Seewirt, Marktplatz, Hallstatt, 4830, Austria

Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Another world....

Gasthof Zauner enjoys a great location in the Market Place about 100 meters from the ferry terminal. the hotel has been run by the Zauner family for over 160 years. It's a very pretty little hotel with a lovely restaurant included.

Unique Quality: I requested a room with a balcony overlooking the lake and that is exactly what I got. What I didn't realise was that the hotel had no lift and to be able to see over the buildings infront to the lake, I had to be put on the top floor. There were a lot of stairs for a 60 year old with bad knees and lugging a 15kg suitcase. I couldn't believe that I hadn't thought of it in advance. In any event the manager carried my bag up and the housemaid saw me struggling to get it down and helped me out, so I was most grateful to both of them. The room was absolutely lovely as was the bathroom. Breakfast was included and was a very extensive buffet with everything you could want. I paid 58 euro for a single room.

Directions: Right at the top of the Market Place.

More about Gasthof Zauner

A Triumph & A Culinary Delight!

by conciusgardener about Gasthof Zauner

This traveler has little to say about the facilities of Gasthof Zauner, as frankly the food is too sumptuous to matter!
If you are looking for a local, highly recommended, and authentic Austrian dining experience while in Hallstatt, or any other known part of the world, then look no further.
As the name would indicate, Zauner is more than a restaurant and is also a delightful Inn with a number of rooms available for stay. Whether you decide to entrust your meal or your accommodation to the care of the Zauner family, you are likely in for a treat.
Gasthof Zauner has served up hospitality for over one-hundred years, so as you might imagine, they know a thing or two about great service.
The character of this place greets you at the door, with servers wearing traditional Bavarian attire, directing you to any number of linen covered tables lacking pretense and especially at home under ivy laden, rustic wood ceiling beams.
Loosen your belt, position your napkin, and prepare for a feast fit for a Salt Lord! If ever there were a gift from the god's to the children of men, the joy of dining and sharing with friends a meal lovingly prepared, is just such a gift.
If this be the case, then Gasthof Zauner has been set aside as a veritable culinary house of delights and temple for all those on the way toward a good meal.
Those skeptical of what is said here, prepare to be amazed, for one fork full of succulent grilled fish, prepared a la Zauner, will be sufficient to send your taste buds into jubilation and awe!
This travelers first encounter with otherworldly seafood, took place on the shaded, second floor balcony of Gasthof Zauner's restaurant, with a slight view of Hallstatt's village square.
I ordered the main fish from Lake Hallstatt, called Reinanke, grilled to perfection and served with roasted potato and decadent butter sauce. The folks at the Gasthof will tell you that their fish receives it's tastiness from the very clean, cold and deep waters off Hallstatt. From the very first bite, I began moaning and heralding the pleasures of such a simple fish, served whole and grilled just until a golden crust forms. Then in short order, those tables nearby began the song of satisfaction as their own plates arrived and the feast began. "This is the best fish I have ever enjoyed, in my life!" And if you proclaim this too, no wonder, because it's the truth.
Check out the menu at the gasthof website, as there are several options beyond fish. For dessert I was served the Salzburger Nockerl with cranberries, an airy soufflé of gargantuan proportion and also a local specialty. This dessert was so big in fact; I wrestled it over to the next table to offer the bounty to a couple Austrian natives who in turn offered me traditional schnapps, also delightful.
Anyone who would leave Hallstatt without sampling the harvest of the lake, should rethink, or at least return. In closing opinion, Gasthof Zauner serves up seriously delicious meals and specialty items which are unequaled in preparation, anywhere!

Try the fresh fish from the Lake......

by Maryimelda about Salzkammergut Fischrestaurant

This is the restaurant which is located in the Gasthof Zauner and it really is quite special. Beautiful decor with two formal dining areas and a third area on the balcony. Staff are very efficient, I thought they were a trifle condescending but that's probably just me. The specialty of the house is the Reinanke or the Trout fresh from the Lake. The fish is served whole but don't be put off, the waiter serves it up beautifully at the table. Priced per 10gm at 0.46, an average sized fish (about 300gm) will set you back 13 euro 80.

Fresh fish from the lake

by BorneoGrrl about Hotel Gasthof Zauner Seewirt

Opened over 100 years ago, the hotel restaurant maintains good service and serves wonderfully fresh fish from the lake. The restaurant is very Austrian and most of the furniture is made of pine. I enjoyed dining on the wooden balcony that overlooks Hallstatt. I tried the Hallstatt Fish Plate which had a few kinds of fishes from the lake cooked in a simple way. Delicious! For dessert, I tried the traditional Salzburger Nockerl. Other than fish, the Zauner serves a good selection of meat dishes e.g Hallstatt Celtic Skewer (pork, beef and veal, with grilled potatoes) & Zauner's Star (Four different kinds of grilled fillets (veal, pork, beef and liver), fried egg, different kinds of vegetable and potatoes). Mmmmmmmm.............

Hallstatt, Austria

by betsymarvin

"Travel to Hallstatt"

We read about this mountain village with its UNESCO World Heritage Site certification , and determined to see it, even though the trip there would be long and slow. Hopping on a train in Linz one morning, we changed to a smaller one in Attnang-Pucheim, half an hour southwest. Up through snow-capped mountains and Alpine meadows we chugged, stopping frequently at lakeside villages.
Finally we arrived at the Hallstatt station, just a small building in the woods, with a path down to the lake. There we purchased a ticket for the ferry that would take us across to the tiny community snuggled against the steep mountainside.
The ride was quick, and soon we disembarked for the walk up the hill to the ultra-charming town square.

"A look around the square"

We walked up past the tall Protestant church into the cobblestone square. The balconies of the old houses sported windowboxes of bright geraniums, and the central fountain with its column commemorating the end of the plague.
At one corner, a rustic ivy-covered building introduced itself as 'Gasthof Zauner,' and here we would have lunch. We climbed to the first floor, where a jolly lederhosen-clad young man seated us, and his merriment increased noticeably when we ordered the 'fish platter,' with three whole fish, freshly caught! Pricing for this dish is based on weight, and we ended up paying more than we'd planned, but it was delicious. We ate trout, salmon-trout, and a local specialty.

The Gasthof ZaunerThe Gasthof Zauner