Sputnik

Sensible middle-class hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 28, 2014

I liked Sputnik.
Many thousands Russian tourists like Sputnik, too – book in advance and check Russian national holidays, it is full-booked in May, June and January.

The room is nice, quite enough space for one person and one suitcase. The bathroom is spotless, and the fixtures look – maybe they are just very well maintained.
The furniture looks new, too, although it is not – I’ve seen it on VT member HORSCHECK’s page, but quality stuff keeps good look for years. The chairs and, what’s more important, the bed are very comfortable (the matrass is of a higher standard, than the one in the hotel Beltransgaz). By the way, I’ll find out if the furniture is home-made, Belarus is well-known for its furniture, they should make their hotels a showcase for their products. For example, hotel Minsk, more central and expensive, has the same furniture, only in ruby shade.
The TV set ‘Horizont’ is definitely made in Minsk, it shows about 30 channels – two English-language, Arabic, Spanish and German (I noted there was no French). Then there are three Belarusian channels, one showing vintage Soviet films – I enjoyed a 1950s’ musical, they had good voices at that time.

This makes me recall the plasma TV in the breakfast room with its intrusive pop songs, nearly drove me mad. Otherwise everything is OK; I mean, for hearty eaters it’s absolutely great – they have five sorts of meatballs for breakfast! For my part I would prefer them to spend the fund on cheese and bread, but I know my compatriots are positively in raptures about Sputnik’s buffet breakfast.
If you like vintage design, you will note the chairs – indeed they rather suit a 19th century boutique hotel.

Speaking about times, Sputnik was built in 1963, and the outward design is rather modest. But guess what I like most about this place – the walls! They are no less than 50 – 70 cm thick; the temperature in the street went below zero when I was there, but it was very comfortably warm inside. No wonder they hardly need any health-threatening air-conditions in summer.
No noise either: trust me, I normally hear an alarm-clock in the neighbouring room, and my windows went out into the street – all quiet at night. There is a lovely little park in front of the hotel.

So far I am quite happy with their service; I have asked numerous practical questions about the city, and they answer within an hour. Wi-Fi available and free, but a bit uneven.

The location is not exactly central, but then their tariffs are affordable.
The distance from the railway station is 1.5 km on the map, it's about 15 minutes on foot, but with the luggage you won't like it; better take bus or trolley-bus, just two stops.

P.S.
I've seen an ad on their site - they have vacant rooms during Ice Hockey Championship this May.
Looks like they could do with more guests, I'll see if I can figure out a sensible itinerary for budget groups to keep them busy.

Unique Quality: Functioning Internet site in Russian / English / German

Two other important points – refrigerator in the room and cold/hot water dispenser on the floor; you can easily make your own tea/coffee, or even quick lunch with instant soup (I did exactly that).

A bank and ATM around the corner – workable, I used it.

Two budget ‘Dor-Ors’ shops (I’ll tell you about this brand in another tip) – food supermarket and haberdashery, where you can buy ladies’ cotton socks for $ 1.5, sun hat or soap. Oh no, soap is one thing you won’t need, they give you a full supply of toiletries in Sputnik – soap, shower gel, shampoo, toothbrush & toothpaste, hair brush and even nail file, and a new package comes every day!

Directions: Bus 100 to city centre
Bus 10, 45, 47, 53 or trolley-bus 27, 43, 51 from / to the railway station
Bus 300 to / from airport - first to the railway station, walk to the bus station nearby

HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Hotel Sputnik

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 19, 2012

Among the slightly overpriced middle class hotels of Minsk, the Hotel Sputnik seemed to be one of the better options. So we decided to use it as our base for 5 nights in Minsk in summer 2011. We booked the hotel together with our visa through an agency in Vilnius (Lithuania).

Hotel Sputnik has more than 150 rooms, a large lobby, a restaurant, conference rooms and a so called business centre, where internet and a printer is available for a small extra charge.

Our standard double room cost about 75 Euro per night. The relatively small room was equipped with a mini bar, a satellite TV and a desk. The price also included a buffet style breakfast which was okay-ish.

The receiption staff were always friendly and spoke sufficient English. All in all we were quite happy with our stay in the hotel.

The website provides very helpful descriptions about how to get to the hotel from the different bus and train stations as well as the airports Minsk 1 and 2.

Directions:
Hotel Sputnik is located approximately 20 minutes on foot south of the Independence Square (Ploschad Nezavisimosti). The bus stop in front of the hotel is served by several buses going along Independence Avenue (e.g. bus #100) as well as buses going to the train station (e.g. bus #53).

10 Photos of Sputnik

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Sputnik

• Restaurant
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Business Services

Minsk Travel Forum

Need advice about Minsk, Belarus? Visit the Travel Forum for Minsk and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Minsk hotel reviews

Gorky Park
Dudutki Museum
Sensible private tour
Things to Do
Booking events online - ‘Kvitki’
‘Prince Igor’ in Minsk Opera
Café Rostok – local fast-food
Restaurants
30 eurocents’ city tour #1
Things to Do
Belarusian and Russian are different languages
Aeroport bus # 300
Transportation
Ballet is not just about movement
Local Customs
They think we are oligarchs!
‘No Photo’ means just that
Cards and ATMs
Local Customs
McDonald’s - for a tourist on the run
Restaurants
Red Bus Tour
Minsk video tour
30 eurocents’ city tour #100
Bus # 100 changes route
Currency rates
Belarus travel
Local Customs
Booking events online - ‘TicketPro’
KGB Headquarters