Am Sachsengang Hotel

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Rated 22% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Vienna

Lavazza Caffebarwien (2010)Lavazza Caffebarwien (2010)

5-star soup!5-star soup!

Otto-Wagner-Pavillion, Vienna, ATOtto-Wagner-Pavillion, Vienna, AT

Wiener Minoritenkirche, Vienna, ATWiener Minoritenkirche, Vienna, AT

Validating the Vienna card

by Mahta

How do you validate your 3 day Vienna card ticket before you use it?

by leics

You'll get instructions for use with the card. But, basically, you put it into the blue validation machine the first time you use it and it will be date-stamped.

Buses and Sbahn have the machines inside. They are at the Ubahn entrances.

There's a picture on this info page:

by globetrott

this card is a combination of transport-ticket and a ticket for a bit of reductions in museums etc.
I am sure it is also possible to validate them in such a museum, that is giving a discount !
b.t.w. for most of the tourists the Viennacard does not make a lot of sense, because the most popular museums dont give a discount at all for it,or maybe just 70 cents here and 50 cents there, and only museums like jewish museum and tram-museum are totally free with it.

by Roadquill

I saved a few euro at the Kunstmuseum..I paid the 18 euro for the 3 day pass and got great use of it. (Even though some evil Vienna resident took us to Brastislava for a day ;-) ). But I tend to use a lot of buses, metros and trams and visit 4-5 museums a day when I explore a city. Karl

by globetrott

yes, unfortunately there are some evil Vienna residents around, so beware ! ;-)

Travel Tips for Vienna

Free water!

by Dabs

It was HOT while we were in Vienna and we saw the coolest thing near St. Stephens, a water dispenser with free water encouraging people to drink more water. It saved us from buying another bottle of water from the grocery store so it's good for the environment too! It might have just been put there for the Euro 2008 football matches that were going on during our visit but hopefully they are permanent.

Though there are numerous...

by richiecdisc

Though there are numerous sights in Vienna, I would have to say a visit to Schonbrunn Palace is the single most important of the lot. It is a majestic piece of Baroque architecture that is among the most impressive in Europe and best of all, the setting is equally enthralling. It was our inaugural trip around Europe and we had become well versed at finding rooms and then getting to them via mass transit. We had been backpacking for over a month at this point and Vienna was just one more city on the typical sophomore tour of the “main” sights of Europe. But it was another night of sleeping on the train as we arrived in Vienna from Munich. Tired from the ride, using the local phone was it’s usual obstacle. No matter how much I travel, this is one of the things that give me the most frustration. I did get our eventual host on the phone but his English was not great and got seemingly haphazard directions to his place. We were using a Frommer’s Guide and they were far better in those days than what I’ve seen today. He always had a section of private dwellings that rented rooms in their houses at the back of his chapters and we had used them extensively. Not only were they cheap, they also were a great way of meeting some locals and seeing how they lived. The man in Vienna was a retired police officer and off to his house we trudged with our backpacks seeming heavier than the day before. It always seems someone sneaks rocks in them on the train! On our arrival, I went up the steps to greet the old gentlemen as I had done on most occasions to save the effort for Kristin, the rooms often being on the lower floors. The welcoming old man, shook my hand vigorously and looking down at Kristin, told me to have my brother come on up and say hello. She had gotten a very short haircut to make traveling easier and he had mistaken her for a boy, my younger brother. We sat around with him as he poured welcoming shots of schnapps, even at this early hour of the morning; there was no refusing him. See travelogue to see the 'do I actually thought was cute.

Some Statues

by tiabunna

As might be expected, Vienna has more than its share of statues: although we saw many, those were only a relative few. Tempting as it was to write a tip for each, I am including several in this “General” tip – and they all count as “a few of my favourite things”.

This tip’s heading photo very nearly became my Vienna page header, as I think it just typifies Vienna so well. It shows the Providentia (Providence) statue at the Neuer Markt – she’s the godess sitting on the central pedestal. Around her are four sculptures, signifying the main rivers feeding into the Danube. Apparently the Empress Maria Theresa disliked it (in best Victorian style, because of nudity) and had it removed for some years.

What the wowserish Empress thought of the statues on the corners of her own winter palace (the Hofburg) one must wonder, (photos 2,3) because they appear to me to also show substantially unclothed people! Maybe when she arrived and left home, she was too busy waving to her adoring subjects! I gather the first of these is something to do with Austria (the young lady) overcoming the waves, and the second is something to do with military prowess.

Finally, in the Maria Theresa Park between the Kunsthistorisches Museum and Naturhistorisches Museum, there is a substantial statue of the Empress Maria Theresa herself. It’s not something you’d miss seeing if you visit one of the Museums – but then again, Maria Theresa had a very significant part in the history of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Imperial City - Dress & Play nice

by Packerman

Vienna has so many sophisticated places to go, the Burgtheater, the Staatsoper, the Spanische Reitschule, the Kunsthistorische Museum, the Belvedere, the Hofburg, Parlament, and the Theater an der Wien. It is truly a "cultural" city. If you plan on attending some of these make sure to bring the appropriate clothing. You definately want to make sure to dress nice when visiting Vienna. You can bring children and still have some fun in Vienna, but this is one city where the opportunities increase dramatically without the kids.

The first place we headed for...

by steventilly

The first place we headed for was the Rathaus (see below) and to get there we had to pass through the Volksgarten. This was a pleasant, shady place on such a hot day, and across the road in the Rathauspark there were stalls selling food and beer. The food looked very tempting and there was a wide range of different cultural cooking, but unlucky for us, no vegetarian. This pic is in Rathauspark, looking back towards the National Theatre.

Comments