Claudia

Alpenpension Claudia
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Ellmau

Mariä-Heimsuchungs Kapelle in EllmauMariƤ-Heimsuchungs Kapelle in Ellmau

Sun up on the last daySun up on the last day

woodstockwoodstock

Salzburg airportSalzburg airport

Travel Tips for Ellmau

The welcome water fountains

by scottishvisitor

The water fountains can be found around the village in various locations. The weather was hot when we visited and the little fountains became my best friend as well as my saving grace!! Locals and tourists alike stopped often to cool off, fill up an empty water bottle with ice cold fresh water, let the dogs have a drink and in my case dip my hat into the water and bring myself some welcome relief from the soaring temperatures. As well as being practical the water fountains were very decorative and pretty providing a good place to sit and chat. There is a saying "Water is the staff of life" in my case how true!!

Gruttenhutte Hike

by sandysmith

A hike to the Gruttenhutte was a major reason for our return to Ellmau. We nearly reached it on our first visit and it had always bugged me that I hadn't been able to reach it due to time constraints.

The classic route to the Gruttenhutte is: Ellmau (800m) - Wochenbrunner Alm (1085m) - Gaudeamushutte (1267m) -Gruttenhutte (1619m) and then return by Riedlhutte (1200m) - Riesen (951m) - Ellmau (800m). Allow a good 7 hours for the round hike.

Well we did make it on our next visit :-)) please see the travelogue for info. Good hiking boots essential and proper mountain equipment if klettersteig route is taken. If staying overnight at the Hutte (open June- October) reservations are essential as its popular with climbers.

Hintersteineresee

by sandysmith

Hintersteineresee is one of the most beautiful mountain lakes in the Tyrol. The lake measures some 56 hectares and is up to 36 m deep, the crystal clear waters of this lake make it popular for bathing and reflection picture hunting opportunities for me!
Hope to get a better pic of this soon)

Parish Church

by sandysmith

Pfarrkirche "Zum Hl. Michael" Ellmau's parish church was built by Jakob Singer from Schwaz between 1740 and 1746. The church was consecrated by the bishop of Chiemsee, Franz Karl, on August 21, 1746. A porch was added to the doorway in 1987/88 when the church was completely renovated.

AT THE FOOT OF THE GREAT WILDER KAISER

by scottishvisitor

"The Little Village of Ellmau"

After a long school term the summer break finally arrived. I don't always plan where to go so Ellmau was neither planned nor researched. I'm so glad I ended up here in this Tyrolian Gem. We came to relax but there was so much to see and discover - the two books I had brought with me remained unread, the weather was perfect - one thing I had done before coming here was check the weather forcast - it wasn't good news. Packed for all eventualities we arrived in Austria, one of the waiters in a restaurant here said "Welcome to Africa" yes it was hot but my new motto is always take the weather with you :) too bad I couldn't bring it back home with me.

Comments