Chambres D'hotes Hotel Verhaegen

Oude Houtlei 110, Ghent, 9000, Belgium
Chambres D'hotes Hotel Verhaegen
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Gent

The Old Harbour (with crane in background!).The Old Harbour (with crane in background!).

Instruction PanelInstruction Panel

Pyrus Calleryana (Callery Pear Tree)Pyrus Calleryana (Callery Pear Tree)

Drum of the "music machine" at the topDrum of the "music machine" at the top

HOW I GET FOLLOWING THINKS!

by irfankash

HELLO ANY ONE TELL ME ABOUT THESE THINGS:

Can I book Hotel without CREDIT CARD?

How can I get Invitation Letter from a Travel agency From Belgium!

by craic

Hullo, I live in Australia and I see that you live in Pakistan so I presume you are a Pakistani citizen.

I don't think it is possible to book a hotel (over the internet) without a credit card - or a debit card. How do you pay your deposit? Even if you rang them or faxed them the hotel would want your card details.

I don't think travel agencies issue letters of invitation. Did you read somewhere that they did?

by leics

I do not think you will be able to book amy hotel online or over the phone without a credit or debit card, sorry.

If you were taking an organised tour fro Pakistan to Belgium then a letter of invitation would almost certainly be part of the arrangements, but I do not think travel agencies generally issue them.

by besbel

Invitation letters come from any regular Belgian asking you to visit them, not from the travel agency.
If you buy a travel package from a travel agency, it can issue an itinerary with hotels, trains, etc which goes as supporting documentation regarding your activities in Belgium. In that case, you don't need a Belgian travel agency for that, a Pakistani one can do it.
Good luck,
Flor de Maria

by breughel

A reservation without a credit car is indeed becoming nearly impossible. It is a protection for the hotels against "no show" clients.

What you can do, when arriving in a city like Gent, is to go to the tourist office and call from there some hotels to see if they have a free room and at what price.
When you have found one, you go there, take the room and tell them that you will pay cash. Cash payment (in Euro of course) is still usual in Belgium even if the reservation was made with indication of a credit card. The hotel might well ask you to pay in advance.

by Beausoleil

Some hotels will take a personal check on your home bank for a reservation. When you call to reserve (or e-mail) ask if they will accept a personal check for the reservation. We usually pay with a credit card and they return our check since it is not in their currency. Cash would also work.

Enjoy your trip.

by breughel

Since the Euro cheques (with bank guaranty) disappeared a few years ago, personal cheques are no more in use in Belgium (on the contrary of France).

by breughel

There is a possibility with most hotels of an advance payment (of part of the stay) with an international bank transfer.
No bank cost inside the EU when using the IBAN bank number.
From outside EU there will be bank transfer costs.

Travel Tips for Gent

Tourist Information Centre

by St_Vincent

This photo was taken from in front of the Cathedral across Sint Baafsplein and shows the Belfry Tower with the Cloth Hall in front.

The Tourist Information Centre is situated on the ground floor of the Cloth Hall and is open from around 9.30am until late afternoon.

The Cathedral of St. Baaf

by zrim

As seen from the top of the Belfort.

Lonely Planet states that St. Baafskathedraal is unimpressive from the exterior. Bah, what do those nitwits know. The cathedral is one of three major churches in the center of Ghent and part of a series of three impressive towers that gives Gent its tremendous skyline.

Gent Tip

by pollon

meeting a VTer... a not more VTer...??? well... meeting the, as he also called me, Gent internet friend of mine luc... cannot say belgian, his origin are german... ;-) and cannot say more: I have always been a disaster expressing compliments and feelings with words...

making it ours

by richiecdisc

On my first trip to Ghent I was amazed at the Gothic Architecture and on this second pass I was happy to show it to D. Neither of us was disappointed despite the often dreary weather. Someday I'd like to go back when the weather's better! Planning trips is one of the great joys of anyone that truly loves to travel. There are some I guess that would rather have someone else do it for them but to me; they are missing something in the process of turning dreams into reality. Prior to my most recent excursion to Belgium and Ghent in particular I was in my normal mode of finding places to stay and one place kept popping up. It was a great find five years earlier on my inaugural trip there but I shied away from it as I had spent that trip with another girl before I was married. My wife knew this and I didn’t want to stir up any problems when there had to be hundreds of other nice accommodation choices. Doreen started her own search and found one that sounded like a real winner. Though I knew she’s love the place I had stayed I knew it was best to give in on this particular occasion. Unfortunately her place was booked and as much as we searched there just didn’t seem to be anything that fit all of our criteria. Time was running short so we booked it and hoped for the best. As the trip drew closer I could sense Doreen’s apprehension and even I was feeling a bit anxious over our choice. We arrived in town on a dreary and wet day but it was easy to find the place even on foot from the center. The owner welcomed us in warmly and the flat presented itself as amazingly as I remembered it. Doreen loved it immediately and soon all of our worries seemed unnecessary. We set about making it “ours” as much as humanly possible but with so much to see in such a short period of time we found we never got to spend nearly as much time there as we would have liked to. We left three days later knowing that if we were ever to visit the great city again that there would be little question as to where we would stay. It was our flat now.

This is The Meat Hall dating...

by steventilly

This is The Meat Hall dating from the 1400's, it was the market from which the butchers of Gent would operate. It has a lovely gabled fron to it, and a nice setting on the Leie (it is also very close to a great pub, Het Waterhuis!).

Comments