Youth & Family Guesthouse

Josef-Preis-Allee 18, Salzburg, A-5020, Austria
HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Salzburg

the golden arches, old style!the golden arches, old style!

Stiegl BiegartenStiegl Biegarten

detailsdetails

a fiaker in front of St Michael'sa fiaker in front of St Michael's

Please help me plan

by fwfrog

I've been able to carve out two short days to visit the Salzburg area. Will be traveling with two daughers (ages 12 and 14 but terrific travlers and very interested in History). Can you give me some advice on the best way to do this given our short duration?

So far, here's the list of sites that I've come up with:

Eagles Nest
Ice Caves
Salt Mine
Konigsee
Documentation Center at Obersalzberg and the Bunkers

Here are my questions:

1. is there anything I should add or delete from my list?

2. Should we hire a private guide for all or for part of this tour? We will have a car and don't mind driving. In other words, are some of these sites just as good on your own? Are there some sites that a guide would add much to the experience.

3. It seems that much of what we will see is outside of Salzbug but we would also like to enjoy Salzburg a bit. Is it best to stay in Salzburg and then travel out for the day? Is parking, etc., a hassle? Alternative, would it be easier to say outside of Salzburg (Berchtesgaden?)and then ride into Salzburg? Where?

4. Does anyone have a private guide or tour company recommendations?

5. I'll take (and very much appreciate) any other tips or suggestions anyone has.

Thank you.

Sandy

by GrumpyDiver

If you are at the Ice Caves you should have a look at Burg Hohenwerfen as they are very close together. We lucked out and were there on one of the days that they did a falconry exhibition in period costume - it was great.

If you do go to the ice caves, make sure you take warm and windproof clothing - it's darn cold and windy in the caves.

Lustschloss (Pleasure Palace) Hellbrunn was our absolute favourite (water features that display a wicked sense of humour). Your girls will love this one - both of my daughters certainly did. The Prince-Bishop had a wicked sense of humour!

In Salzburg itself, visit the old town and fortress.

by chrisbilal

In the city, I really enjoyed the Mozarthaus. Most of the old city can be walked around in a day - it's not very big.

by Kathrin_E

Let me add Salzburg castle to the list.

by royalempress

I agree! Schloss Hellbrunn shouldn't be missed. While lodging in Salzburg is expensive and parking difficult I would try to stay in town. Lots to do all within walking distance.

For something to see in-town add Mozarts house and the world famous Marionette Show.

by fwfrog

Thanks!! So many suggestions so quickly!

I think I'm getting a pretty good list of sites. (Would love even more suggestions and tips on these!) So, for my list outside Salzburg, should we hire a private guide or is that really not necessary or beneficial.

by GrumpyDiver

A guide for Europe? Don't bother, a guide will just cramp your style.

by margsch

It is a pity you only have 2 days as there is a lot to see in the Salzburg area, I have stayed at a family run Hotel in the suburbs called Gasthof Doktorwirt, there is ample parking there for guests and the town buses run from very nearby. Parking in the city centre is not easy and people tend to use Park-and-ride arrangements.
2 places I liked very much were Hallstatt and the Wolfgangsee but each of these deserves a full day.

by jojes

Such a pity you don't have more time to spend there, so much more to see !
But, for what it's worth, here are my favorites (after bening to Salzburgerland for 14 times so far) :
* the old city of Salzburg with Festung Hohensalzburg : have to say I like Mozart Wohnhaus better than Mozart Geburzhaus
* Wasserspiele Hellbrunn
* Schloss Hohenwerfen : they have the above mentioned the falconry exhibition every day during summer, 2 to 3 times a day (depends on beginning/middle/end of season)

Don't bother hiring a guide, a good guidebook will do the trick just as well and you can really go at your own pace.

Have fun !
Jessika

Travel Tips for Salzburg

Heavy artillery trained on invading armies ?

by hundwalder

This very well preserved cannon and thee others just like it remain aimed out of the portals of Hohensalzburg's Katze bastion. The heavy cast iron portal doors remain open these days. The bastion and its artillery were added during the 30 years war of the mid 1600's. ( yes, this ancient artillery is authentic and not a modern day duplication ). The cannons were not installed to defend the prince archbishop and the other idle elite from the invading Austro-Hungarian army, but against the rightfully angry had most shamefully abused citizens of Salzburg. You will notice that the cannons are aimed not at the sorrounding countryside from which enemy armies would have invaded, but are aimed directly at altstadt Salzburg. The cannons have long since fired their last volleys at the good citizens of Salzburg. Our ancestors suffered greatly in slowly gaining the freedom, liberties, and prosperity that we enjoy today. This is my tribute to the real heroes and champions of centuries gone by.

see the Cathedral, the most...

by Gillianina

see the Cathedral, the most important church of the city. The cathedral was built , as it is today, after the fire that in 1598 had destroyed the one that existed before, between 1614 and 1628.
eating very fat food in one of the typical restaurants with my school mates :)

Salzach River

by JUNLI

Salzach River
This river splits the whole city into two portions. The old town, on the south bank of the river, is a Baroque masterpiece of churches, plazas, courtyards and fountains, oozing so much charm.

Hiking on the Kapuzinerberg

by randm1

One of the things I miss the most now that I'm back in the states is taking afternoon hikes along the Kapuzinerburg. It's not very big, but pretty, with lots of isolated scenic spots.
Shown pictured is duck 339 (www.ifoundaduck.com) enjoying the view from the Kapuzinerberg.

Great beer

by acemj

You can get great beer all over Austria, but Salzburg is the home of the most popular brand, Stiegl. Most of the beers around Salzburg are lager-style and of a good quality. This photo shows me cleaning out a ceramic mug at the well-known Augustiner Brau, which, in my opinion, is the best beer experience in Salzburg (see my restaurant tips for more details).

Comments