I stayed in hotel Flandria for two nights with my husband in August 2006, and would definetely recommend it to young travellers. Hotel was very centrally located, rates (50 euros for double ensuite and 40 euros for double with shared facilities) were low and hotel had a free Internet in the lobby.
Breakfast was quite good and service in the hotel was excellent.
This is the cutest hotel I've ever stayed in, I absolutely loved it, and will definately return. The hotel is an old house that they have converted. The rooms are small, but extremely cozy and charming. The staff was very friendly and forthcoming with suggestions for day trips and sightseeing.
Unique Quality: Some of the rooms have lovely views of old town, really nice. The rooms are quaintly decorated, nothing fancy, but clean and charming. The breakfasts were wonderful, delicious yogurt, fresh eggs and bread. The hotel is a few minutes walk to all the major attractions, extremely convenient. We did not have a car, and there was not a big problem getting to and from the train station.
Directions: Near Old Town
1. Can anyone give me specifics about travelling by public transport from St Pieters train station to the stop nearest Baarestrat?
2. Apart from St Pieters there appears to be another station Ghent Damport? Is this a station that trains would stop at regularly?
1. I have never heard of a Baarestraat, could you give more details, e.g. is it a hotel, do you have the postcode, or even a rough idea of the area? A large number of tram lines pass St. Pieters station, you can find maps as well as phone number for Gent transport service (De Lijn) on here: http://www.ugent.be/en/foreignstud/exchangeprogst/socrates/transport.htm
2. Yes, you can catch trains from that station to Antwerp, Eeklo etc. but if you want to travel to/from Brussels, Brugge, Ostende etc., you need St. Pieters.
Many thanks for all info.
It is the Hotel Flandria-Centrum, Barrestraat 3, Ghent 9000.I know it is in the cnetre of Ghent but would like to know the number of tram/trolley/bus to catch from the station and where to get off.
from Gent Sint-Pieters:
- Tram 1 (about every 10 minutes), direction Evergem, until "SINT-NIKLAASSTRAAT", then about 500m on foot (see maps on www.gent.be or other route planners)
Busses run every hour (so two possibilities, both leaving bus-perron 5 in front of the station)
- Bus 58 (Direction Eeklo), until "REEP" (200m from hotel)
- Bus 55 (Direction Zelzate), until "REEP" (200m from hotel)
Damport-station has other possibilities, but I think they are only interesting if you come from Antwerp (because then the train will stop here first).
Let me know if things are not clear...
And have a great time in Ghent,
Many thanks indded. That is very helpful.
Hoogpoort 63, (formerly "Sofitel"), Ghent, East Flanders, 9000, Belgium
Kraanlei 37, Ghent, East Flanders, 9000, Belgium
Koningin Astridlaan 138, Ghent, East Flanders, 9000, Belgium
Nederkouter 24-26, Ghent, East Flanders, 9000, Belgium
Latest Gent hotel reviews
We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:
Address: Barrestraat 3, Ghent, B-9000, Belgium