Hotel Goldener Hirsch

Hotel Goldener Hirsch, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Salzburg
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 62% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Luxury in the heart of the old town.

Our stay at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch was terrific. This charming hotel is located in the heart of the old town and provides an old world luxury that's hard to find. Our room (15) was located in the front of the hotel over-looking the pedestrian street. The room was large, very comfortable and spotlessly clean, including the bathroom. A nice place to come home to after touring all day.

While the room was very nice, equally important and equally impressive was the staff. Every person we came in contact with was friendly and very helpful. The desk staff was especially helpful when it came to dinner reservations, maps and suggestions on things to see.

Breakfast at the hotel was very good, but I thought it was perhaps a bit expensive. The lounge was comfortable and a good place to relax with a glass of wine in the evening.

Overall, I would not hesitate recommending the Hotel Goldener Hirsch and would definitely stay there again.

Unique Quality: The Restaurant Goldener Hirsch is a top of the line restaurant that is located in the hotel. Gourmet meals without having to leave the hotel - nice.

• breakfast rip off

We got a good rate through an internet hotel seller, but the rate quoted did not include breakfast which is a bit unusual. They tagged us with 50 euro for 2 mediocre buffet fruehstucks plus 5 e for coffee.
    Otherwise, the hotel has a great location, but like most of Austria, revels in mediocrity. Avoid it.

• Cherie_J's Profile Photo

A 5-Star Mockery!

Disappointing. Imagine...being in Salzburg during the Music Festival....and your conceirge desk doesn't have the time to arrange some tickets....but do they tell you? No!

More about Hotel Goldener Hirsch

Wonderful location/Excellent Hotel

I was with a group of 6 American couples who stayed at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg, Austria in March 2006. The hotel has the charm of the Austrian culture and is kept spotlessly clean. Our rooms were generous sized and the baths very large and well equipt. One of the most important aspects of this hotel is its superior location which allowed touring and shopping at will and within easy walks to all sites of interest. We never had to take a cab.
We asked for and got smoke free rooms. The breakfast buffet is a little expensive, although quite good; but a lot of food offered. Often, we just got coffee and a roll at a local eatery. The hotel food is excellent. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler, even though it is a little expensive.

Wonderful Hotel

With my family of 5 we just visited Salzburg and stayed at the golden Hirsch. It was wonderful. Old world elegance with traditional Austrian decor. everybody loved it.

My favorite hotel on our European Vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member newtrekkie

On a recent trip to Europe with my parents, we stayed at the Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg -- I would recommend this hotel to anyone for the charm, location, and amazingly friendly service. Out of the four luxury hotels we stayed at on our trip, this by far outranked them all. The rooms are nice, clean, & spacious (for Austria), and the bathrooms are wonderfully large. The restaurants downstairs also provide excellent food and service. For a perfect Salzburg experience, this is the hotel to choose!

Fairy tale location, comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Allen727286

Overall, the Goldener Hirsh was outstanding. Located in the old city, the 600 year old hotel is convenient to the entire Salzburg experience. Our room had an adequate bed area and an extremely large bathroom, but we didn't spend much time there. Most of the staff were very responsive and made most everything quite easy. An afternoon desk manager was cold one day, but quite warm the next. Hard to know why, but everyone else was very accomadating.
The high end restaurant is quite famous, but was just OK for us.
We would look forward to staying there again.

Delighted

by TripAdvisor Member Kuppy

I read the note from the gentlmen who thought this hotel was awful. My wife and I stayed in early October of this year and had a splendid stay. The staff at the desk could not have been more delightful. I would agree that it is stretching a bit when you compare it to the Vienna Starwood Properties but it is a totally different type of Hotel. Old world charm. Great location. Maybe it is not a 5 star such as a Imperial or a Ritz but in its own way it is very nice and peaceful. His impression about the city of Salzburg is really off base. This is a wonderful city with great history and beauty. You can not compare a city the size of Vienna to Salzburg. Walk the streets and enjoy the history and rent a car and travel a short distance to the lake region. Just a bit of Magic. A must stay city!

Traveler

awesome

Just spent 3 nights in one of the best hotels visited. From the decor in the suite-so olde world i nearly went out and bought lederhosen just to fit in-to the friendly staff and overall excellence of the hotel, everything was perfect. You walk out of the huge front door and straight into the pedestrianised shopping streets with all the ironwork, statues, historical buildings, places of interest and restaurants within walking distance. If castles are your thing leave a good few hours to wander freely around the fortress (clearly seen from our bedroom window)- its well worth a visit.
I would recomend Salzberg and the hotel to anybody looking for an excellent base to enjoy a weekend break.
Reasons to stay at the Goldener Hirsch:
Rooms-size-decor-facilities
Views
Friendly staff
Good rates
Fantastic location
unable to compare to other hotels-so different

Luxurious boutique hotel with unsurpassed Austrian character

by TripAdvisor Member AndreyBY

I spent 3 days with my wife in late December before I went for skiing in the Austrian Alps.

This is a fantastic boutique hotel in the heart of Salzburg. I believe staying there is a must, especially for the first time visitors to Salzburg.

The hotel is 500 years old and of course this is noticeable (low ceilings, small public areas). But the rooms are very spacious, at least those in the Festival Wing (highly recommended). The rooms are designed in old style with antique (medieval-looking) furniture which really impressed me. At the same time, the room is very functonal and comfortable (even for a business traveller). The bathroom is very large as well.

This is a full service hotel with 24 hours room service and two restaurants (I liked the main restaurant very much).

The hotel is located in the main street of the pedestrian zone and everything is within the walking distance.

I will repeat same thing other reviewers said: do not expect this hotel to be the same as Imperial in Vienna (which is also quite unique). This one is a boutique and also provides a different type of luxury (it's a medieval house rather than palace). Also the price is different: I got the room for Euro 250.

I definitely prefer this hotel to the larger Sacher or Sheraton located on the other bank of the river. I wish Starwood opened Goldener Hirsch type of hotels in the Alps, as my next hotel in the Alps was disappointment.

very romantic and charming hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member sabeno

My Fiance and I just returned from Salzburg and a wonderful stay and the Goldener Hirsch Hotel.I liked that the hotel had a little charm and isnt like every other starwood hotel out there. This is what made it unique for me. It was cozy and romantic and the staff was more than attentive and helpful. The rooms were spacious as was the bathroom. I feel sorry for the folks who wrote bad reviews on this place, obviously, they must lack some charm themselves if they would rather stay at the cookie cutter hotels of the world. and, to discredit a negative review of Salzburg, it is a charming and cute town, yes, a little touristy, but quite beautiful. I definitely recommend spending at least a couple days here.

Ballroom dancing in September

by abrazong

My husband and I will be vacationing in Salzburg in September and we are looking for a nice place to go Ballroom dancing; also looking for a nice restaurant for our 25th wedding anniversary. Would anyone have ideas?

Re: Ballroom dancing in September

by EvaLuna67

Peterskeller at St. Peter's Abbey is Europe's oldest restaurant. Also if you are looking for great venue I recommend the restaurant at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch, which is in the city center and amazing also the restaurant at the Hotel Altstadt Radisson Hotel is great as well as the restaurant 'Alt Salzburg".

According to a friend from Salzburg, this is the ballroom dance place:
http://www.tanzschule-seifert.at/index2.htm I suggest to make a reservation.

There is also great information on what to do in Salzburg on: www.austria.info

Have fun and Happy anniversary.

Re: Ballroom dancing in September

by jburks1

Hotel Stein, there is a restaurant at the top of the hotel. It has a great panoramic view of the city and fortress. Look for it online at its www address.

Comments