Austria Trend Hotel Albatros

Stephansdom, Vienna, ATStephansdom, Vienna, AT

Schottenkirche, Vienna, ATSchottenkirche, Vienna, AT

Spittelberg area, Vienna

by Sojna

Hello! I am just about to book a hotel for our summer holidays in Vienna and I was wondering, what do you think of the Spittelberg area? I know it is conveniently close to the city center, but is it nice and safe to walk around at late evening, or night? (I have to take this under consideration, since I will be travelling alone with my 7 years old daughter). My second choise would be the Hietzing area. What do you think?
(I have to say, by the way, that you dearest VTs made it possible for us to have the most beautiful holidays in Munchen and Bavarian Alps. We could never thank you enough for this!)

by lotharscheer

Spittelberg aerea is full of little artshops and restaurants, and is quite safe. Hitzing is safe as well, but for most things you spend more time on transportation.

by globetrott

and I would like to add that there is mostly cobbled stones in the streets there and it looks very pittoresque.
Regarding the safety, I am sure that both places will be safe , BUT in Hietzing it might happen that you are walking totally alone in some streets, while in Spittelberg there will always be some other people there as well.

by daol

stay at spittelberg, it will be much more convenient for you. you can walk into the city and you do not have to take the U4 underground to reach it. In the mornings and evenings it is always packed! Nice restaurants in the area try "I Carusi" Italian restaurant...u will love the pizza

by EvaLuna67

The Spittelberg area is my favorite for a number of reasons: 1) you are very close to the 1st district, where most attractions are; 2) The MuseumsQuartier (the largest exhibitions space with amazing restaurants) is very close; 3) the area itself is very charming (it used to be the red-light district -- way back in the days); 4) it offers a great amount of restaurants ...... do I need to say more. Last time I stayed at the Hotel Alstadt - right in the Spittelberg area it is soooo incredably charming.
The area is safe and within walking distance to the first district - Hitzing is a very green district - close to Schoenbrunn Palace. I would prefer Spittelberg to Hitzing. On our Facebook page www.facebook.com/austriatravelinfo you can find information from fellow travelers - if you have more questions.

Travel Tips for Vienna

The Best Web Page on Austria

by y2ketan2007

All the information about Vienna and any other place in Austria can be downloaded from
www.travel2austria.com

This the best site I've found on the web on villages and cities in Austria and contains hundreds of pictures.Make sure that you see this web site before you plan your trip to this most amazing country.

visit the magnificent ...

by Krystynn

visit the magnificent Schönbrunn Palace.

Here's a historical account of how this palatial palace came into being. Thanks (or, no thanks??) to Emperor Leopold 1, Ruler of the then Austro-Hungarian Empire and the grandiosity of his vision, he actually commanded the great Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, the greatest architect of the Baroque era, to design a palace larger than Versailles. But fortunately for the Austrian Treasury, the Emperor balked when the architect's estimate costs came in and the Habsburg Family then settled for a more MODEST dwelling abode with ONLY 1,441 rooms!! Ahem. :-)

Well, when Empress Maria-Theresia ascended to the throne sometime in the mid-1700s (can't remember the exact date... sorry!), she had Schönbrunn Palace expanded and redecorated in French Rococo style over a half decade period. Today, the restored palace is the pride and joy of Austria and a National Monument. This palace is also an apartment house for a number of lucky Viennese. Oh, how I envy them!

Photo Below: The beautiful Schönbrunn Park. Take the Metro/ subway (U4) .... but DO NOT get off the train until you reach the station called 'Hietzing'. I was told that this is the much nicer side for here you can enter the extensive gardens through the charming 'Hietzing Gate'. Once in here, you'll come immediately face-to-face with the historical glass-and-steel Palm House. Very nice!

For some morning exercise (and don't we all need some), clamber up to the Gloriette pavilion where you can catch a panoramic view of the magnificent Palace!

Elegant Breakfast...

by coceng

While I was with Joe, he treated me at this fine place called Cafe Sacher on the 2nd day was in Vienna.
I didn't eat much during breakfast but Joe insisted me to have a breakfast there because it's his favourite !
It's an expensive he told me & also a hotel; Hotel Sacher.So....What did me & Joe have for our breakfast in Cafe Sacher ?
Click HERE to see our bill !The address of Cafe Sacher is :
Philharmonikerstrasse 4.

10th district - Favoriten

by pakistanibrain

The Vienna Twin Towers are a major part of southern Vienna's skyline. Their construction has been completed in 2002 and now the Towers are home to the offices of many multi-national as well as local companies. A small Food-Plaza is located in the lower floors.

Favoriten (that's how the 10th district is called) is in the south of Vienna and a fast-growing residential area. One major attraction is the "Kurpark Oberlaa", a park that had been created during the International Floristic show in the 1970s.

Stephansdom

by globetrott

Stephansdom is also called " Steffel " by the local people of Vienna.

Already in medieval times it was situated in the very centre of town, overlooking all other houses.

And from the beginning it had a small chamber - the so called " Turmstube " - wher a fireguard was watching out for fires all day and night The Steffel has a great gothic interior and especially famous is a small sculpture with a head looking out of a window right beneath the pulpit :

" Der Fenstergucker "

Its a self-portrait of the architect of St.Stephens

Comments