Prinz Eugen Hotel Vienna

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 49% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Hotel near Sudbahnhof

Sometimes it's just the little things that sets a hotel apart, sometimes you might find something irritating and sometimes you find something that makes you want to recommend the hotel to everyone. The Prinz Eugen might not be the poshest hotel in Vienna and some might find the location a bit out of the way but there were two things that I just loved about this hotel, one was the fresh pineapple served for breakfast, it was the sweetest pineapple I've ever had and when I emptied the first dish of it, another dish appeared, no skimping on breakfast here. The other was the super friendly desk clerk who was there every time we walked by offering a greeting or helping us with our question of the moment. Another bonus was free internet in the lobby, yes you read that right, free internet not wifi. With so many hotels out to nickel and dime you to death, that was very nice (well until we read that our assistant had been out sick all week, but that's another story).

Booked the hotel through www.booking.com for 117E per night, not cheap, but not overly priced for hotels in that category.

Unique Quality: I selected this hotel based on the location, we were arriving and departing from Sudbahnhof, the south train station, and we were going into Bratislava on a daytrip and the trains for that city also left from the Sudbahnhof. There were two metro stations close by so we had no trouble getting into the center, even walked it a couple of times.

More about Prinz Eugen Hotel Vienna

Transportation and others

by mispar7

Going to stay in Vienna for 3 days. I'll stay at Prinz Eugen hotel. Got some questions:
1. Can I buy 72-hours ticket at the VIE airport?
2. How can I use it when take s-bahn train to the city? How do they pay the supplementary for the zones on this ride?
3. What could be the 3-days-stay interary? Interested mostly in sightseeing
4. Is Baden worth visiting in winter?
5. The best stout dark beers (porters)?
6. Closest supermarket and mall to the hotel?
7. Some worth-to-see shows/concerts?

Thanks a lot in advance.

by marielexoteria

(1) My guess would be yes, since they sell tickets, but I'm not sure.

(2) You can't use the 72-hour ticket from the airport because the airport is outside the zones covered by it. However, if you can buy the ticket at VIE, you can always buy the one ticket that covers the zones outside of the "realm" of the 72-hour ticket. We paid with cash but I'm sure they take cards.

Don't forget to validate your ticket on the machines on the platform.

by Penelope4

1. Yes you can. There are machines at the VIE airport.
2, With the same ticket machine, you can buy a ticket to the city. I can't remember if there's an option to read the instructions in English. In any case, you still have to punch the ticket before boarding the fast train.
3. Hmm, check out the tips from fellow VT members. They're great.
4. Baden is a small place. I am sure the garden is not as lovely as it is in summer.
5. I am not an expert but when my father visited me, he enjoyed all sorts of dark beer! In restaurant, just order "Dunkles Bier" which means dark beer.
6.Chain supermarkets are a stone's away. I remember seeing Billa close to your hotel. Another famous chain of supermarket is InterSPAR. You'll have to take tram D to go to Ringstrasse (Ringstrasse Galerie) if you'd like to visit some shops (the nearest mall to your location in fact). You can take the Underground/metro train (U-Bahn) U1 direction Leopoldau and get off at Kagran. There's this shopping mall called Donauzentrum.
7. For concerts, check out http://www.konzerthaus.at and http://www.musikverein.at

Enjoy your stay!

by mispar7

Thanks Penelope! The only thing I've not got is regarding those mashines at VIE. If I already have 72-hour ticket valid for 100-zone only and need to add particular amount for covering of the area between VIE and 100-zone, how do I do that?

by Penelope4

The screen will ask for your destination from the Schwechat airport so from the choices of stations, you just press the button. By doing so, you're not paying a zone which is already covered by your ticket.

by schmechi

I think you should not waste one day by going to Baden if you stay in Vienna only for three days...

Comments