Excelsiorlaan 2, Zaventem, Flemish Brabant, 1930, Belgium

Satisfaction Terrible

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Zaventem

Sleepy people in the planeSleepy people in the plane

In the plane to MexicoIn the plane to Mexico

Alcohol & TabacoAlcohol & Tabaco

Sheraton ZaventemSheraton Zaventem

by Gili_S

I know it's near Brussels, but can anyone tell me more about this place because there is nothing here on VT?

by kiwi

Me I can!! I went there in April, oh and I stayed with some VT people!!! I'll email you.

by kiwi

Oooops, I went there in June, not April!

by B_Caro

It indeed near Brussels and it is there were the International airport is located.
I can't tell you much about the place itself as I don't know it.
They have a website, www.zaventem.be, but currently this site is under construction.

see you in Antwerp later this month
Caroline

by PavlH

I worked there a few times - the main part is a big industrial estate with a couple of cheap hotels.

by daarth

Those kiwis... They are everywere :-)))

by kiwi

It's a myth that we don't fly!!!

by Sjalen

Yes, most of it seems to be an industrial site and I know many who work out there. The village centre itself seems decent judging by what you see from the airport train but it must be noisy...Why? Have you been offered a job there or something?

by Gili_S

You know, I thought to move there, even if it’s just for the beer.:)

by Seabiscuit

Actually, it's right down the road from a HUGE furniture store (on the way to Leuven), and about 5 minutes away from VT-4 (the television station). I had a GREAT time there (little noisy though), and the freeway is just a few hops away. (Stop by the Novotel for a Chimay, tell Friedrich - the bartender - Jeff sent you!)
Jeff-

by pieter_jan_v

I was there to meet kiwi (!!); have a look at my http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/2f01c/574bf/9/#T

Bye, PJ

by Sjalen

Wonder what furniture store that would be Jeff...LOL...probably the one with a great reputation back home in Sweden (I'll make a page about Älmhult soon) but crap abroad. We had huge problems getting stuff from them...booo. Giving Sweden a bad reputation like that.

by tempura

Airport location.
Nothing to see, nothing to do except to buy some furnitures in the large Ikea store.

by Sjalen

Or go on to the village with the funny name Erps Kwerps! :-))) Or Everberg with the English shop...or the pubs of Zaventem itself...or Baby2000...or the huge and very good outdoor shop with tents, trekking maps, bikes and travel guides :-) But it's so close to Brussels you don't have to worry about things to do.

by Gili_S

Thanks for all the information & tips I got here. I can’t confirm yet a visit, I guess its only matter of time, anyhow, at list now I know something more about this place.

Travel Tips for Zaventem

nice biking, bad indoor soccer

by gmohk

i did the route around the airport with a local,
it was a very nice experience, so close to the airplanes taking off and landing, an absolute must do,
a bad experience was an indoor soccer game at the stanza stadium, against this team of unpleasent sportsman of kaffénéon, a pity the best thing about zaventem is the hospitality of the inhabitants, on my trip i was invited by a zaventem-dominican family who made some very great spagetti for me, they also had a very large aquarium

Zaventem: the past…..

by RENE_CARDOEN

Since the 17th century Zaventem developed its first industrial activity with several paper-mills like “Grellingen” (1610) and later the “Papeteries de Saventhem” (1764). In 1852 the tannery “Tannerie et Maroquinerie Belge” was founded and last but not least in 1906 the car factory “Excelsior” produced its world-famous models here in Zaventem.

Zaventem seemed to be endowed with the spirit of inventiveness and private enterprise.
Willem-Lambert (1818-1909) discovered the coal-basin of Limburg.
Ivo Maupertuis (1850-1915) invented and put together the first system for the heating of the chicory (witloof) in the ground during winter, which resulted in an important production growth.
Arthur De Coninck equipped the “Excelsior” with a revolutionary brake-system.

Cycling around Brussels Airport.

by RENE_CARDOEN

If you’re interested in cycling around Brussels Airport you can. A 31 km long cycling path leads you around the airport (surface area: 1.245 ha), along the municipalities of Steenokkerzeel, Melsbroek, Machelen, Diegem, Zaventem, Nossegem and Kortenberg. “Bike Events”, a small company offers an accurate road description and information about historical and other interesting facts. You can hire cycles for groups and on request a competent guide can lead the group.
No worry about thirst and starvation; there are plenty of pubs serving meals along the way.

Leaving from Zaventem to Mexico

by Umfufu

"We came early in the morning"

We had to get up at 5 am to be on time at the airport in Brussels. This airport is called Zaventem (just a little town just before you arrive in Brussels). That we didnt leave from Schiphol, Amsterdam, was because we booked our holiday on the internet at an Belgium firm called : Arakea (www.arakea.com) which was very cheap because they also gave us 3% discount on the total amount when we would book on line (we did, but that was a pity cause we had a little trip in mind to Mechelen where they have their compagny....)

"Nice and quiet"

Nothing hectic like in Amsterdam....well almost. Our neighbour brought us to the airport (about 1 and a half hour drive) and left us when we got the suitecases out of the car. We went in and went to the check in....there is saw Leny's beautycase...and remembered i brought mine too, but WHERE WAS it? Yes you quest it right, it was left in the car.

"Incheck Zaventem"

So we had to call the neighbour who was already more then 30 minutes on his way....and where did i got his mobil number and did he brought it with him? I had to buy a telephone card and YES i got him mobil number somewhere...it was a wonder...for us, not for the neighbour. He was a little mad at us but when he arrived again he was smiling about the stupid mistake we made. So the travel to Mexico could start.

DONT MISS THE TRAVELOGUE !!

Comments