-Bled train station. That was entirely too close to pass up.

I took the train to Villach and caught another train two hours later to Venice. Two hours isn't much of a visit to a country, but it gets worse. The two hours that I spent in Austria happened to be on a Sunday afternoon, and almost everything was closed. Everything except for the MacDonald's that is.

Oh my Austrian experience.

It wasen't a total waste though. I did get to enjoy an beautiful trip through the mountains, and I got to see something of the town center (I took pictures of a couple of very nice churchs that I'll need some help identifying later). I also bought roasted chestnuts off of a slightly frozen street vendor.

Still, does this count as an actual visit, or was it just an excuse to get one more stamp in my passport?

(Incedently, I had to ask the police officer at the border to stamp my passport, he wasen't going to do it at first.)

"But There is a Downside However"

The problem with stopping by on a lark is that you know absolutely nothing about the place your visiting. I took some pictures, but I don't know what of. Right now I'm in the process of trying to learn a few things about Villach so that I might write something interesting here instead of babbling on like an idiot.

To the right, out of the picture, is the MacDonald's. I didn't feel that I needed to include it. The picture looks just fine without it.

Igor Medved

by Nykaenen

Besides being a huge fan of the Finns, I like very much Igor Medved of Slovenia. Can't tell why exactly I started liking him, but can tell you why I still like him even though he's not jumping well this season.
I met him in Villach for the first time - I know his manager and when I inquired about Igor, his manager asked Igor to come and meet with my friend and me. For a guy of only 20, Igor displayed exceptional maturity and manners when talking to us. It's always nice to know that your favorite athlete has such a great personality!

Comments