Haus Arenberg

Blumensteinstrasse 8, Salzburg, Salzburg, 5020, Austria
HAUS ARENBERG
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Salzburg

view from the speeding trainview from the speeding train

The ResidenzThe Residenz

Mozart's organMozart's organ

Toy MuseumToy Museum

getriedegasse

by ajo771

I just left Salzburg a few days ago and need some help.

I had gotten my family some clothes from the shops on getriedegasse street, but didn't get the hat I wanted for my son. But after getting home I wish I had bought it. I have searched the web in vain but cant find any of the shops online. I'm looking for a winter/ski hat, its red and white with SALZBURG written on it. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with any of the shops and possibly have them ship one to me?

For anyone who has never been to SAlzburg, what an AWSOME city. I plan to bring my entire family and spend a vacation in Austria. I was absolutely blown away by the beauty.

Re: getriedegasse

by ajo771

Thanks Salzburg, I checked out the website but didnt find what i was looking for. I've checked the phone listings, chamber of commerce business listings, and Salzburg tourism. The store was at the same end and on the same side as Carpe Diem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Travel Tips for Salzburg

A lasting image

by acemj

The domes of Salzburg's Alstadt are one of the most memorable things that I will take away from my time here. If you're lucky enough to be up on the Monchsberg or up at the castle at the right time of day, you'll have the chance to capture some brilliant photos.

In this picture alone, you can see the domes and spires of Kollegienkirche, Franziskanerkirche, Peterskirche and Domkirche.

Beerdrinkers' heaven

by CliffClaven

When beerdrinkers die and go to heaven, they often end up in Munich. But actually, Munich only gets the overspill, since the real beerlovers head straight for Salzburg. The Stiegl brewery has been brewing beer since 1492 - and who knows, America may never have been discovered if they had started just a couple of months earlier. Alas, alas, Stiegl's beerhall halfway up the hill to the fortress operates only during the summer months. You'll just have to slum it in the Sternbräu complex, where the excellence of the beer compensates for the not-very-exciting drinking rooms, or - and this is where the little foretaste of paradise comes in - the Augustinerbräu beerhalls. They are located about a kilometre from the city centre: far enough to work up a thirst but not far enough to put you off going in the first place. Turn off the Müllnerhauptstrasse up an incline and there on the right, easy to miss, is an inconspicuous doorway leading into what looks like the entrance to a museum that has seen better days. But retain all hope ye who enter! (Dante never got a pint for his efforts). Venture through the doors and down the broad stairs, and prepare to wonder. Three cavernous beerhalls surround a central area where the beer is dispensed in litre or half-litre steins from oak casks. Pick a stein, wash it under the fountain, pay at the till and get it filled from one of the barrels. If you are hungry, there is a small parade of kiosks selling the kind of food that central Europeans love to eat with beer: sausages, and not much else. Open every day from 3 to 11, Augustinerbräu is oddly busier in early evening than towards closing time.

Photo : HELLBRUNN

Buil by...

by AliJoe

Photo : HELLBRUNN

Buil by Court architect at the beginning 17th centuries. The spacious parkland, the famous Trick Fountains, the show for cultural events and the zoo ensure that a visit to Hellbrunn will be a truly unforgettable experiance.

Stolpersteine ( Stumbling Blocks )

by nicolaitan

In 1993, German artist Gunter Demnig, a performance artist from Cologne, conceived of a memorial to individual victims of the Holocaust of all religions and political temperament. As of July 2009 over 20000 have been placed in Germany, Austria, and now apparently Hungary as well. Four inch squares of cement are covered with a brass sheet giving the name, date of birth, religion where indicated, concentration camp, and date of death. The millions killed numb the senses, but individualizing the tragedy to individual victims brings home the horror of that period in history. The blocks were first placed in Cologne, but Berlin and Hamburg have the largest number.

Placed in the sidewalks outside the homes of the former occupants, the stones are flush but cause the mind to stumble in memory. Blocks have been placed most frequently for Jews, but others memorialized include the physically and mentally challenged, Gypsy peoples, German resistance members, and Jehovah's Witnesses. The cost of approximately 100Eu is borne by contributions.

There are but three stumbling blocks in Salzburg. These two are located in the old city and as indicate the victims were Jehovah's Witnesses.

I was warned about this before...

by mjmarble

I was warned about this before I went over, but it was still quite a shock when I got to Salzburg (halfway through my journey) and had to pay to use the bathroom for the first time. This is a completely foreign idea to me as an American. The right to use a bathroom ranks up there with Life, Liberty and all that. I think it may have been less of a shock if (a) there had been more than one bathroom in the station and I hadn't had to run what felt like 5 miles to get to it, (b) the woman who was manning it wasn't so rude, (c) I hadn't been sick the night before. I really was still recovering from my brush with death the night before (being sick) and I was in a particularly foul mood. I was lucky we had just stopped by a Bancomat (ATM) otherwise I would not have been able to pay for it. As it was, the attendant was rather indignant at having to find change for the large bill I offered (hey, Bancomats don't give out small denominations). In the end, had it been possible, I think I would have prefered to go right outside the restrooms and made the rude attendant clean it up.

Comments