Hotel Brandstatter

More about Salzburg

KapitelplatzKapitelplatz

Hohensalzburg CastleHohensalzburg Castle

the City Hallthe City Hall

Outside the Dom.....Outside the Dom.....

Buses from Salzburg

by kkarthik

can anyone pls suggest if we got any buses from Salzburg to Innsbruck through the scenic routes?

also, have we got buses from Salzburg to vienna?

plus can you suggest any bus website where we can get this info in english? we are looking for the best and cheaper mode of transport

thanx in advance.

by nicolaitan

would also be interested in this information

by leics

There is are several buses from Salzburg to Vienna (Wien) listed on the Eurolines site, which is the portal for most European long-distance bus carriers. All are carrying on to other European cities. Timetables and booking via this link (in English):

There are no buses to Switzerland listed.

by lotharscheer

You could go by lokal Postbuses (part of Oebb, a bit complicated to find timetables) from Salzburg > Lofer > St.Johann > Kitzbuehel...(also to Bad Ischl...) for scenic routes
Cheapest would be Einfach Raus ticket by train (up to 5 people on regional trains for €28, 9 to 3 next day, no need to book ahead)
http://www.oebb.at/pv/de/Guenstiger_Reisen/Gruppen/Einfach-Raus-Ticket/index.jsp (could not find it in english)
Eurobus is a little bit cheaper then the regular trainticket, but not running frequent and only on the motorway

Travel Tips for Salzburg

The Hill Experience

by europebn

Our plan was to climb this mountain, well hill, which was about 2500 feet, and we were told it would take about 2 hours.

I knew it could be a tough climb (for me at least), since I've never climbed anything of this size before. It wasn't an easy beginning, as I quickly realised that I wasn't in as good of shape as I once thought. 'Plug away', I kept reminding myself.

As we climbed, the sun came out and it got a lot warmer, so I unzipped the pant legs to make them shorts, and took off my long sleeve shirt. We had gone a good distance, but nowhere near finished since we saw the observation tower at the peak of the hill quite a bit higher.

Lorne was in good shape, but Siv Pheng and I were not, so the two of us found a 'walking stick' that hopefully would save us some energy. Pathetic, I know. It would also help on the way down for balance.

Finally, only 1h 40min since beginning, we reached the peak! Woo Hoo!! And the scenery around made the climb much more worth it! Fortunately, there was an outdoor bar/cafe, and of course, it was time for a beer (or two)!

While enjoying our beers and watching people paragliding, we noticed clouds coming in from the distance, which was not expected. After our second beer, the clouds were closer and much darker. Oh crap!! (well, I didn't actually say 'crap') Time to go!

It was getting dark quickly and we heard thunder in the distance. Oh double crap!!! Soon it was completely grey and the thunder was cracking and the lightning was flashing. It was only a matter of time before we were drenched. We were still more than half way up the hill!

Our pace picked up and soon we were actually jogging down the hill. We decided to RUN down the hill, almost full speed, trying not to trip over the rain soaked ground and rocks that stick out from nowhere. Siv Pheng almost did if his hand didn't stop him, and I almost twisted an ankle.

Completely soaked from head to toe, we made it to the main road, and saw the bus coming a minute later. Phew!

Don't just look through windows...

by WrigleyTodd

Don't just look through windows... take pictures through windows. In the fortress you'll find plenty of windows to look through, but don't stop there. Snap some great photos that will be great for enlarging and framing when you return home.

Oldest bakery

by mvtouring

When you wander around St Peters look out for the oldest bakery in Salzburg and pop in there. The smell of the freshly baked bread will in any case call your nose to come closer for further inspection.

Winter Warmer

by Vintom

When you stroll around the main market square of old Salzburg at night durung the winter months, why not do as the locals do and enjoy a hot cup of alcholic fruit punch or gluhwein. Just the thing to warm you up and a great thing to do if you fancy stopping to mix with the locals or just stand and watch the world go by.

Pack a Sweater

by XKuger

I always prefer roll on luggage as it is most convenient luggage to travel around in Europe where you walk to your hotel to and from public transport and also all the airports are well connected to public transport. If visting Salzburg most defintly pack a Sweater / jacket in any season. The reason for this is the Salzburg is located on the the river that flows thru town.... the cold drift from the river really cools the town and you can get cold by the evening. Usual necessities that you would carry on any trip. Salzburg is perfectly safe and you can carry all the equipment that you own with absolutely no isses.

Comments