Hotel Stefanie

Taborstrasse 12, (formerly Best Western Hotel Stefanie), Vienna, Vienna, A-1020, Austria

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Hotel Stefanie

Did you ever stay somewhere and it feels like home but looks absolutely nothing like your home? That's how I feel at Hotel Stephanie. I really enjoy this hotel, its restaurant, bar, and my spacious room with the high ceilings and massive windows. Besides my chamber with its long red and gold velvet curtains, the hotel is furnished in an old Victorian ostentatious style I'd normally refer to as "stuffy". The front desk staff, bellboys, bartender, and doorman all wear suits and ties and maintain uptight and proper demeanors, but they're so friendly and helpful whenever you need to talk to them. In short, I decide that this little hotel, tucked in a non-tourist area on the other side of the river, is trying really, really hard to be a flower. ...And I love that about it!
    After checking in, I sit on the windowsill in my room looking down at the pedestrains and traffic on Taborstrasse below. It's a slightly noisy street, but I'm glad my room faces the front of the hotel as it catches the afternoon sun. I won't have any problem sleeping tonight because it's a similar noise volume to my bedroom back home in Canada and the bed itself is faced the same orientation as I have mine.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Great value for a quality hotel

Just across the Canal from the old town, (which made it a little inconvenient), the hotel is very comfortable and well appointed. The desk clerks (at least four of them) were all very helpful and recognized me immediately whenever I showed up. The small bar area generally had a handful of freindly, albeit noisy patrons. My room faced the interior courtyard but there was not much of a view. For a facility this large they could have used an exercise room. The breakfast, included was amount the best I have had in my travels.

• Vienna's jewel

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel...clean..the dining was exquisit...food prepared with great attention....service was out of this world....We only have compliments for this hotel.

We would definitely recomment this hotel to our friends...this has already been done....because it's home away from home...very clean and the food is superb

Unique Quality: cleanliness and the food

the service was also great

• WStat's Profile Photo

Off the beaten path: Hotel STEPHANIE

Talking of Viennese tradition the Hotel Stefanie is certainly one of the finest examples. The 4-star house with 126 rooms originally was the first of the Schick Hotel group and belongs to the most beautiful hotels in Vienna. It was named after the wife of the Crown Prince Rudolph, Princess Stefanie and has been well-known for its superior quality and friendly service for more than 100 years. Tasteful, elegant rooms with modern comfort, the restaurant "Kronprinz Rudolph" serving Austrian as well as international specialities and a ice garden restaurant, the hotelbar "Stefanie" a well as function rooms for up to 200 persons and our own garage complete the offer. Located in the very heart of the city - just a few minutes' walk from St. Stephen's Cathedral - the Hotel Stefanie is the ideal starting point for experiencing Vienna

Unique Quality: Located in the very heart of the city - just a few minutes' walk from St. Stephen's Cathedral - the Hotel Stefanie is the ideal starting point for experiencing Vienna
    Many of my friends and business-partners have stayed there and appreciated the hotels location (walk only 10 minutes to St Stephens, 15 minutes to the Opera ) as well as the very good service and food
    The hotel offers an own parking which costs EUR 18,-- per day.

High-speed internet connection in most of the rooms (EUR 3.60/h)
    WLAN in the hotel-lobby (EUR 3.60/h)
    Internetcorner in the hotel-lobby (EUR 1,--/15min)

Pets(small cats and dogs) are allowed, costs are EUR 10,-- per day.

Directions: 25 km from international airport Vienna
    1. with public transport EUR 5.80 travel time 30 min.
    2. with Taxi EUR 35,- travel time 20 min.

300 m until Central Station

Bus/Underground Stop Schwedenplatz

More about Hotel Stefanie

Lavazza Caffebarwien: Coffee, Ice Cream, and Beer

by Kaspian about Lavazza Caffebarwien

Normally I wouldn't extol the virtues of an obscure ice cream parlour like Lavazza Caffebarwien, but the two friendly teenagers serving me a beautiful beer called "Fitzer" since 9:00 AM, haven't even batted an eyelid and I'm on about my sixth pint. When I first arrived, straight from my flight from Canada, and the young woman behind the ice cream counter, a brunette with huge hazel eyes and whose name tag says "Sophie", told me they could serve draft at this hour, I was ecstatic! "No problem," she said. You would think they'd eventually ask themselves, "Why is this foreigner sitting alone out there, drinking beer, and getting himself tipsy so early on a Saturday morning? Is he some sort of homeless, drunk guy?" But they don't--whenever I walk in they just smile and chirp, "Another?" The truth is that I'm too exhausted to explore the city after 24 hours of travel to get to Austria, I'm staying at the Hotel Stefanie directly across the street, room check-in isn't until noon, the beer-buzz will help me sleep when I eventually do get in, and hell, it's technically only 2 or 3:00 AM back in Canada so it's still my Friday night.
Despite my drowsiness, I'm a very happy man right now--I'm on an outdoor patio in a foreign country, I have a cold beer and full pack of cigarettes, my feet up, my backpack in front of me, a Vienna travel guide open on the the table, and it's a sunny, warm, perfect Saturday morning. The orange awning over my table casts a serene, apricot colour down around me. A great first day of vacation!
The non-stop flow of people entering and exiting Lavazza changes over the course of the morning. It began with older Italian-looking men ordering crusty-bread sandwiches and espressos to jump-start their day. Now it's families ordering multicolour ice cream creations and fantastic, gooey banana splits. I watch as parents walking by with their children attempt distraction, hoping the little one won't notice the giant, plastic, novelty ice cream cone advertisement parked right in the middle of the sidewalk. This always fails. Tears and temper-tantrums quickly ensue and almost exactly one-half the time, the child wins this battle of wills. To my surprise, these parents approach the take-out window to place the order, but always buy a cone for themselves as well. A consolation prize, maybe?
Ice cream, gelato, and frozen yoghurt seem to be a big part of the Viennese culture and this little place serves one of the biggest name brands in town--"Zanoni & Zanoni". Frozen desserts are offered seasonally at many places, and this begins in the month of March.
Over the next four days, I find myself often sitting comfortably on the patio at Lavazza and daydreaming while having a morning coffee, afternoon beer, or evening nightcap. The service here is so good, there's never a wait time, always a place to sit down, and it's a perfect place to people watch. It's not a glamorous restaurant, an architectural miracle, a sea of tranquility, a trendy hangout, or anything else like that, but I'm so very glad to have found "my spot" in Vienna.

kosher product list in Austria

by danielise

I can't download the kosher product list in Austria, does anybody know if the bbread is kosher in Austria and any other products such as yogurts , white cheese etc..
thks
Lise

by JB93

We are planning our trip which starts in two weeks and had the same question. I think it's safe to say that nothing is kosher. You might want to check in with a local Rabbi. There is a Chabad in Vienna, and according to A Guide to Jewish Travel in Europe by Ben G. Frank there is one kosher hotel, the Hotel Stefanie. Address is Taborstrasse 12, Vienna 1020. This may or may not exist anymore. It looks as though most of the few synagogues are Orthodox, with one Conservative. The Lubovitch Organization address is Grunentorgasse 26, Vienna 9. For up to date information, as mine is about 8 years old, look in a bookstore for any book with a similar title.
For a person who keeps kosher, eating in Vienna is very tricky. There is a kosher cafe at the Jewish Museum, but any more than that you'll have to ask someone else!
Good luck and a safe trip,
JB93

by brandi05

I don't know any specifics, but there are a few places advertising kosher products in the 2nd district (in the area around U1 Nestroyplatz and Schwedenplatz).

by AnnaStella

Hello!

There are some shops selling kosher food in the 2nd district, near schwedenplatz.

There is a kosher restaurant near the synagogue called:
Alef-Alef
Homepage www.alef-alef.at
Adresse 1010 Wien, Seitenstettengasse 2 Telefon 535 25 30

And I found another one in the second district:
Grusia
Adresse 1020 Wien, Ybbsstra├če 6-12 (2nd district)
Telefon 728 63 77