Leuven Hotels

Our Members Say

• Norali profile photo Norali
  • Reviews: 1215
groot begijnhof: After partying in the center, a peace haven...

If you happen to study here, as an exchange/ international student, you can already have an idea of a possible accomodation. The main beguinage was restaured and houses students and guest professors.

When I walked there, I noticed the renovated buildings of the Begijnhof, the cobblestoned alleys.. and the quietness.

It was so calm and gave the impression of pushing you back in the Middle Ages. I remembered the enthusiasm of our guest Suri seeing all that. he walked some meters and said "This is something I like, I would like to study here". Then, started to consider some possible program in line with his current studies... just to fit in the Louvain begijnhof.

Hahaha... Off course, the lady of Antwerp had to react. She said: "We (Antwerp University, her workplace) have such programms, you know". Well, I replied "He wanted to study..." That cracked us up. I didn't have the time to add "...here" when she said "Oh! we have a great nightlife". I don't have any doubt aout that. Yet, Louvain is a student city and God knows how Belgian frat parties are...

Suri considered continuing his study in Leuven, following the visit of the Beguinage. Why should it be in Antwerp?

Oh well! He grabbed the camera and started shooting, shooting.

- Recently renovated houses
- Middle ages style
- Atmospheric ambience
- Groot Begijnhof (Beguine convent) is an UNESCO world heritage site since 2000.

++For price and conditions, I'd rather advise you to get in contact with the Groot Begijnhof. Check website below too for general info on student accomodations++

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Study Abroad
  • Written February 13, 2004
Tip Photo

Main beguinage turned into residence

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful