13 Kirova str., Minsk, 220040, Belarus
Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Minsk

Minsk's trolley busMinsk's trolley bus

me 1me 1

Yuzif Kaminsky statueYuzif Kaminsky statue

Victoria Milling WheatVictoria Milling Wheat

by rahemtul

Hi everyone. I wonder if you can help me at all.

I want to come to the Minsk State Linguistic University for 5 months from January - June.

The university needs various documents from me before it can send me the letter of invitation (passport, health certificate etc. all translated into Russian - should not be too much of a problem).

But the main problem is that before they can send me the letter of invitation, I need to tell them where I will be living, and they need the contact details of the owner so that they can confirm it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about finding an apartment/a room in an apartment in Minsk, while I am still here in London? And also, what the prices should be?

It seems to me that what I really need is a friend/relative in Minsk who's contact details I can give to the university and who will confirm to the university that I am staying at their place...?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rahim

Re: English student wants to come Minsk for 5 months...but how to find a place to live?

by goodfish

I assume, by university, that you mean BSU? I see that they have a few residence halls. Could you tell them that you would like to stay in a residence hall, and ask for information regarding engaging a spot in one of them? This is probably much more likely a scenario than finding someone here on VT willing/able to take you in.

by goodfish

My apologies. I see now that you've listed the university as Minsk State Linguistic and not BSU!

by rahemtul

Yes it's MSLU.

I wish it could be that simple as getting a place in the student residence, but unfortunately, the university have told me that they don't have any room so I have to find accomodation on my own.

What do people think of the following plan:

Over the internet, I could probably arrange to rent an apartment for at least the first month. This would give me somewhere to go when I arrive and also an address to tell the university so that they can produce the letter of invitation, and I can get the visa.

Then, when I am in Minsk, I can look around for a new place if I need one. (From what I understand, If I did move, I would have to then register myself at a new address both with the university and the local authorities?)

I really have no idea how much a room/apartment should cost, and I worry that booking something through e-mail/internet from here in London could be expensive and when I get to Minsk I will discover prices are actually lower then what I paid, or I can get something better/closer to the university etc. which is why I only want to book something for the first month, so I have time to look around when I get there.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Basically, I guess what I'm wondering is: do I need to know before I get to Minsk, the address where I will be staying for the whole 5 months, or is it enough to give the university and the embassy an address where I will stay for the first month, and then maybe change it when I get there, if I find something better?

many thanks for any help and for reading this long post!!

by barbed

plain, no-frills, furnished 1 bedroom appt will set you back $250+ per month. I would suggest to contact some sort of realtor agency in Minsk. They normally charge some reasonable amount for their services and may help you to rent a flat.
Check out this site: http://t-s.by/en/ it is one of the well-established agencies, and (amazingly :-)) they have an english version of their site.
Well, if you are really adventurous person, here is the link to classified adds site: http://irr.by/cat/realestate/rent-flats/longtime/

Travel Tips for Minsk

City of lights

by Raimix

It is said that Minsk at night time is quite different from day time Minsk. I should say it is true.

The central part of Minsk is very beautifully lightened. Even if some buildings are not so beautiful, lights make visible these details that are best accents of buildings.

In my opinion, Minsk is the most beautifully lightened city I ever seen (still) :)

Map

by moonraka

Try to buy a Minsk visitor guide, we bought ours in the hotel. It is a pictorial representation which makes it very easy to use.

Minsk has lots of statues and memorials but we found the 'Memorial to Hitler Genocide Victims' very moving. Its not a bundle of laughs but then its not to be. We went there at dusk which made it very atmospheric. Find it behind the Jubleinaya hotel (no 46 on the map) A very safe city, wonderful relaxed atmosphere. Lots of trees and green spaces. I wish english teenagers were so respectful. We shall be going back soon

St Simeon and St Alena

by bugulma

The catholic cathedral was built in 1905 by Voinilovich businessman in honour of his children who died in early age. The church is situated near of Independence Square (I heard sometimes that it has name Red Church as well). After WWII there was cinema theatre here. Nowadays it is a church again.

Central Park (Gorky Park)

by bugulma

The central Park is situated in the central part of city, near of Victory Square and the City Circus, on the bank of Svisloch' River. I'd like to visit the park in spring time and get a circle with attraction in 54 high meters and to see all city as panorama view.

Maria Virgin Kostel

by bugulma

Kostel of Maria Virgin is situated in Nemiga area, just in opposite of City Hall. It was built in the end of XVII - beginning of XVIII centuries. Then it became the church of Jesuits Order till the end of XVIII century, when the order was forbidden.

Comments