Atel Congress

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 24% less but rated 18% lower than other 3 star hotels

• ritashor's Profile Photo

The only thing that was very good was breakfast

Spent 4 night here,paid 158Euro breakfast included. Room for one is small with the window almost impossible to open because it's blocked by the head board of the bed, there's a tinny and old TV with Austrian channels and CNN , there's also a mini fridge, the room has no ventilation because you can't even open the window. Bathroom is tinny with 1 piece if soap and 1piece of shampoo. Flashing the toilet was tricky because water pressure is awful. Don't try to wash your hair you won't be able to wash the shampoo off, in the shower feels like the water goes everywhere but not on you, heater in the bathroom didn't work so it was a bit cold to get out from the tinny shower. Staff is ok, didn't ask them anything so can't sat if they're helpful or not.
    Hotel is close to the metro station and just across the road from the new train station Hauptbahnhof. The neighborhood is ok though as a single woman traveler I didn't feel completely safe going alone there after dark. There are no restaurants or shops near the hotel.
    The only thing that was very good was breakfast with a lot of choice so that was a good way to start the day but after sightseeing for the whole day the thought of going back to the room in this hotel was depressing.
    Overall I guess I got what I paid for and didn't expect much but that hotel was way bellow any basic expectations.
    Will not stay here again, my advise is pay more but go to a basic but nice hotel near city center.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Hotel, close to Sudbahnhof

I spent my first 4 nights in Vienna at the Hotel Birg-Cyrus. But after leaving Vienna for a few days in the Hungarian town of Sopron, I decided to find a hotel as close as possible to Sudbahnhof for my last 2 nights in Vienna. The reason for this is that I had 2 early starts planned (firstly in order to get an early morning train to Bratislava for the day, and secondly to get a bus to the airport for my flight back to the UK on my final day). The Hotel Congress, being located just a few minutes walk from Sudbahnhof and Sudtirolerplatz bus station, was thus ideally located.

Of the two hotels, I rated the Hotel Birg-Cyrus more than this hotel - and I also paid significantly less at the Hotel Birg-Cyrus.

At the Hotel Congress I paid 58 Euros for an en-suite single room with breakfast, compared to an average rate of 43 Euros per night at the Birg-Cyrus (admittedly, without breakfast).

The room was good and was clean and spacious. There were 2 beds in the room, satellite TV, a telephone and adequate wardrobe space. The en-suite bathroom was clean and was well supplied with toileteries and with fresh towels each day. There was considerable traffic noise all night in my room which overlooked the very busy Wiedner Gurtel dual carriageway.

The breakfast was also very good - a choice of omelette, fried bacon, various cereals, yoghurts, bread, cold meat cuts, cheeses, coffee, tea and fruit juice. The waitresses were friendly when serving the coffee, while the rest of the breakfast was all-you-can-eat buffet style.

Unique Quality: But this is the reason I won't rate this hotel higher than 2 / 5:

After turning the TV on in my room, the volume was on mute. A notice said that I should obtain a remote control from reception. After spending the afternoon sightseeing, I asked for a remote control after arriving back at reception. The sulky man on the night shift gave me one (held together with sticky tape) - but told me it was unlikely to work. I tried it...and he was right, it didn't work! I trudged down to reception and asked if he had a spare. He shook his head and muttered "no" in a tone that I took to be abrupt. "Surely you have a spare, from a room that isn't being occupied?". "There aren't any more", he replied, again abruptly. "But this one doesn't work and there is no volume button on my TV set - I can't hear anything. What use is that?". "It's not my problem", he replied, "nothing I can do". After I told him that I'd paid a lot of money for the room and the least I expected was a functioning remote control, he reluctantly rummaged through a drawer in his desk and gave me a spare. It didn't work either. But by this point I was past caring! I can live without a remote control, but I will not accept inpolite service!!

In fairness, all my encounters with the other staff were friendly and the hotel was generally ok - but I feel that I would be doing a dis-service to other hotels of a similar standard that I have rated as 3 / 5 if I allowed this one to be rated as highly as them. So 2 it is!

If I ever return to Vienna, there is no doubt that I would book at the Hotel Birg-Cyrus instead of this hotel!

Directions: Opposite Sudtirolerplatz bus station - across a busy dual carriageway.
    A 5 minute walk to Sudbahnhof.

Comments