Nederkouter 24-26, Ghent, East Flanders, 9000, Belgium

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• gents worst hotel

we came to the ibis gent centrum opera as majoette group of 46 people including childern for the world dancing championships in april 09 for 6 nites. we found the hotel not child friendly,when booking hotel told us they would cater for our baby and when we got tere they would not. would close the bar at 11.30 and would not serve us any drink after telling us bar closing at 12.30 were signs saying bar open till 1.00am around the hotel. we were also asked to leave lobby area and bar area which were all one with childern because there clients were having a drink,but the first to nites there was no problem with getting a drink. we found staff very unpleasent, ask for manager when we had a complant and there was none around. filled out complant for manager on third last day and got no reply before we lift. which complant card said it will be delt with in 15 minutes . OUR ADVICE IF YOU HAVE KIDS "DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL".

Unique Quality: the kitchen staff that done breakfast were the best.

the accommodation very small if big family....

• black-saturn's Profile Photo

No frills but still great

This hotel is great for it's location. About 5 minutes walk from the city centre and on a major tram route. The rooms are adequate. Don't expect any frills or luxury and you won't be disappointed. You will get a bed, chair, desk, TV, phone and an ensuite bathroom.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a really nice bar with a good selection of drinks and snack food. Breakfast was the best thing about the hotel as there were lots of different foods on offer.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Good value in the city centre

This is a very good example of a budget chain that still manages to provide a comfortable night’s sleep, a decent breakfast, pretty good service and a central location. Our room was decidedly compact (cat swinging NOT to be recommended) but it had everything we needed for our overnight stay, including a small TV, efficient shower and hair-dryer. Don’t expect any fancy toiletries, a mini-bar or porter, and you won’t be disappointed.

There is however a well-stocked bar on the ground floor and the buffet breakfast offered a reasonable selection of breads, cereals, cheeses and various spreads. There’s also internet access available and under cover parking (for both of which you need to pay a small fee).

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Well located budget accomodation

My husband has a thing for Ibis hotels that I will just never understand, when I pressed for further details on just why he gets excited when I say that I've booked one, the best he can come up with is that they are clean and uniform in quality and you know exactly what to expect. What they remind me of is my dorm room in college, functional, reasonably comfortable but without any flair.

This Ibis is no exception, in fact the other Ibis we stayed at in Luxembourg City was virtually identical in decor, same bathroom, same bedspread, like they get a big quantity discount at Ikea. The beds are usually pretty hard, toiletries include bar soap and a shampoo/soap dispenser on the wall, typically no hair dryer. The showers are always fine with plenty of hot water, towels are on the skimpy side. TV with basic channels, usually no refrigerator or mini bar and definitely never a pool or a gym.

Unique Quality: This hotel was just a short 5-10 minute walk from the center of town, located on a quiet side street. We were actually glad that we weren't closer to the center as there was a concert that night, we were jet lagged and some of the hotels right on the square would have been too noisy on that particular night.

Breakfast is never included at Ibis hotels, it was an extra 10E at this Ibis so we passed. I'm not sure if parking is included, we missed the Ibis parking lot which was before the hotel and ended up across the street at a garage paying 11.50E for 24 hours. The double room was 73E, booked from the hotel's website.

We had a little trouble finding the hotel with our car, print out a map from the hotel's website and follow the instructions and you should be fine but also have another map as backup.

• Very convenient hotel

Hotel is fairly modern and thus characterless, but friendly with great breakfasts.

Very convenient, trams 1 and 10 (From St Peters Station, through centre to Evergem and Wondergem) stop right outside. Better than a taxi!

More about Ibis Gent Centrum Opera

Info on the RLD area in Gent

by travelbuggoes

Any info or where to acquire info? Thanks.

RE: Info on the RLD area in Gent

by chrimie

Hi,
I live near Gent and maybe I can help you but I don't know what you mean by RLD.

by travelbuggoes

I was told there was a red light district in Gent similar to Amsterdams just smaller? I guess I'm wondering if so, what area or streets. Thanks.

by chrimie

Indeed, there's a small one in the 'vlaanderenstraat' nearby 'het Zuid'.

by mplessers

Actually it is the "Vanderdoncktdoorgang", also known as "het glazen straatje".

by travelbuggoes

Thanks guys. Any recommendations on hotels in the area. Thought I would spend a couple days in Ghent while in Belgium.

by mplessers

I don't use the hotels in Ghent :-)

Check http://www.go2gent.be/GO2vzwEN.cfm. I know several friends who stayed in the "Ibis Gent Centrum St-Baafs"...

by travelbuggoes

Thanks. I should have asked for hotels close to the RLD. Info much appreciated.

by mplessers

The hotel i suggested is only 500m walk...

Mplessers again thanks.