Goldgasse 17, A, Salzburg, Salzburg, 5020, Austria

More about Salzburg

my train from Salzburgmy train from Salzburg

The ResidenzThe Residenz

frescoesfrescoes

Entry to the funicularEntry to the funicular

Athma in Salzburg

by obaachan

Ooops, I did it again. I should post this question here. I plan to be in Salzburg in the middle of March. It worries me a little since I heard salzburg is hard on athma sufferers. Does anybody have any info or experience?

Re: Athma in Salzburg

by globetrott

I really cannot believe that Salzburg is any worse about that than other cities in Austria or Germany.
BUT maybe it helps for you to know that a single day is enough to explore everything worth seeing (and beeing open) there in wintertime.
Krimmler Waterfalls are in a distance of 3 hours by train in direction of Zell am See and the dust of these highest waterfalls in Austria is definitely a great place to stay for people suffering from Asthma, that si what was proofed by the doctors :

Re: Athma in Salzburg

by obaachan

Thank you for answers. For altitude, I don't think I have to worry. I live at 6600' above sea level. I shall enjoy my visit to Salzburg.

Travel Tips for Salzburg

Take a walk to Hohensalzburg fortress

by Natrix

I recommend to take a walk to Festung Hohensalzburg (there's also a cablecar if you're not into going uphill) to get a glimpse of the beautiful mountains surrounding Salzburg and a nice view of the city!

Sit and absorb the incredible...

by Zmrzlina

Sit and absorb the incredible feeling of history and culture of this wonderful city. There are cave dwellings set into the rocky cliffs above the city (see the photo). I was told monks live there. I want to return and investigate these caves.

I got an email from VT member hdwoernd giving me more details on the caves. This is what he writes...

''I have seen your picture of the caves in top of the
cemetery. They are catacombs of the first christs in Salzburg.
In the 4th Century, there was a roman Castell instead of the current
castle. Some of them have been christs and digged catacombs
down into the earth. They build two little chapels in the rock.

In this century, the 20 metres of rock was breaking apart. Many
people died. After the Earthslide (Rockslide?) the chapels got
visible. After that, people built the walls (like them on the picture)
to close the chapels again. Now you can visit them from the cemetery
from downstairs. It's worth it...''

I suggest you watch The Sound...

by telsoar

I suggest you watch The Sound of Music before you go. It was filmed in Salzburg, and many of the vistas in the movie can be found right in the city. It will all look very familiar! I had very little time in Salzburg, about three days. I chose very specific activities, and to this day believe they were the best: I went to the castle, where you have a view of the entire city. It resides on a hilltop overlooking Salzburg. I went to the Mirabell Gardens. I went to the Dom, an elaborate and beautiful cathedral. And I ventured slightly outside of Salzburg for the best part of all, the Schloss Wasserspiele. And I walked all over town. Located just outside of Salzburg, you can take a bus to the Schloss Wasserspiele. The schlooss contains beautiful frescos and trompe l'oeil. The gardens themselves are worth the visit, with swans idly floating on the little ponds and a lovely orangerie. Then there is the Wasserspiele itself. This garden contains a series of entertaining exhibits that are all run by water. For example, a little playhouse is set up where all the tiny figurines move to enact the play, powered by water.

Beer

by easterntrekker

I'm not a beer drinker at all but beer is a tradition in Austria so I just had to try it . Its very good actually especially on a hot July day . My husband was in his glory as he loves beer anyway. He sampled as many types as he could . Lol There are no shortages of places to try it . Whichever corner you want to stop at

Blasmusik

by globetrott

Watch out for the parades - especially on sundays and special festivities like Easter-Sunday, when I took this picture.
A band in tradtional costumes parading through the city, with great music like the Radetzky-Marsch

Comments