Alegria

Hotel Alegria
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• Brujas's Profile Photo

Disappointing customer service

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Alegria (which is more a B&B than a hotel) last year in September, and stayed for 4 days. We chose Alegria, because the B&B where I usually stay at when I go to Bruges was fully booked. I read good comments on Alegria here and on other sites, but I must say I was disappointed. From the moment we arrived, and the elder lady opened the door, both of us felt sort of "unwelcome". She said "Welcome to Alegria", but in a way that only showed she didn´t really mean it, as if she were forced to say it, even though we had reservations and I had told her in advance, by e-mail, what time we would be arriving (it wasn´t even late, it was around 1 p.m.). She made us feel as if we were unexpected visitors in a private house. So our first impression wasn´t a positive one.

The staircases were another thing, even though I´m young I felt very tired going up, very uncomfortable and narrow stairs! Very inconvenient to carry the suitcases up. But that wouldn´t have mattered much if they had been friendly. I must say though, that the man (I guess the woman´s husband, since it´s run by a family) was nicer, the nicest of all there, but he was hardly there, it was mostly the elder lady who was at the reception. I can´t say she was rude either, but definitely not friendly at all.

The room was OK, big enough for European standards (we stayed at the Red Room) and clean (though we saw a couple of smashed insects in the ceiling...they could have cleaned that). If it hadn´t been for the service, it would probably had been fine, but good customer service is what makes a difference, especially in such a touristy place with lots of competition. Wouldn´t stay there again.

Would not recommend it to senior travelers in any case, mostly because of the narrow and winding stairs.

Directions: Around 3 blocks away from the Market Square.

Comments