Radisson Sas Palais Hotel

AMOMA.com Despegar.com HotelTravel.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 42% more and rated 14% lower than other 5 star hotels

• Really - 5 Stars - NO WAY

My husband and I have stayed in 5 star hotels and inns all over the world. The Vienna Radisson Blu is no 4 or 5 star hotel.
    This was our Experience: no doorman and no bellman to help with luggage; frazzled understaffed front desk people with angry guests milling about; bar closed for some unexplained reason; tacky big screen TV right as you walk in the door - advertising something or other; lobby smelling like an over-deodorized gas station lavatory; the elevator was dirty and finger-smudged; hallways had low ceilings and dirty, smelly carpet; and tacky, falling-apart upholstered chairs and cheap furniture greet you as you exit the elevator on your floor. My husband had had surgery so I had to schlep three bags up by myself. AND THE ROOMS - We upgraded to a suite?! - (What were we thinking?) The first suite to which we were sent smelled of mold and mildew; the second, "non-smoking" suite they gave me key cards to smelled like an ashtray. A sympathetic maintenance person told me he knew the first room smelled bad - he thought one of the windows had leaked. Maybe the staff hoped we wouldn't notice. Hotels that deodorize carpets instead of cleaning do not even deserve 2 stars.
    I went back to the desk and said the 2nd suite would not work. I was told they were fully booked, so I said I would go to another hotel and they found me a third suite to try. It was not too offensive ... after I opened the window. My husband was tired so we decided to stay.
    NOTE: The lights only turn on if you stick your card key in a little box by the door - since no one explained that - it took us a while to figure it out - pretty tacky, but worse is that when you go to bed you have a choice of unplugging all the lights you don't want on or pulling the card and stumbling in the dark.
    The "amenities" were woeful: the king bed is really two hard as a rock twin beds stuck together - they didn't even attempt to put a king sheet on them; the linens are nice but the feather pillows are old and have no protective covers under the pillowcases - (left me wondering what critters were lurking in the folds); the duvet covers have blankets in them - not duvets; the bath towels - one per person - are small and cheap - I have used paper towels that were more plush; the toilet paper feels like newspaper; there were two tiny bottles of body lotion and three tiny bottles of cheap conditioner in the bathroom and NO soap and NO shampoo - or Cotton balls or swabs - no sewing kit, no robe, no slippers, no iron, or any sign of any other kind of amenity. I asked for Shampoo and was told they had no more. My sympathetic maintenance guy found me two bottles of shampoo - I asked where he got them and he shrugged. The internet is complimentary - but very slow. The mini bar (mini being the operative word - not bar) is complimentary - YAY - one bottle of regular coca cola, one of coke light; one orange juice, one apple juice, two waters, one energy drink, one beer, one teeny bottle of cheap Brut, and no alcohol. The room service at night is pre-made snacks I was told - uh - no thanks. But my husband and I did get a laugh when we saw by the bedside table a card that read "We guarantee
    If this hotel had the 2 or 3 star rating it should have - I would not be so upset. I would have known what to expect and we would not have booked at the Radisson. This would never be a 4 to 5 star hotel anywhere else in the world - I shudder to think what a 1, 2 or 3 star hotel is like in this country.
    Nothing can ruin a trip or holiday like a bad hotel and this hotel ruined VIenna for us - we considered moving to another, but if this is 4-5 stars in Vienna - why try anywhere else. We cut our trip short in Austria because we could not wait to leave, and I doubt we will ever come back.

Unique Quality: The location is very good.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Five-star luxury in the heart of Vienna

We can stay at Radisson SAS hotels due to employee discount, and after careful consideration between the pros and cons of Palais Hotel vs Style Hotel (Herrengasse), we chose this one.

Radisson SAS Palais didn't disappoint us. We had a room that was big enough for us (about 25 sqm) with a view of Stadtpark and the street in front, BUT we weren't affected by traffic noise at all.

The room was smaller than at other hotels we've stayed but it was very clean and nicely decorated with a lot of small paintings. In the bathroom we had a bathtub and a shower, together with the amenities you can find in any 4- or 5-star hotel. I was particularly happy with the complimentary minibar because they had some yummy juices that "killed" my thirst better than the good tap water.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and we had it at their Restaurant Le Siecle (see my separate tip).

Unique Quality: Good communications with the rest of the city center: we could choose either U2, U3 or trams 1 and 2 to take us to where we wanted to go, when we didn't want to walk to Stephansdom or Karlsplatz. Very peaceful hotel even when located in front of a street with a lot of traffic. Close to Ribs of Vienna! :D

Directions: U2: Stadtpark, exit Johannesgasse, then turn right and walk on Johannesgasse until you reach Parkring (about a block away). U3: Stubentor, exit Parkring, then turn right and walk until you see the hotel. Trams 1 and 2: Weihburggasse.

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

Great Location

I've stayed in this hotel a few times and am always very satisfied. It is a great location, right across from the stadt park, and walking distance to Belvedere, Stephansdom and Staatsopern. The rooms are very nice and the hotel bar is good. The rates vary based on conferences, so some weekends it is ridiculous and some are great deals.

• Average

We stayed four nights at the Radisson SAS Palais Hotel. It is nicely situated on a main street across the Stadtpark and close by a metro station. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. However, the hotel room was quite small especially the bathroom. We could not open the draperies as it had a bad view of another building. Breakfast was very expensive at the hotel but there are lots of eating places nearby for any kind of meal.

I would check into other 4 star hotel perhaps that will be more roomy. We don't like to feel cramped after a long day of walking and touring the different attractions.

• Manara's Profile Photo

A palatial accommodation, but not too expensive

Two elegant palaces of the 19th Century have been combined to create this hotel. The entrance, the halls, the charming breakfast room in a glass-roofed courtyard, all contribute to form an impression of aristocratic life-style.
    Here you will find the service and all the comforts of a 5-star hotel, but the bill is more reasonable than in other 5-star hotels in Vienna, especially if you can take advantage of one of the various discount formulas available with the Radisson Sas chain.

Unique Quality: The location is great, in one of the elegant avenues of the Ring that encircles the oldest part of Vienna. From the windows of the front side you can see the monument to Johann Strauss, and a short walk along the Weihburggasse will take you to the Cathedral and the Graben.

Directions: On the Ring, opposite to the Stadtpark

More about Radisson Sas Palais Hotel

Excellent location, rooms & staff at Radisson SAS Palais

by TripAdvisor Member Ann_Carol

We spent 5 nights at the end of October and were delighted with our choice of hotel. The Radisson SAS Palais is conveniently located on Stadtpark, a short walk from Old Town sights, the City Air Terminal/Train and near shops/restaurants. Service was excellent, with all staff being attentive and very welcoming, as well as speaking excellent English.
We were pleasantly surprised to find delicious Viennese pastries awaiting us in our well-furnished room on the 4th floor. While the hotel is actually two palaces, they have blended the best of the traditional (high ceilings, exquisite lobby & reception areas) along with modern, fully functional bathrooms with complimentary bathrobes. Little touches like champagne as well as wine glasses in the mini-bar were consistent with the overall elegance of the hotel.
This was our first visit to Vienna for a conference taking place in the very non-descript Vienna Hilton, but we will certainly be back and would definitely return to the Radisson SAS Palais.

The Palace of Comfort

by TripAdvisor Member KSergey

I love the Radisson SAS Palais Hotel. Since 2000 I have stayed at the Radisson a few times. And always, at very reasonable price, I got enjoyable experience of comfort and excellent service.
The hotel’s absolute advantage is its location at the Parkring in front of the beautiful Stadtpark. All the Vienna’s main places of interest – the galleries, museums, palaces, theatres, cathedrals, et al. - are of a walking distance from the hotel and at your disposal: the Belvedere, Hofburg, Opera, Museum of Art & History, St. Stephan Cathedral.
This year I stayed at the renovated Radisson SAS Palais in the beginning of May. As usual, everything was OK. The checking in took some minutes. All the guests get the plastic key-cards inserted into the special booklets describing the hotel’s facilities and including the city map with underground plan and full information on Vienna’s sightseeing tours and shopping. The friendly and helpful reception staff did their best to meet all my needs. Just a remark: when I asked to book a table at the hotel’s restaurant for the late dinner after the Opera’s night performance, they arranged that in a few moments assuring that the kitchen would wait for me till 11 p.m. When I came to the empty restaurant at 10:45 p.m., I was the only client they were waiting for with a fully served table and lighting candles on it.
The room facing the city park was quite small but very clean, stylish and comfy. It had a bathroom with a tug and shower, hair drier, vanity mirror, trouser press, mini-bar, TV-set, air conditioning, safe-box. The room was very well designed - all the fabrics used for the wall hangings, floor carpet, bedspread, window curtain were of common style and color tones.
The Super Buffet Breakfast is offered at the “Palais Café” located on the ground floor in the covered courtyard near the lobby. The variety of food and drinks for breakfast just strikes. The freshest meat and dairy products are nicely served on the ice. The choice of fresh juices seems endless. Home made cakes; tarts, croissants and other bakery are superb.
But the real gourmet pearl of the Radisson SAS Palais is its “Le Siecle” restaurant located on the second floor. Its fish dishes are simply exquisite. The excellent food along with extremely professional service creates the unforgettable stylish atmosphere making you to come back again and again.
No doubt, my next visit to Vienna I’ll stay at the Radisson SAS Palais Hotel.

A Great Find in Vienna

I stayed with a group of 12 Americans (6 couples) at the SAS Radisson Palis Hotel in Vienna in March 2006.
This is a superior hotel and extremely well priced.
The rooms are generous sized, clean and baths spotless. The hotel food is outstanding. The location is tops in Vienna, as it is within easy reach of many touring spots. We walked many places or took the tram. (2Euro) The staff at the hotel went out of their way to accomodate our group and help us plan tours. This is truly a find in Europe as it is an extremely fine hotel at an extremely reasonable rate.

great location helpfull staff

by TripAdvisor Member gefanjan

After reading a bad review about this hotel on this website l was expecting the worst.
However l have nothing but praise for the hotel and staff.
Our room was spotlessly clean, the furniture carpets etc like new. We only had breakfast at the Radisson so l can't comment on the dining room for evening meals but the breakfast was superb. The staff from the doorman to the waiting and reception team were really helpfull in thier approach and nothing was too much trouble.

One of Vienna's best

by TripAdvisor Member Jabba_H

My fiance and I recently stayed at the hotel over the last Bank Holiday weekend. Service was exemplary, all staff were very very helpful, facilities were very good, nothing was too much trouble, rooms were very tidy, clean and functional. If I had to pick one fault it would be that that we had to go down one floor to find a working Ice-making machine, but that was about it.

Location is very good, getting to and from the airport was never a problem and this hotel is a credit to the Radisson brand. I have found so far that certainly in Europe the Radisson brand is quite strong and you know what you are going to get for your money. I have yet to be disappointed.

Certainly if I am in Vienna again, this hotel will be top of the list. And no, I dont work for Radisson either!

Comments