Hollmann Beletage - Design & Boutique

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Hollmann Beletage - Design & Boutique

A hotel 'experience'

by TripAdvisor Member Surprised

Saying that this hotel has the 'wow factor' is something of an understatement. Even the term 'contemporary designer boutique hotel' - which is exactly what it is - doesn't quite seem to do it justice. We'd previously stayed at the Aldstadt which we loved - and my somewhat conservative husband actually prefers - but for me the HB was truly an experience with its bold decor, extraordinary attention to detail (even the transparent coverings on the little pots of butter at breakfast have the 'Hollmann Beletage insignia on them), large 'living' area, big beautifully appointed 'minimalist' design rooms, and memorable breakfast. Add to that the convenience of being so centrally located (though in a fairly quiet street) with several highly recommended restaurants nearby, and you have the ingredients for a wonderful sojourn in Vienna. If, like me, you're a member of the 'older' generation or aren't as physically flexibile as you might be, you could find climbing in and out of the quite deep trendy bath (complete with 'waterfall' shower) - which is separated from the sleeping area only by a shower curtain - a bit of a challenge. (We were in Room 15 and I think some other rooms might have more 'regular' bathrooms which some people might prefer.)

A real find

by TripAdvisor Member TravelerFromAtlanta

Hollmann Beletage is a real find...surprisingly reasonable, refreshingly stylish, and perfectly located in the historic heart of Vienna within walking distance of everything.

The plusses: As so many have noted, the owner's attention to detail, from the eye-popping Japanese-inspired furnishings to the exquisite (included) breakfasts, is superb. We loved the soaking tub on a platform in the center of the room, although we can understand it might be disconcerting to some. The built in furnishings are designed for minimum clutter and maximum efficiency, and provided ample storage.The spa and sauna were delightful and we seemed to be the only ones who made use of them.

The concierge, who is on duty all day, was very helpful, and steered us to excellent restaurants. The dining room staff cheerfully brought our breakfast to our room every day and the spread usually carried us through till dinner time.

The minus side: Our room ( No. 15) looked over a popular restaurant that stayed noisy well into the evening. After six days, we found the interesting platform bed system a bit hard on our backs...and we longed for an unstylish comfy chair to curl up in. But we would definitely come back for a shorter stay.

Vienna is full of wonderful restaurants, but we particularly enjoyed Oswald and Kolb (just three blocks from the hotel). If you decide to sample the Heurigen in Grinzing, (take the U4 underground, then the #38A bus to the stop between Himmelstrasse and Cobenzlgasse) we recommend "Zum Martin Sepp" at Cobenzlgasse 34...in a different class from the many tourist trap steam table establishments near the bus stop. .

Magnificent little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tunesm

We loved this hotel. We booked direct with Hollmann Beletage and got excellent value for money. The hotel is beautifully designed with a fantastic hot and cold breakfast included. It is also in a great location close to everything you could possibly need. Two small points - one is, sadly, there is not a tea/coffee making facility in the room and two, the pillows are not the best (mine was so soft that I could have slept without it and probably not felt a difference) and be ready for the two single beds pushed together scenario.

Everything is very well organised. When we received the email from the hotel confirming our reservation it asked what time we would be arriving as the reception is not covered all the time. We were arriving outside their 'office hours' so they sent us a code to access the hotel. When we got to our room it was clearly marked with our names outside on a board. We would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.

Two tips for Vienna - register for the Citybike system. It's brilliant. It allows you to hire bikes for free if you use it correctly. There are stations all over the city.
Secondly - there is a wonderful restaurant and bar nearby with views over Vienna called Do & Co (the bar is called Onyx). It's above the DO & CO Hotel Vienna, A-1010 Vienna, Stephansplatz 12 (directly opposite St. Stephen’s Cathedral). A little pricey but absolutely lovely. There is a sushi bar and they also serve traditional Viennese (the best schnitzel we have ever eaten!)

Great location, service and food!

by TripAdvisor Member dedicatedtraveller

The hotel is very easy to get to from Vienna airport via the fast CAT train service (16 minute journey time), then 2 stops on the U3 line to Stephanplatz and finally a 5 minute walk.

The hotel's excellent location (just off the main pedestrianised area but a stones throw from the cathedral) is a real bonus, as it makes walking to the vast majority of central Vienna's attractions, straightforeward and easy. It is also surrounded by a plethera of good cafes and restaurants which offer a huge range/variety of cuisine/beverages to suit all tastes and pockets. It also means nipping back to the hotel for a comfort stop, beverage break or breather very convenient and hardly any time is lost!

All the staff we met were very friendly, cheerful and helpful. The lounge and reception area are boldly decorated in orange and brown and cream which made it all feel very fresh and clean.

Our room, No 11, we found light and airy and a good size for a city centre hotel. It had a double window and French doors opening onto a small balcony. The bed was comfortable and the shower always piping hot and powerful. It overlooked a rather dowdy internal courtyard (not that we were in the room long enough each day to worry about a lack of view!) but had the advantage of being very quiet. With the windows open you could hear the adjacent air conditioning unit but it wasn't enough to disturb our sleep and of course, as the room is fully airconditioned, you do not have to open the windows. The two easy chairs we found to be style over comfort as they were not for sitting on for too long! It's only a personal thing but I was a little disapointed to find the duvet filled with man made fibres, all the other hotels in Austria we have stayed in have had excellent feather filled ones - I felt it let the side down a bit.

The breakfasts were absolutely superb! Large choice of cerals, wonderfully fresh bread/rolls/croissants/pastries and a delicious platter of fruits, cheeses, meats, sausages, nuts, fish all beautifully presented and varied each morning. If you had any room left a hot special of the day was cooked to order! Fresh orange juice, coffee and tea were in plentiful supply.

We would return to the Hollmann Beletage without a moments hesitation!

Delightful gem

by TripAdvisor Member NYCvoyagers

We enjoyed our four nights here - terrific location, relaxed homey feel combined with elegant modern design. As noted by other reviewers, breakfast was lovely, with many choices, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Given that they are not on duty round the clock, guests should be sure to plan ahead for dinner recommendations and the like. One caveat for couples - while the rooms are beautifully and cleverly designed, ours (I don't know if all rooms are like this) had the sink behind the bed and the tub/shower in an alcove with only a curtain. The sounds could be intrusive if one of us was trying to sleep in. On the whole, though, a great experience.

A brilliant boutique hotel - attention to detail in every way

by TripAdvisor Member irishinlondon

This hotel is a real find and full of character. Its location is fantastic - only 5 minutes by foot to St. Stephansdom and v close to an U Bahn station for easy access to and from the airport. It is set off the street, inside an old building with beautiful high ceilings and has its own lift up to the reception area.

The reception area is simple yet beautifully designed and there are some lovely touches in the hotel - a blackboard outside your room welcoming you by name, a piano in the "living area", etc. There's also ample luggage storage if your flight is not until later in the day and the reception is closed.

The rooms are modern and functional, again with some lovely touches. The beds are v comfy, and there's a plasma TV and a mounted CD player already loaded with a CD full of old-style songs about Vienna....lovely. The breakfast was superb as well - the variety and the quality both fantastic.

"Attention to detail" are the three words I would use to describe this hotel - so much thought has been put into everything. Much has been made of the lack of staff there - but that is the style of the hotel, it's very much a home from home and a hands-off approach. If you don't mind this, then you'll love this hotel.(TripAdvisor member from Ireland)

Great hotel, fantastic location

by TripAdvisor Member MELODYJANE

Stayed for 4 nights - booked through Expedia. Word of warning as it spolit our arrival so much we almost went to another hotel....the opening hours are 9-5 mon-fri and Sat/Sun mornings only. We arrived Sunday afternoon to find we could not even get into the hotel as we needed a passcode. We managed to get in by fluke having found a cleaning lady. This was not the best welcome (having no-one to greet you) and is most depressing when you're not expecting it. Expedia denied all responsibility - beware booking online if you want to be have any comeback! Apparently, haivng drilled several times into their hotel info, we could have found this out. I was a bit disappointed that the hotel didn't contact us either, knowing our arrival was on a Sunday and knowing they had not yet given us a passcode. My other initial disappointment was then the room - very modern and nicely styled, but practicalities have not been thought out so well - very little storage space and places to put stuff. The shower was in the middle of the room - there was no bathroom as such. Again, the pictures i've seen do not reflect this particular room and not everyone is comfortable with showering in a glass cage! Having said all this, the next few days made up for it. Wonderful breakfasts - the best I've ever had in a hotel. The location was great, staff were very friendly and I grew to love the decor after a while. It is true to say it feels more like home and less like a hotel after a while. Love the piano aswell - haven't had one since I left home, so a treat for me. Would recommend.

Cutting Edge Chic and Great Location- What's not to Love?!?

by TripAdvisor Member familyof4traveller

While this place is not for everyone (If you want a Marriott type American style hotel look elsewhere), it was PERFECT for us. We went in late Sept 2006 (just got back this weekend), my 72 year old mother, and my sister and I for my sister's 50th birthday. This place is really unique- chic and modern decor from the lobby to the bathrooms- free standing tubs on a slatted wood platform, blank white walls with a pumpkin orange and dark wood color theme- all slick and clean feeling. The beds are futon style, no box spring, so they are very firm, and luscious down pillows and plenty of them. I slept better here than in my own bed! They even give you little black slippers to walk around in. OK, so I flodded the bathroom when I tried to sue the shower which has no door, but that is because I am a clumsy American :) The rooms are big and airy, high ceilings, and have a fresh fruit basket when you arrive. The mini bar is cheap and stocked with good wine. The library is a great place to hang out with a cup of their excellent cappuccino, and the breakfasts are viennese style- eggs, cold cuts, cheeses, breads and croissants, soem sort of sweet cake, yogurt, cereal, the list goes on and on. The service, when available, is fantastic. The only drawback (and this is true for most small hotels) is there is only someone on duty from 9-5 on weekdays, and 9-12 on weekends. And if someone is calling you from outside and doesn;t know your room number they can;t get you. And it is very hard to place an outside call or get your messages. MINOR difficulties and all worth it to avoid the cookie cutter big hotels like Marriott. The even have cool looking orange bikes to rent, and lockers to leave your stuff in after you check out if you need to (we went ot Prague for three days and came back, and left half our stuff in the locker for a whopping 2 euros). They will call for restaurant reservations, Opera tickets, confirm plane flights, whatever. And then there's the location. three blocks from a Metro stop and Stephansplatz with a gorgeous church and a great ice cream place. Great restaurants within walking distance, the museums are too if you are a city person and like to walk. In general everything inside the Ringstrasse is easy to find.

I LOVE this hotel!

Perfect!!!

by TripAdvisor Member mszwarc

I reserved three rooms for 2 other couples and my husband and me. The one problem -- the taxi driver couldn't find the hotel!

It is a bit confusing -- using a code to get into the hotel. This was somewhat exacerbated as we were traveling with a total twit!

I love this hotel. The rooms are amazing -- clean, sleek and very comfortable. The location is perfect -- the breakfast rivals any breakfast anywhere -- even ones that needed to be paid for.

I almost hate to write this review -- I plan to stay there again -- I want them to do well but I was always want room for me to stay!

Marilyn
South Carolina

Excellent hotel - Great location

by TripAdvisor Member KPHJ

This small hotel was perfect for our 4 night stay in Vienna. It's contemporary decor might seem a bit out of place in old Vienna, but the staff is very friendly and our room was the largest of all the hotels we visited on our two week Austrian vacation. The location was perfect; walking distance to most sights and to public transportation. Breakfast was wonderful with the offer of eggs prepared to your personal taste each morning. Don't be concerned about the lack of hotel staff nights and weekends; they will accommodate your every need even if staff has to return after hours. And they offer free internet usage 9 - 5. Highly recommended hotel!

Comments