Oktyabrskaya

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Minsk

my girlfreindmy girlfreind

bells ring from the towerbells ring from the tower

An OstrichAn Ostrich

I like the tree-lined street.I like the tree-lined street.

Currency and paying for taxis

by coopersg

I need to get from the railway station to the airport in the middle of the night in Minsk soon. I cannot obtain Belarus cash in advance. Will a taxi driver take Russian Rubles, or Euro, or even USD?
...and to save me the hassle, how much should I expect to (really) pay for the trip?

by melek02

There is change office on the 2nd floor which is open 24 hours, at least it was open at 5 am 3 weeks ago.
Look to my tip about exchange rates here http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/125e23/167/1/

by coopersg

Thanks for that. Do you know how much a taxi is likely to charge for the trip?

by coopersg

I should have also said - the exchange you mention is on the 2nd floor - of the station or the airport?
Thanks,

by melek02

hi Steward, I was talking about exchange of the railway station.
There are 2 airports in Minsk, one is very close to city center and another one is 40 km away.
I used only close one and it was very inexpensive, all taxis have taxi meter there, I don't think I paid more then 15 USD. Maybe you first ask how much the taxi is and after that you will change your money.
Aha I found some prices for you on official sites of taxi companies, it says they charge about 75 000 -100 000 for national airport which is not more then 35 USD.
Maybe some local will write the real prices.

by coopersg

Excellent Yana. Thanks for that info. It's Minsk-2 airport I need.
(I'm on my way to Moscow).
Best wishes,

by melek02

fortunatly for me and unfortunatly for yuo I'm leaving Moscow today for my 3 week vacation :)
I hope you know that you need another visa for Belarus...
Have a nice trip :)

by coopersg

No problem. I'm not making this trip until 7 July. Yes, I have both visas!
Have a nice vacation,

by coopersg

Got my taxi without any problems. He took Russian Roubles, which was good because I took the risk that they would be accepted.

Travel Tips for Minsk

History and Modern

by litcatbel

As I was born in Minsk, so, It is my city and I'd like everyone to join. I've been to different countries and in comparison with others my country in some cases has more advantages than others. It is rather safe country and cities are clean.
What about Minsk? Minsk is the capital of the Republic of Belarus and its industrial, political, scientific and cultural centre. The city is situated in the heart of Belarus—on the crossroads of trade routes from the East to the West.

Among the sights that you will see are:

—Independence Square with the House of Government;

—the “Red” Krasny Roman Catholic Church;

—Victory Square with its 38 meters grey obelisk and eternal flame honoring the heroes of World War II;

—Yanka Kupala Park with a wonderful fountain;

—Troitskoye Predmestye (Trinity Suburb)—restored buildings of the down-town of the 19th cent;

—Holy Ghost orthodox Cathedral and St.Peter and

—Paul's Church—architectural monuments of the 17th century

In the whole Minsk is full of romantic and modern tones.

Absolutelly MUST see the...

by DanaK

Absolutelly MUST see the Traetskaye suburb. This is the only part of the city that has been renovated to how it was originally, as Minsk was completely destroyed during the WW2.... Of course my friends and memories of my childhood and school time.

Prospekt Nezavisimosti (Independence Avenue)

by bugulma

Prospekt Nezavisimosti is the longest street of the city and crosses along the whole city. I recommend you to walk along. Maybe you don't find some extra interesting because all buildings are of 50-60 of XX century but the wide avenue impressed me very much. I recommend you to begin to walk in Independence Square. Or, opposite, from Park of Chkalovtsev (near of the metro station with the same name).

Svisloch' River

by bugulma

Svisloch' River flows along whole city, mostly in the parks. It is nice in winter times too although most parts of the river is under ice. But in some area you may see "open" water and it is favorite places for ducs :-) In the picture, Svisloch' River (under ice) near of Sport Palace.

National Fine Arts Museum

by bugulma

National Fine Arts Museum is situated in Lenin Street, which crosses Karl Marx street near of Dynamo football stadium. It has quite rich collection of art though not big. First of all they have interesting exhibits of wooden religious figures of iconostasis of XVII-XVIII century. Besides they have good collection of Russian and Belorussian painters as well as classical works of some European painters. The entrance is BYR 1300 (EUR 0.50).

Comments