Boulevard Charles Quint 27b, Mons, Hainaut, 7000, Belgium
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Mons

train stationtrain station

town hall and belfrytown hall and belfry

Grand PlaceGrand Place

and there lies the market square of Monsand there lies the market square of Mons

Live in Mons or Tournai???

by chace411

Hello,

I may be moving to Hainaut Provence and am torn between where to live between Tournai and Mons. We definitely would prefer to live in a 80-100 m2 apartment and have access to the city. We do not want to live in a house.

The wikipedia pages and pictures are not enough for me to tell the difference between…the amount of parks…trees and the slope of the surrounding land…i.e. rolling hills or just plain flat. I realize this is a tough question, but anything you could offer is greatly appreciated.

Re: Live in Mons or Tournai???

by chace411

Thanks a bunch. More metropol..is what i'm looking for. I was concerned that I would find that in a town the size of Tournai....I figured that Mons, since it had 3 universities...would be a little more 'alive'. I appreciate your reply.

Travel Tips for Mons

GRAND PLACE

by lmkluque

In French it is Grand Place. In Dutch it is Grote Markt. In English it is Town Square.

A visit to the Grand Place on Market day, holidays, on days of concerts or any other day, is amazing. There are shops and restaurants, banks and tourist information and this is the ideal place to meet friends, planned or not.

In the short time I stayed in Mons I met two Belgian friends, unexpectedly, on two different occasions.

If there in May, try to see...

by JRambo

If there in May, try to see the Dodo. This is a festival from the middle ages that celebrates the towns survival of the plague (or something like that). But anyway there is a big parade, the big push of the cart up the hill by the cathedral which if successful means another year of good luck. And the reenactment of the slaying of the dragon in the Grand Place, which gets a bit crazy. Sitting on the Grand Place with a beer or glass of red wine, any day, anytime.

University years, community years

by Norali

I spent here some of my University years. For half those years, I used to commute between Mons and Brussels. Then, eventually rented a room in Fucam's pavillons for the last years. * Le Plaza Art: I used to hang around there a lot when I wanted to escape from the university area. I usually went tho this India film complex to find some loneliness. My University years there were the first time I lived with strangers in a campus pavillion. At some time, I always needed to escape the exciting and lively communautarian life and immerse in my lifestyle in Brussels: a bit of shopping (or at least, window-shopping), walking around the center, browsing bookshops and Indie films to end with. Check my nightlife tips for details

*Sharing your kitchen, bathroom, toilets with 10 people who are not your family members. That was something. Arguments about dishwashing since some liked to pile up dirty dishwares before washing. Others did dishwashing regularly. I just discovered that I am not that lax and cool as I thought. Well, I don't mind people do what they want with dirty dishwares as long as they keep them in their rooms. Problem is, at some time, our kitchen and dining-room were like garbage depots due to some people who didn't show respect to others.

*The advantage was having people of your age to talk to in case of sadness. This is compared to renting a room in privately-owned house with only mean old woman as company.

Caress the monkey

by Mahieu

It is said that, if a young girl who wants to get married, caresses the monkey with her left hand, she will have her wish come true in the following year. It is also said that if a young couple does this, they will know a fortunate event the following year.

You need proof?
Crown Prince Philip and Princess Mathilde of Belgium caressed the monkey on the 9th of February 2000. Half 2001 they announced the pregnancy to the Belgian population!

Lumeçon Battle

by Mahieu

On the same day as the Car d'or procession, the famous 'Lumeçon' battle takes place in Mons. The battle is based on the story of Saint George slaying the dragon.To illustrate Saint George's battle against evil, a play during which the dragon was killed became part of the entire Trinity procession in Mons. Saint Georges, dressed with a yellow helmet and white pants, is accompanied by helpers (les Chinchins). The green dragon is 9,5 meters long and weighs about 180 Kg.
It is said that if you manage to get some hairs of the tail, it' ll bring you luck. That's why hundreds of people take part in the battle.

Comments