Chateu d'hotes De Spycker

More about Brugge

brugges - royalty freebrugges - royalty free

Heilig Bloed BasilicaHeilig Bloed Basilica

Cruising the canals in BrugesCruising the canals in Bruges

locals chilling out and ignoring the touristslocals chilling out and ignoring the tourists

Bike rental logistics

by nomad7890

Looking at possibly renting a bike in Brugge around May. I have seen the tourist site and these VT pages with all the info on where to rent the bike. However, how about ...

- How do you lock the bike when you stop to see something ... do they provide a lock and chain?

- Is there threft insurance on the bikes?

Should I just rent the bike to take a ride around and walk to do the rest of sight seeing (if this question makes sense) - that is, just use the bikes to go around the farther areas. Not sure how to safeguard the bike if I stop for a bite to eat or take some photos.

by K_V_B

The bikes will come with a lock. Usually this is a "horseshoe" type lock around the rear wheel, fixed to the frame. This is sufficient theft deterrent if you don't intend to leave the bike outside overnight.
Special about these locks is that you can't remove the key from them without locking them, so whenever you are not riding your bike, lock it and take the key out.

by leics

Don't worry about security (see above).

There are zillions of bikes in Brugge (exaggeration, but you get the point).

As for walking v riding, my preference would be to walk within the historical town centre itself (it's pretty small) and hire a bike to explore further out.

Definitely ride up the canal towpath to Damme and back. A lovely trip and very easy because it's dead flat.:-)

Thanks!

When we were in Cascais I remember Pieter and Jerca happily along on their bikes when we were walking, and thought if I'm in their neighborhood perhaps I should behave like the locals.

This would be before the VT meet next year. Not sure if I'll be alone, or if my husband's caregiver will come with me. I know she does not walk much, thus the question on the bike.

By any chance, has anyone seen the adult tricycles for rent?

by leics

Did not notice any on the streets, let alone for rent.....saw lots of bikes-with-trailers-for-kids etc, but no tricycles.

Doesn't mean they don't exist for rent of course.

by Beausoleil

I'm a senior so theoretically should enjoy the tricycles. I find them very hard to balance. With 2 wheels, you have a lot of room to maneuver but with 3 wheels, if you start to lean one way or other, you tip over. Not sure why people use them except for the storage capacity. I prefer a basket and backpack.

If you think about renting one, try it first and make a couple sharp turns. You may not like it; I sure don't.

by nomad7890

Oh, it's not for me - it's for my husband's caregiver who travels with me sometimes. She is now using my husband's tricycle to lose some weight in the morning. When my husband had to stop driving, his balance was *awful*, and the tricycle offered a good transition as he could run some errands. So, she's used to the tricyle - but ours is extremely stable.

Travel Tips for Brugge

The Post Office

by lamentforicarus

Brugge's main post office is located next to the Provincial Court in MARKT square. Here you can find stamps, wrapping paper, packing tubes, postcards, and a variety of birthday cards in Flemish. Padded envelopes of all shapes and sizes are also available for shipping home boxes of chocolate or lace.

Night out

by JuliaK

I have to say that Bruges is not the busiest place I have been during night... but..
Who CARES???!!!
It was wonderfully calm and one of my best night walks... Imagine I couldnt even feel the cold... or maybe I was to "frozen" to feel it :-)
But honestly the place is great for night walks
and I think is fairly safe as well. All the beauty and the lights and the colours... and it started snowing as well on our first night!!!
It was divine!!!

Look back once in a while.

by tompt

When coming from the Burg towards the fishmarket, you will walk through a small gate. It is called the Blinde Ezelspoort.
You have just passed the colorfull Old Civil Registry. Turn around and look back, because the backside of the gate is just wonderfull to see.

Ofcourse you are better of to keep your eyes open evry time you walk through Bruges, there are hidden gems everywhere.......

he Best Belgian Chocolate at Roose!

by Marie-Claude

Every one knows that Belgian chocolate is one of the best in the world. For myself, I like eating them right after buying some, so fresh and so tasty. Brugge is overwelmed by chocolateries. The ones I prefer, they are crafted and they are the cheapest in town, are from ROOSE!!!

Havenstraat 1, Brugge (the big commercial street)

For 1Kg of pralines it is around 11 or 12ý

Leave plenty of extra room for shoes!

by kmbeckman

Bring an empty suitcase to Brugge. You will need it for all the cool clothes and shoes you'll find. I spoke with a personal shopper from Nordstrom (a large, high-end retail chain in the USA) and she was in complete agreement with my assessment on fashions in Brugge. Don't wear high heals if you plan to walk anywhere. You'll be tripping on the cobblestone streets non-stop.

Comments