Hotel Haselbraben

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Linz

The smallest theater in Austria - GreinThe smallest theater in Austria - Grein

Linz rail station.Linz rail station.

gardens in the kloistersgardens in the kloisters

hartheim castlehartheim castle

Linz condo/vacation rental

by dimara

Hello from Canada!

We will be traveling to Linz next summer and I am having difficulty finding any rentals in this area. The closest I've located so far is one by Attersee.

Size may be part of the problem as we are looking for a place that will accommodate 6 people (2 adults and four children).

We were hoping for a "Ferienwohnung" ( incl. a kitchen).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Areas within a reasonable distance (so we can drive into Linz daily) would also be helpful.).

Thanks in advance!

Dimara

Re: Linz condo/vacation rental

by Torontogal

Hi Dimara, I've stayed with my family in several ferienwohnung over the years, and LOVE it! My son loves having his own room, and they are often equipped with TV's, CD players, etc. I get to sleep in while my husband slips out to the bakery for fresh bakery goods, and I always feel that rather than seeing a country, you get to experience the feeling of living there. Try www.tiscover.at (Austrian Travel Network), or contact the Linz office directly at e-mail touristinfo@linz.at. Ask for ferienwohnung in Linz or within so many kilometres, and ask them for names that will accommodate your family. There are lots, and Austria is still reasonable pricewise. If looking by region, Linz is in "Upper Austria". FYI, we bring a sleeping bag for our son (airlines, even charters, allow one free per person), in case we have to bunk him on a duvet on the floor, or on a sofa, but I think you'll find places in the country will go out of the way to accommodate the kids with pull-outs, camp beds, etc. I'm stuck in Canada this summer working on our cottage, so I envy you. Have a great time!!!

Re: Linz condo/vacation rental

by Torontogal

P.S. For anyone else looking for ferienwohnung, I discovered last time in Germany (we stayed in the Black Forest) that for every one owner who listed on the internet, there were at least 100 who only list through their local chamber of commerce. You really must contact the local tourist office to get access to all of the info. Some people are still not comfortable with having info posted on the internet, plus by staying local the owner can just call the chamber and say, "Don't book my rooms for this week, I'm going away, " etc. Many owners also prefer to have the local office do some "screening" for them, re smoking, pets, ages of children, etc. Having said that, our experiences have exceeded expectations everytime, and often at bargain basement prices!

Re: Re: Linz condo/vacation rental

by dimara

Thanks for the info and the links! The sleeping bag is probably a really good idea - esp. with teens along!

Sure wish we were at the lake. We were up once this summer (mid July) and the temperature never went above 8C during the day. The blueberries froze last week according to those who ventured there last weekend. That's part of the reason I'm planning my escape for next summer...

THanks again ,

Dimara

Re: Re: Linz condo/vacation rental

by Torontogal

Hi Again, Please let me know how it works out. I lived in Europe for two years several years ago, and just took my son and husband back in 2002. Only got to France, Germany and Switzerland, though. In the next few years, I want to continue East through Austria, Czech, Hungary and Poland. Have a great time!!!

Travel Tips for Linz

Chriskindlmarkt (Christmas Markets)

by seamandrew

Every December, in the weeks preceding Christmas day (may even be as early as November), the Hauptplatz in Linz becomes a whole new world on its own. Countless booths are set up and vendors and artists of all trades set up shop to allow the Christmas season to officially start. With this comes the sale of hand made items like Christmas ornaments, decorative figures, and artistic pieces to foods ranging from everyone's Christmas favorites of Lebkuchen (gingerbread), Gluhwein (a hot spiced wine), and many many sweets. Any visitor to Austria has to stop by one of the many Christmas markets through all its cities and towns. However, each is unique in their own right and Linz is no exception. I rank theirs as one of the best in Austria. Be sure to go before Dec 24th. Otherwise, they're closed until the following year!

Postlingberg

by y2ketan2007

Postlingberg is situated on a hill about five kilometres from the heart of Linz.You can visit this place by car or by the historic postlingbergbhan mountain tram.The 'Grottenbhan' cave railway is a must see for children.The 'Dragon Express' runs through the cave and the colourful kingdom of dwarfs.

The Landhaus

by seamandrew

Serving as the seat of Upper Austria's provincial govenor, parliament and government, this Renaissance style structure was constructed between 1564 & 1571. Within the arcaded courtyard is the Planetenbrunnen (Planet Fountain) built in 1582. Unfortunately, we missed it when we stopped by the Landhaus. The reason the Planet Fountain is there is because of the great astronomer Johann Kepler who taught for 14 years in a college once situated at the Landhaus.

Linz, the Resting Place of Anton Bruckner

by mydreamquest

"The Resting Place of Bruckner"

I love Classical Music and happen to love the symphonies of great Austrian composer, Anton Bruckner. On my way to Salzburg, where I was going to actually see a Mozart Opera, Mahler Quartet, and Bruckner Symphony (No 9), in the summer of 2002, I found myself in Linz.

I only spent a few hours here. Driving wise, it's pretty much the half way point driving to Salzburg from Vienna.

There is a church in Linz where Anton Bruckner is resting in a tomb near an organ he apparently used to play. Regrettably, I didn' t have time to visit that.

But in the city center area, there's plenty of nice walking. I liked this church, many like this are throughout the small towns of Austria. I think there is even an unwritten law in Austria where in every city, the highest point is a church.

Welcome to LINZ

by Leipzig

The capital of Oberösterreich (Upper Austria) is an attractive town with a Baroque centre, situated on the banks of the Danube. Having been the original site of a Roman castle and settlement, Linz became and remains the largest port city of the Danube and one of the country's leading cultural centers. The city's beautiful landscape is blended with a bustling industrial and port economy.

During my vacation in south Bavaria I spent one day with a friend in Linz. We just had a few hours to walk around and explore the city highlights. Next time I would like to do a river cruise.

Comments