Winkl 19, Sankt Gilgen, 5340, Austria
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Sankt Gilgen

Cable carsCable cars

Beautiful weather, water and mountains!Beautiful weather, water and mountains!

Mashed Potato with Horse radishMashed Potato with Horse radish

View on St. Gilgen from 12erhornView on St. Gilgen from 12erhorn

Travel Tips for Sankt Gilgen

Great day to see this place

by acemj

Michael (VTer globetrott) and I picked a great day to visit Sankt Gilgen. The weather was warm and sunny and there were no crowds at all. The town welcomed us with a relaxed atmosphere complete with flower boxes in windows, fountains and an amazing combination of mountain and lakeside setting.

Paragliding from Zwoelferhorn

by globetrott

Paragliding is a quite popular sport in Sankt Gilgen, and most of them will fly down from Zwoelferhorn, where a small cablecar gets you uphill within about 20 minutes. Be prepared to land eventually in the water, depending on you own skills and maybe some unexpected winds...

Skiing on Zwoelferhorn

by globetrott

Skiing and snowboarding is also a very popular sport in Sankt Gilgen.

The cablecar will take you up to a hight of 1522 meters within 20 minutes and going downhill with your skis is certainly a great experience in such a beautiful surrounding. the equipment may be rented in town !

MY ONE AND ONLY AUSTRIAN DISCOVERY

by Pinat

"SUCH A PICTURESQUE VILLAGE"

St. Gilgen was the first village/town for me in three aspects. First, it was the place where I finally met one of my penfriends, Carmen after more than 10 years of writing. I was so excited before I got there. Second, I was going there from Munich and it was the first (and remains only) Austrian town I'd see. I was sure to notice the border but I couldn't:) Lastly, it was the first picturesque town I'd seen in my life. It was later on I've been to places like Bled or Montreux but St. Gilgen is the first:)

I haven't been to Austria since my visit to St. Gilgen in 2005 but I'm dying to go back and hope to do it for the pre-EuroMeet in 2010.

I just spent a weekend there and honestly I spent most of time talking with Carmen but still Carmen and her father were so kind to show me around. Now, I'll try to share what I captured.

Beeing in Sankt Gilgen

by Laurike

Nice, like all small towns in Austria.. This town has natural lake and this is the beauty of it ! Very nice streets and interesting signs in it !
I do not know what these words mean in picture, but i understood it like not to go to toilet in that place !
How do you understand ?