Hotel Van Eyck

Maas River near MaaseikMaas River near Maaseik

Travel Tips for Maaseik

A walk over the border

by robertgaz

From where I stay with family in Limburg , it is an 8km walk to Belgium, so one fine sunny summer day I decided to walk across the border to Heppeneert via Maaseik.

My meander along the Maas River and through the green meadows and tidy villages of northern Limburg started in Buchtenand then to Holtum before stopping for an ice cold Dutch beer at Illikhoven.

It was about a 25km round trip but I made sure that I stopped frequently for frothy refreshments along the way. I sampled a different beer at each cafe and a huge lunch of fried ham and eggs in Heppeneert before taking my wobbly boots home.

Near the Belgian-Dutch border

by robertgaz

"Maaseik"

Maaseik is a small Belgian town not far from the Dutch border. It has a ancient town square with a few pubs and cafes where you can enjoy one of the many memorable Belgian beers with some pommes frites.

"Map of Maaseik"

On the map I have circled Buchten, where my walk began, Maaseik, where I crossed the Dutch-Belgian border and also Heppeneert, where I lingered a lille longer for a lovely lunch and then commenced the slower walk back.

Comments