Goudenleeuwplein 5, Ghent, East Flanders, 9000, Belgium

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• St_Vincent's Profile Photo

Great location and good value

I found it difficult to fault this hotel at all at the price paid of 82 Euro per night. There is a bright and airy reception area with pleasant and efficient staff. Facilities include an outdoor terrace and swimming pool for the summer, sauna and fitness rooms and even a Playstation machine in the lobby. There is also internet access available for a couple of euro although there is only one PC and it could do with upgrading.

The rooms are comfortable with a double desk and a sofa that could turn into a second double bed. Minibar, multi-channel TV and PC modem connection. Separate WC and bathroom which has a good sized power shower and complimentary toiletries. The lifts are key card operated for extra security.

There is a well supplied breakfast buffet that fulfils all the requirements of a continental breakfast and more. The Gruuthuus bar is open 4.30pm until 1.00am and has comfortable seating and a nice ambiance. It serves a number of trappist beers and a selection of single malt whiskies and genevers that are ideal for an aperitif or a nightcap. The Cote Jardin restaurant opens until midnight.

A good place to stay, I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Unique Quality: The location is perfect being just a few minutes walk from Korenmarkt, St Bavo’s Cathedral and the River Leie and in the shadow of the Belfry Tower. An 8-10 Euro taxi ride from the train station, or 1 Euro on the tram (get off at Korenmarkt). It's also only a 30 minute walk from the station but I would not recommend doing it with luggage.

Directions: Right in the middle of the action around Korenmarkt, St Bavo's and the Belfrey.

• aah_stone's Profile Photo

Superbly Located Hotel

We stayed in the hotel for a period of 3 nights.

I found it to be excellent value considering it's very central location, and comfort. Not too far from a tram stop which is on the same line as the main station.

I used the pool and internet access with out any trouble. In fact the sunloungers by the pool were nice to relax on after a few minutes swimming.

The room itself was plenty big enough with ensuite bath/shoewroom and complimentary shower gel and shampoo.

The breakfast was as comprehensive as it needed to be, a selection of meats and cheeses, rolls, bread, fruit, juices, coffee, some hot things and cereals.

Didn't try out the restaurant or bar but both looked fine.

The staff and the service they proovided was of a very high standard, all were friendly and willing to help if the need arose.

Unique Quality: The Rooms at the front have a nice view of St Michaels Church and the streets around them. There are also some rooms with pool views.

The swimming pol is a little chilly, but there again it wasn''t the best of weather. Perfectly acceptable.

Internet access is available for a few Euros.

A small gym is available to guests as well as a sauna.

Also an outdoor table tennis table available.

Also several conference rooms are avilable for those who need them.

More about Novotel Gent Centrum

Novotel Gent Centrum Hotel restaurant

by St_Vincent about Cote Jardin

We ate there on a Monday night and although it was very quiet the waiting staff gave the impression that they were doing us a favour by being there. They seemed to get irritated that we kept ordering more bread but this was only because they kept bringing it in a tiny basket that lasted the four of us about two minutes. However the food quality was good and the prices reasonable for a hotel restaurant. Some tables have views out towards St. Nicholas' Church. I can recommend the chicken and mushroom vol-au-vent (as pictured)

Gent - Go There - Drink Beer

by St_Vincent

So, is it Gent or is it Ghent, I guess the jury is out. I believe that Gent is the local spelling and that is the one used on VT but I've always known it as Ghent. Anyway, for the purposes of my "place in the region of Provincie Oost-Vlaanderen" page on VT I will use the term Gent, for two reasons. Firstly that having been there I feel entitled to use the local spelling and secondly, I tossed a coin and it came down heads.

I first visited Gent in February 2006 and the inspiration was my fellow travelling companions. I normally hold a few days holiday over from the previous year and go away somewhere in January or February. So when one of my mates suggested a Belgian Beer Hunt I set about arranging things. After deciding on Gent and sending out a dozen invites I got four firm commitments and the Great Belgian Beer Hunt was on.

The participants were Michael, our beer consultant and a thoroughly good bloke despite being a Kiwi, Keith who rarely drinks anything less than 5%, the father and son partnership of David and James, and of course myself. All of these august Gentlemen had accompanied me on previous trips to either Prague, Budapest or both.

Eurostar was quite clearly our chariot of choice and a good choice it was, London Waterloo to the first beer in our hotel in Gent in a little over four hours (please note that from Mid November 2007 the Eurostar terminal in London will move from Waterloo to Kings Cross). Our hotel was the Novotel Gent Centrum and the location was influenced by the tips of VT member Win (RhineRoll), local Gent information was courtesy of Luc's (Luchonda) excellent page. Thanks to you both.

As befits a group of five blokes in the pursuit of ebriety, we spent much of our time in bars with the occasional bout of sleeping in between, although veteran Keith managed to combine the two at one stage. We did however take in our fair share of culture and history with The Belfry, St Bavo's Cathedral, St Nicholas' Church and the old harbour area all within close walking distance. In fact if I had to give one piece of advice to anyone thinking about visiting Gent it would be don't worry too much about location, you can walk to almost anywhere. We also managed a few hours (i.e. bars) in Brugge, which is only around 20-30 minutes away.

Hope you enjoy my Gent tips, as any regular visitor to my pages will understand, they mostly involve bars and beer with a little culture and history thrown in.

Gent - Go There - Drink Beer.

Good hotels for children

by freddybaby

I'll be visiting the Gent/Antwerp/Brussels area for business, accompanied by family including children under 12. Are there good hotels, with swimming pool, that would allow my wife access to motorways for sightseeing while I am having meetings?

RE: Good hotels for children

by qaminari

I don't think it is a brilliant idea to bring a car into the centre of Brussels (or Antwerp - and if Brugge is on the agenda, it is necesary to park on the outskirts anyway), so if you are coming to Brussels by car, it would be best to stay out near the airport, which is also close to the motorway to Antwerp and to the Ring for access to everywhere else in Belgium: I believe the Holiday Inn Brussels Airport (in Diegem) is the only one of the hotels near the airport to have a pool http://www.brussels-airport.holiday-inn.com/.

RE: Good hotels for children

by qaminari

PS If you meant, you want to stay in Gent (it isn't clear from "visiting the Gent/Antwerp/Brussels area), I don't think location is such a problem anyway, as it isn't hard to get out of the city. In that case I would recommend you stay at the Novotel Gent Centrum, which has a swimming pool. Look on here for other possibilities - but you may have to choose between being on the motorway (Formule 1, which is a chain of very basic hotels) and having a swimming pool: http://www.elis.ugent.be/LCP/hotel.php

Comments