Veemarkt 37 C, Mechelen, Antwerpen, 2800, Belgium

Booking.com Travelocity IHG

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

City centre location

This hotel is exactly what you might expect from this chain – fairly basic but clean and comfortable with all the necessities for your stay. I might not have chosen it for myself (it was included in my conference package) but I can’t fault it for the money. It’s in an excellent location only two minutes’ walk from the Grote Markt, and close to all the historic sights despite its own very unhistoric appearance.

My twin-bedded room was fairly basic and would have been a little cramped for two, but was fine for me, especially I was only there to sleep. It had everything I needed – a comfortable bed, a TV (with BBC and CNN so I could keep up with the news, but no Sky etc), tea & coffee making facilities and a hairdryer. The en-suite bathroom was clean and well lit and again fine on the basics but with no frills – the only toiletries provided were those wall-mounted bottles of washing lotion and shower gel and the towels were a bit thin.

Breakfast is served in an area of the lobby and is buffet style – juices, coffee from machine (but not too bad), a good selection of rolls & bread, cheese & cold meats, yoghurt, cereals.

I paid around 60 Euros for my twin room (single occupancy) which was a discounted web rate, but my friend, who'd left it later to book, got hers even cheaper. The quoted rate is 125 Euros but I doubt many people pay that!

Unique Quality: The thing I liked most was the view of the cathedral from my room (see photo 3) and hearing its bells in the morning as I got ready for my day.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Comfortable

A typical Holiday Inn express, friendly welcome and a clean warm room with a tasty buffet breakfast included in the price.
    Good location, close to the city centre.
    Look out for happy hour in the bar, two drinks for the price of one!

Directions: Mechelen Nekkerspoel is the closest railway station.

• sam_was_here's Profile Photo

Worlds steepest underground parking ramp :)

This was a one night stop off for us after visiting a VW show in Boom. Thank god for the hotel and a shower after camping from the friday night. We initally had some problems finding the place after the sat nav broke and make some locals angry when an army of VW's missed a one way sign and went the wrong way.

The hotel was actually very easy to find, in a great location. problem one... this has to be the most hugest ramp down to the underground parking ( a very secure steel shutter door entrance/exit mind you so all was safe). This caused problems for some members of our party with slightly low cars, and a good laugh for us more sensible one. DO NOT WORRY tho if you have a normal car as these will go down fine, and as i say, very good security.

The receptionist spoke wonderful English which helped us greatly, and was ever so friendly for a large group. Serving us all quickly, but we had all pre booked so that always helps.

The rooms were the usual express by holiday in style, very clean and simple. The bed was comfy enough and the views from the room were good down the street. An enjoyable stay, the bar was lacking in glasses but well, ive never had a pint in 3 glasses before but all added to the fun!

I would recommend for all people, and even those on a budget, a night with 2 adults, and parking was 70 Euros, which is about right.

Unique Quality: Nothing really stood out but nothing was lacking,all needs catered for. Good service at good prices!

Directions: Ummm yeh.... i got lost so i cant help much...take working sat nav!

Comments