Rosen-Hotel Salzburg

Strubergasse 1, Salzburg, Salzburg, 5020, Austria

More about Salzburg

the side of the castlethe side of the castle

Mozart HausMozart Haus

the cupolathe cupola

Entry from streetEntry from street

Salzburg late August

by bk5545

A friend and I are currently planning a two week trip to Europe in August 2010. Our current itinerary is putting us in Salzburg for two days (Friday the 27th and Saturday the 28th).

After some frustration finding available rooms, and high prices on those we did find, we have discovered we are hitting town at the end of the Salzburg Festival.

Is this a time to avoid Salzburg altogether if we are not interested in the Festival itself? I would hate to miss Salzburg as we will be in the area any way.

Any thoughts?

by Maryimelda

I have just checked on www.bookings.com and there are still vacancies for twin or double rooms at the Hotel Vogelveiderhof at 98 euro per night including breakfast. If you check out my Salzburg page you will see a tip I have written for this hotel. It really is an excellent and budget priced alternative to staying right in the pedestrian mall in the old town. On my last trip I stayed at the Hotel Weisse Taube in the centre and it was more expensive, but fabulous as well. The Vogelvweiderhof is about a ten minute bus trip from the city centre. The bus stops is almost outside the door of the hotel. There is also a great beer garden right next door. Please check out my tip and don't exclude Salzburg from your itinerary. It is a fantastic place. So good in fact, that I just had to go back a second time and I daresay I will be back there again before too long. Enjoy your trip!

by Durfun

Also check Marcus Siticus, via www.hotels.com.

Good location, fair prices.

by christine.j

Don't miss Salzburg because of the festival. We stayed in Bayerisch Gmain, just on the German side of the border, but within the Salzburg bus area. In fact I walked to Austria each morning to get our breakfast rolls there.
We had an apartment, I'm not sure,though, if you can rent one for two days in high season.
But it's worth checking out. There are also hotels, of course.
This was our apartment:

and this is the general page for accomodation:

by bk5545

Thank you for the tips every one! I certainly don't want to miss Salzburg. I have been there once before, but it was only for one day, and I know we barely scratched the surface.

I will check out your specific recommendations for hotels.

Travel Tips for Salzburg

Mirabell Gardens - Worth The Time

by bryanhaynes

We were three blocks from Mirabell Gardens and walked by them a half a dozen times without realizing what it was. On our last day, we discovered them about 20 minutes before our bus was to leave for a tour we took to Berchdesgaden. We only got to spend about 10 minutes in the Gardens, and it was raining, but it was still beautiful.

visit the Untersburg. It is...

by Erdinger99

visit the Untersburg. It is located just outside of Salzburg aside the small town of St. Leonhard. You can take a lift up top or you can hike (approx. 6 hours). From the top you get a beautiful view of Salzburg and the surrounding villages. Salzburg at night. It looks so beautiful with the Salzach River and the buildings lit up.

see the Mozartplatz (Mozart...

by Fam_Stoica

see the Mozartplatz (Mozart Square). The square is dominated by the statue of Mozart by Ludwig Schwanthaler, ceremoniously unveiled on September 5, 1842 in the presence of Mozart's sons. Mozart's widow, Constanze von Nissen, did not live to see the unveiling. She died on March 6th of the same year in the house at Mozartplatz 8. A plaque was placed on the house in her memory.

Schloß Hellbrunn and the water gardens

by globetrott

Schloß Hellbrunn is an absolute MUST !

It is about 6 Km south of the City centre of Salzburg.
The the local bus in order to get there, or go with your own car - they have a big parking directely at Schloss Hellbrunn.

. Visit the famous water-gardens - a unique garden with hidden fountains at many places - a good chance to refresh on a hot summer-day...
BUT when you stay with the guide, you may see, when-ever he turns on the water at hidden places.

Play Chess?

by german_eagle

Have a short break from sightseeing and watch the chess players next to the cathedral! Or play yourself! This chess board is to find on Kapitelplatz square. I didn't watch for long (had to see some more churches, lol).

Comments