Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth

Kaiserin Elisabeth
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Charming hotel in Vienna's city center.

When looking for a hotel in Vienna, we wanted one that would be centrally located, comfortable with old world charm, and a reasonable price; and we found all that and more in the Hotel Kaiserin Elizabeth. Empress Sisi's hotel was a wonderful place to stay during our time in Vienna.

From the moment we arrived, the front desk staff was terrific. Friendly, professional and very attentive. They remained that way throughout our stay, offering suggestions on places to eat, directions to sites and things to do. Whenever we picked up or dropped off the key there was a smile behind the counter.

The room was terrific. There was a sitting room that was separate from the bedroom. A large sized bedroom with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge, with double sinks, a tub and a separate walk in shower. The room was located on the fourth floor and was very quiet.

The price for the room was reasonable and included breakfast plus free wi-fi. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Unique Quality: While there was no one thing that stood out, it was the overall feeling of traditional elegance that we enjoyed about the hotel. Everyone was polite, well dressed and really seemed to be there for the guests.

Directions: St Stephan's Cathedral area, right near the U-Bahn stop.

• themajor's Profile Photo

DON'T BE A SISSI! WHY NOT STAY HERE?

The Kaiserin Elisabeth is a charming hotel a short stroll from Stephansdom, situated in a street that branches off from the swish Karntnerstrasse shopping boulevard. The building in part dates back to the 14th century...though the guest rooms are rather more up to date than that might suggest! In fact even the internet savvy will be able to find a connection within the hotel.

Breakfasts are good but those seeking night-time nosh should be aware that there isn't a proper restaurant on the premises. It is however just possible - though hardly recommended! - to leap from your room straight into the Drei Hussaren just opposite: and that just happens to be one of Vienna's grandest and finest restaurants.

As is so often the case with Vienna's oldest hotels , the guest list is full of past worthies, from Mozart to Wagner to Grieg and Liszt. It's name was granted by Royal decree in 1860, and enthusiasts seeking Empress Elisabeth the (much loved and sadly assassinated Royal beauty known as 'Sissi') won't have to look too hard to find her image! From what I've heard, the Kaiserin Elisabeth is one of the more affordable traditional establishments in this beautiful city and certainly one to research further...

Unique Quality: Splendidly Sissi!

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Mozart, Lizt, Wagner, Grieg...stayed here

Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth is my favorite hotel in Vienna as it has a perfect location close to Stephansplatz and Kaerntner Strasse and it has such wonderful furniture and a great atmosphere, reminding me a lot of the good old times of the monarchy.

Famous persons who stayed here :

1767 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    1838 Clara Schuhmann
    1856 Franz Liszt
    1862 Richard Wagner
    1863 Anton Bruckner
    1896 Edvard Grieg
    1956 Oskar Kokoschka

and a lot more.
    In 1910 the hotel was granted the priviledge to by called " Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth" by the Austrian court.

Unique Quality: Have a look on my picture and check out the link below.
    And if you are a fan of Kaiserin Elisabeth = Sissi - you will find plenty of sculptures and paintings of her in the hotel.

NOT a cheap place , BUT a GREAT place with a unique atmosphere !!

200 Euros for the Doubble
    75 Euro for a single rooms with shower are certainly a good price for what you get !

Directions: When arriving at Stephansplatz, Weihburggasse is the 2nd street on the left, towards the Opera.

More about Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth

Musicals - German Language

by Aleyd about Theater an der Wien

Theater an der Wien was showing Elisabeth until 4/12/05. A very appropriate musical to see whilst in Vienna and Austria. A captivating portrayal of the life and death of Empress Elisabeth (Kaiserin Elisabeth) of Austria. Amazing voices and use of stage and props. Would recommend highly. The programme contained a description of each scene in German and English. Other European languages are available from the theatre's foyer. A number of cafes and restaurants are close by. A DVD of the show has just been released and is supurb.

Tickets are available from the theatre. However, I got my tickets 1/2 price from 2pm from outside another building (will add details asap). The ticket seller at the Theater an der Wien told me about these 1/2 price tickets. I had no problems getting a single ticket in a good location.

Photography and video recording are not allowed during the performance. The outfits I saw at the theatre ranged from smart casual to suits and ties. I'd suggest at least a collared shirt for men if possible.

Musicals - German Language

by Aleyd

!!! UNDER CONSTRUCTION !!!

Raimund Theater is currently showing the German language version of Romeo and Juliet (Romeo und Julia). Amazing voices and use of stage and props. Very impressed.

Theater an der Wien was showing Elisabeth until 4/12/05. A very appropriate musical to see whilst in Vienna and Austria. A captivating portrayal of the life and death of Empress Elisabeth (Kaiserin Elisabeth) of Austria. Amazing voices and use of stage and props. Would recommend highly. The programme contains a description of each scene in German and English. Other European languages are available from the theatre's foyer. A number of cafes and restaurants are close by.

Tickets are available from each theatre. However, I got my tickets 1/2 price from 2pm from outside another building (will add details asap). The ticket seller at the Theater an der Wien told me about these 1/2 price tickets. I had no problems getting a single ticket in a good location.

Photography and video recording are not allowed during the performance.

The outfits I saw at both theatres ranged from smart casual to suits and ties. I'd suggest at least a collared shirt for men if possible.

Highly recommend!

Spent three nights at Kaiserin Elisabeth with my husband and 12 year old daughter. Had a room facing the courtyard on the third floor. Bathroom was beautiful. So nice to have a long bath after traveling across Austria. Breakfast was enjoyable. We always love a hot breakfast to start the day and one with not just carbs and cheese. There was one internet accessable computer which was almost always available and free of charge. The lobbyand lounge was a bit smokey all the time but this is fairly unavoidable in Europe. But, our room never smelled of smoke and that is what really counts. The staff was quite helpful and pleasant. The location cannot be beat. This was our most expensive hotel on our three week trip through Austria and the Czech Republic but we felt it was worth it for the location and classiness. Would stay again.

What a find!

by TripAdvisor Member Mia1976

I stayed there for three nights in May visiting friends in the city. All in all I thought the Kaiserin Elisabeth was a really good hotel and very good value for money. I stayed in a single room which was a nice size with a lovely bathroom. The room also had aircon. Although the shower partition leaked it didn’t bother me very much. The room was very clean and the hotel staff were nice, friendly and very helpful with restaurants, etc. The breakfast is really very good!

The location is fantastic – you are right on Kaerntner Strasse.

Beware of the sockets, though! I plugged my hairdryer into an adapter and then when I put the adapter into the socket - there was an explosion which stained the wallpaper black! I told reception before breakfast and when I went back upstairs after breakfast it had been fixed. However, they attempted to charge me for the wallpaper as they thought the hairdryer was 110 Volts instead of 220 Volts. But after they looked at my hairdryer and confirmed that it was 220 Volts they just cleaned the wallpaper and asked me not to use my hairdryer again.

I will definitively go back there.

Old World Charm at its Best!

by TripAdvisor Member Kunda Park

Trip Advisor rocks! We likely never would have found this hotel but for their web-site and the positive reviews. Stayed there from June 11 to 16th and didn't want to leave. Perfect central location, quiet, comfortable and tastefully decorated room, large, modern bathroom (had no trouble with hairdryer). No A/C in our room (216) but with windows left wide open it was pleasant sleeping, very quiet (room faced courtyard, rooms facing street may not be as quiet, though). Woke every morning to the bells of St. Stephans. Excellent staff, especially on front desk, courtly and helpful. Buffet quite good and typically European -- muesli, yogurt, cheeses, cold meats, hot meats, eggs, tons of pastries and fruit. A bit repetitive by the fifth day, but I'm not complaining! Wanted a no smoking room, none available but front desk offered to move us the next day if we weren't satisfied. Not a trace of smoke in room or wardrobe, so we stayed put. All in all, can't say enough good things about the Kaiserin Elisabeth. Great value for the money.

Never had a bad meal in Vienna, either! Try the Greichenbeisl, Kern's Beisl, Figlmuller, Cafe Sperl, Venezia. So many beisls, so little time!

If you have time, do the Wachau/Danube valley bus/boat trip, a very relaxed way to spend our last day in Austria.

Convenient and good value

We stayed here for 4 nights in April and felt that we really got our money's worth. It was our first time to Vienna so we wanted to be centrally located which this hotel is. But, it still was quiet and peaceful. The breakfast was fine - nothing extremely speacial but good food and they were willing to scramble up eggs for us when we asked. Staff was courteous. Linens were awesome!

Simple but Superb

by TripAdvisor Member Fly_Easyjet

What a lovely hotel in an ideal position.

Just off the Stephanpflatz right in the centre of Vienna this hotel has class. The rooms are large with excellent fiittings, very comfortable beds and wonderful bathrooms. Our suite (E230 / night) had a huge bathroom with walk in shower and large bath, a huge sitting area and a large bedroom. There were flat panel TVs in both the sitting room and bedroom. Rooms are triple glazed and have twin doors so serenity is guaranteed. Breakfast is taken downstairs from a very good buffet. There are few hot dishes but the choice of breads, cold meats and cheeses is first class. Above all though the staff are just so helpful. Great place to stay and teriffic value for the quality and location.

My new favorite hotel!

My husband and I took a 3-week European trip, which included stays in 8 different hotels, and this was by far my favorite of the bunch. The front desk staff, bellman, and housekeeping staff were all super-friendly. Our room was the largest room of our trip, with a nice sitting area and tall ceilings. It was very hot during our time in Vienna, so we really enjoyed coming back to the air-conditioned room in the afternoon for a quick nap. This was extremely feasible because the location of the hotel can't be beat. Just off the Kartnerstrasse, it was steps away from the city's most popular shopping street and close the Opera house, the Hofburg, and it was literally in the shadows of St. Stephen's Cathedral. It was also just about a half-block from the U-bahn station, which was really helpful. Even with all of this so close, the hotel was still amazingly quiet, and we were only one floor off the street. The room actually had two doors - the one from the hallway went into a small closet-sized area, and then there was another door to the room - so we never heard housekeeping or other guests. The included breakfast every morning was pretty good, and I believe that they served it until 11:00, so that gives you a bit of time to sleep in. I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel!

Kaiserin ElisabethKaiserin Elisabeth

The Kaiserin ElisabethThe Kaiserin Elisabeth

"vessel "Kaiserin Elisabeth""vessel "Kaiserin Elisabeth"

Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth/Suite or Superior Double

by lizzie1955

I have heard so many good things about the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth that I am looking very forward to my stay. I am currently booked into a Superior Double but am considering upgrading to a Suite. Has anyone ever stayed in one of their suites? According to the hotel, there isn't much of a difference. I got the impression that the only real reasn to book the suite was if you were, say, a family needing the extra room...

Comments