Alfa Waldorf Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Antwerp

on the left my favourite, Quetzal and Chcochocon the left my favourite, Quetzal and Chcochoc

Brasserie HulsthoutBrasserie Hulsthout

Grote MarktGrote Markt

Vlaamse OperaVlaamse Opera

Taste Festival

by northeast80

Hi All
I'm visiting Belgium 23-27th Aug. Can anyone tell me when the Antwerp Taste Festival actually is? I've seen different dates on the web, some say 10-31st Aug whilst others say it's a 3 day event on the 5-8th Aug.

Also can anyone recomend a brewery or two to visit? I'll be around Brugge, Ypres, Ghent and Antwerp. I'm thinking of a place where you can go and taste and buy a bottle and that has a pub attached to it. Microbrewery / Trappist that kind. There are so many on the web I don't really know where to start! Or if anyone knows of a website with a map showing where the breweries are that'd be great too.

Many thanks

by irisbe

In Bruges you can visit De Halve Maan, they do tours. in Diksmuide you could visit De dolle brouwers. you could contact De Koninck in Antwerp but I doubt they give visits. Give it a try :) you can taste this beer all over the city : http://www.dekoninck.be/
or in Antwerp we also have Het Pakhuis, microbrewery and tasting:
trappist are only made in monasteries and so far I only know Orval that you can visit on special request and when you are into brewing, that is in Province of Luxembourg, not even in the neighborhood you are going to :)
Antwerp has Westmalle trappist brewery but normally the brewery is not opened to public, although I have been there once.
You could give it a try. the pub is at the other side of the road.
cheers :)

by northeast80

Thanks Danni, that's really helpful. I'll google those places.

by Saar123

The best Trappist beer is "Westvleteren".
It is one of the only ones that are still brewed by monks.
It is expensive because they only brew it limited. For example: not every pub/bar or restaurant sell it. And if they do, you pay about 10 euro for a bottle.
If you visit the brewery you can only buy a limited amount.

www.sintsixtus.be/eng/home.htm

by irisbe

I agree, Westvleteren is one of the best
I would like to add, just to avoid people getting confused between abbey beers and trappist beers, the difference between both.

ALL trappist beers are brewed in a monastery, along certain deontological rules and procedures.

The other ABBEY beers are NOT trappist beers NOT brewed in an abbey and are brewed under a license of an abbey or monastery. In other words, the abbey "lend" their name to it (get money to do so ofcourse) but they are brewed in commercial breweries.

example, Maredsous is brewed at the brewery of Duvel Moortgat.

fyi: http://www.trappistbeer.net/trappist_portalEN.htm

Travel Tips for Antwerp

Tourist office

by yashiko

here you can find all kinds of information on antwerp and make reservation for guided tours in the city. Also you can buy good guide books from this place fot cheap prices.

grote markt , 2000 Antwerpen

When walking allong the big...

by Zakkeman

When walking allong the big shopingstreet 'Meir' ; you should see the student pubs on the North of it ...
All sorts of beer are served , in many of these bars you will find bartenders only speaking English ...
In others people will be dressed prettyu extravagant .
Talk to them , get to know this new age cultures ... The night I was walking on the streets , talking to the walls , and met the greatest people on earth ...
Visit : Kassa - Ossenmarkt

The Torture Museum

by Nathalie_B

Antwerp has Torture Museum, the problem is that no matter at what time you're going there it's always closed ;-) The sign on the door says that the museum is open from 10 am to 5 pm everyday, but it looks like noboby is there to open this door. We rang the bell several times and there was no answer. So now I wonder if it's a real museum or just a trap fro tourists like me.
Anyway, if you walk towards the Grote Markt from the central train station the museum will be on your right side on the main street called Meir. And if you succeeded to get in please drop me a line, 'cause I'd like to visit it.

After visiting Antwerpen again on July 24, 2004 I have to update this tip. THE TORTURE MUSEUM NO LONGER EXISTS!!! To bad I never had a chance to visit it ;-(

Behind me people were dining...

by Pegasus74

Behind me people were dining alfresco, some desserting while others tucking in Flemish delights but everyone has got their favorite delicious Belgian beer by their plates. And behind us stands the impressive Cathedral of Our Lady, Belgium's tallest church, which chimed 'joyful joyful we adore thee' almost every quarter of the hour. Its 120m high spire is spectacular especially at night when it is illuminated. This holy structure also houses three magnificent triptychs by Rubens, one of which is his 'Descent from the Cross'.

Boat prow in a house

by Norali

I guess many of those who went to Antwerp saw this house.

This only would not strike me. In fact, I noticed that the port activity, shipbuilding, navigating activity.. all of that has an impact not only on composition of Antwerpian population, its openness... It's reflected in the architecture too...

Here, unusual: Art Nouveau and element from the sailing, shipping activity... Well, it's not that unusual given that the owner is reported to be a shipbuilder... Buildings that are inspired by the sailing activity

I couldn't resist posting this pic... Picture from Peter' s camera

Comments