Best Western Hotel Imlauer

Best Western Hotel Imlauer Altstadt
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• pacific_sol's Profile Photo

Best hotel I've stayed at in Europe (so far)

I stayed at the Hotel Imlauer for two nights in August 2010 and would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers. I was part of a tour group and everything was booked for us, so I did not actually book this hotel. Of all the hotels I've stayed at in Europe (several different cities in Italy, Paris, and Munich), this was probably the closest to an American hotel room that I've ever stayed at up this point in time, and in my opinion, the most comfortable. The room was quite large for a European hotel room, about the average size of an American hotel room. There were two twin beds pushed together, a small desk, TV, lounge chair, and lamp in our room. The bathroom was also pretty large, with lots of counter space and a heated towel drying rack. We were on the 5th floor and we were actually above the building across the street, so we had a pretty nice view of the city. There were mugs and coffee and tea accoutrements on the desk, but you did have to contact reception to get a coffeemaker/tea pot. A big plus was that there was Wi-Fi available in the room. The TV got no more than 20 channels - the only one in English was CNN International. Personally I did find the mattress too soft for me but I still got a good night's sleep during our stay here.

Our breakfast and dinner were also included as part of the price we paid for our tour, and these were in the hotel's Stieglbrau Restaurant. The dinners were three course affairs with soup, entree, and a dessert. Breakfasts were a buffet with a variety of breads, cold cuts, cheeses, sausage and bacon, yogurt, fruit, and assorted pastries. We enjoyed both the breakfasts and dinners here.

The closest attraction to the hotel is the Mirabell Gardens, which are about 2 blocks away to the west. We lucked out on our full day in Salzburg since there was a farmer's market in the church parking lot right across the street from the Mirabell Gardens on the day we were there - I believe that was a Thursday and I don't know if they have it on other days but it ends at 1 PM. If you keep walking further west, you get to the old city center, including the house where Mozart once lived, the Salzach River, and on the other side of the river, the Cathedral of Salzburg and the Festung Hohensalzberg - the castle that once guarded the city. If you ask at reception, they can provide you with a free city map.

Comments