Hotel Kunsthof

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Vienna

Vienna - Souvenirs (2010)Vienna - Souvenirs (2010)

Me as school girl in Vienna - SchönbrunnMe as school girl in Vienna - Schönbrunn

Schweizerhof in Hofburg, Vienna, ATSchweizerhof in Hofburg, Vienna, AT

Stephansdom, Vienna, ATStephansdom, Vienna, AT

Two Saturdays in September

by JAPrufrock

I'll be in Vienna on 2 consecutive Saturdays next month - the 11th and the 18th. Totally foot-loose and fancy-free, have camera will walk.

I have tickets for the Spanish Riding School show at 11 a.m. on the 18th.
I know I should spend some time in a coffee-house, sample the Wiener schnitzel and sacher torte, maybe try to catch a performance by the Orchestra.
What else should I do, where should I go, whom can I talk to, what should I eat (and drink!), what buses should I take to ride around?

My idea of a good visit is to get the local flavour, take a load of photographs, then write about it so that I can preserve the memory.

Any suggestions?

J. Alfred Prufrock

by hawkhead

Why not have a look at my Vienna pages. Also those of other VT members. All depends on your interests.

by Maryimelda

Vienna is my favourite European city and the way I enjoy it most is to just walk.
There is a wonder at every turn. I don't know if you like churches but if so, there are some really mind blowing ones (don't miss St Peterskirche whatever you do. If the weather is nice go down to the canal and see what's happening. Just walk and walk till you drop, you will love this city and you will love the Lippizaners too. Watch their hooves, the precision is amazing.

by picek

Hi, as for the flavours on Saturday I suggest a visit to Naschmarkt.... it's flea market there on Saturdays, lots of people of all winds come. Then there are also markets with fresh food, vegetable and fruits, food kiosks, some nice restaurants and shops in vicinity. For the atmosphere I think there's no better place in whole Vienna on Saturday. As for taking pictures, it's lively and interesting.
You can go there by subway (u-bahn).

by dustmon

It is a cliche of sorts, but I do recommend the Sacher Cafe for your torte/coffeeshop experience---the service is wonderful---it was raining when I went a few weeks back and they took our wet stuff into another room and sat us in a window seat for our torte, some hot soup and some wine----

dustmon

by Roadquill

You can do a tour of the Opera House, or attend an opera at the main opera house or the Volks opera. The Music haus has at least 3 different venues. I bought a ticket 2 hours before the performance of a Bach Cantata and there were only a few seats left (so get your tickets as soon as you get there). I only had 2 1/2 days in Vienna and was amazed at how much I did not get to see. I had trouble figuring out the bus/tram system, but the metro works well and gets you close to everything. Karl

Travel Tips for Vienna

Movie Classic by Orson Welles

by longsanborn

"The 3rd Man" (1949) was filmed in Vienna - see the sewers and cemetery. This film is always shown at the Burg Kino, one of the cinema that shows films in English/original language.

The film is about an american author Holly Martins (Joseph Cotten) who arrived in Vienna to meet old friend Harry Lime (Orson Welles). On arrival he finds Harry was just killed in an accident and attends his funeral. The police were happy that his death was an accident but Martins begins to investigate the accident and found out things that lead him to a shocking discovery that will eventually challenge his values and friendship. Classic British thriller movie like Hollywood seldom used to make. The film is constantly dark and shadowy. The city of Vienna is shown as both beautiful and in ruins. The final confrontation in the sewers of Vienna is excellent.

an absolute must is to see the...

by Lisal

an absolute must is to see the St.Stephen's Cathederal. A huge cathederal with lots of differnt styles in there. If you get a chance then go to see the roof! Very cool but not open for normal tourists. But try!
Then you have to see the Belvedere. It's a castle. The architecture is georgeous and the museum in there is one of the best I've ever seen. Have a look on it!
Another museum which is also a must is the 'Albertina'!
Another street you should have a look at is the 'Kärntner Street' and the 'Maria Hilfer Street'. Those are nice shopping streets and our answer to the American shopping malls. Here the Americans can see what they are missing!
Then there is the 'Prater', a fun park in the middle of Vienna. Doesn't cost any entrance but you need a ticket for every ride. Most of them aren't very interesting but don't forget to get on the 'Riesenrad' and don't forget to drink beer in the 'Schweizerhaus'!
Also you have to go to see an opera. Even you don't like operas you would enjoy the athmosphere, the people, the architecture,... and don't forget that the Vienna Symphonic Orchestra, one of the best orchestras of the world, is playing there for normal!

Hundertwasser House

by reeka

As our stay in Vienna was a short one we decided to take a sightseeing tour with one of the companies that advertise outside the State Opera. "Vienna Sightseeing"

We decided on the Panoramic City Tour with Boat Ride on the Danube. As it was so hot we thought it might cool us down.

We started off by taking the coach round parts of Vienna, included was a tour of artists' Friedensreich Hundertwasser's residential complex.

Streetscape with the Augustinian Church Tower

by yooperprof

While strolling through the 1st District of Vienna, keep your eyes open for interesting views and vistas. There are satisfying and intriguing perspectives to be found around almost every corner. This was one of my favorite angles in the city: looking down this short street at the juxtaposition of rooftops, with the tall and narrow Augustinian Chuch Tower as a backdrop.

Toll/Road Tax

by ludakirk

While driving betweeen Germany and Italy I happened upon a service oasis outside Hohenems on the E43. Before I was aware I was flagged down by an official looking gentlemen holding a small stop sign standing on the roadside.
He politely notified me that I was driving on Austrian roads without the proper permit. Surprised, I asked him to explain, which he did. About 200 meters before him I had crossed into Austria (now if there had been significant signs stating such I would have known, but it looked just like a dozen other service stops on the highway)and was now required to have a road permit. I said I wasn't 1) aware I had entered Ausria and 2) saw/knew nothing about a required road tax/toll/permit.
That mattered nothing to him and it would now cost me 120 Euros (~$160). He said there were signs in English as I approached the border which I later verified was not true.
But they had me, (and 4 other carloads at the time I was stopped, all unwitting tourists like myself). Either I pay their extorted 120 Euros or they impound my car, detain me and charge me 3000 Euros for not complying.
Nice place. Worst than a Georgian speed trap.
Now I may not have seen the signs leading to this fiasco but I could read the signs now. So I paid their grimy little tourist tax vowing never to return to their miseable little tourist trap and to tell whoever I meet what a petty and disingenuous place Austria is.
I will someday be offered an opportunity to extract recompense and I assure you it will be sweet.

So if you drive in that region, avoid Austria, and if you can't avoid it all together, figure out to purchase their toll pass for 7.70 Euros before they can robe you of much much more.

Switzerland BTW has a similar tax but they were very polite and accomodating allowing you to buy as you cross into Switzerland.

Comments